What's new

Quick homemade bread - 2 smaller loaves

Gtrplyr78

Nuttin’
Member Number
Loc
West Jordan, UT
For recipe and how to check out YouTube link. Ended up adding a bit more water to my dough.

Simple ingredients: water/milk/sugar/salt/olive oil

This channel has a ton of bread recipes, among other things. Not associated, just used one below:

Attachments

• IMG_20230130_190312563.jpg
    IMG_20230130_190312563.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230130_191607864.jpg
    IMG_20230130_191607864.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
Report to Gutter Runner's Potato Soup thread stat! I followed this recipe to pair with that soup and it was amazing.

Cross-linking to the Bread Thread.

And here is the recipe in case the youtube vid goes down:

I used my KitchenAid stand mixer but mixing by hand/spoon is fine.

1) In a large bowl, combine 200ml (~7 oz) each of warm milk and warm water. I used whole milk. And instead of warm milk, I just used hotter water to bring everything to a warm temp.

2) Stir in a tbsp of sugar, tsp of salt, and a tbsp of yeast (I used active dry).

3) Mix in 600g of flour - I used all-purpose but pick whatever you like. I am always a fan of King Arthur. This is where the stand mixer was clutch. Install the dough hook and mix for about 30 seconds or whatever it takes to get your dough ball; I only needed the first speed. You know you've got a good dough when it peels cleanly from the sides but sticks to the bottom directly under the hook. See pic below.

Side bar, because the original video is from GER, the recipe uses mass instead of the typical volume measurements in the States. This is common with nearly every recipe I follow coming out of EU - it is actually a superior way to measure, especially during baking: sifted flour vs packed flour weigh out differently for the same volume.

4) Drizzle in about 4 tbsp of olive oil during the mixing - I eyeballed this.

5) Cover with saranwrap and let rise for 45-50 minutes in a warm place. Proofing the yeast ahead of time is never a bad idea if you are worried about the age of it (also increases yeast cell count). I have yet to experiment with the autolyse method; no, I am not a shill for KA - they just know a thing or two.

6) Pull the risen dough out of the bowl and split in half. Create two loaf type shapes and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Let rest for another 20 minutes or so.

7) Create an egg wash with one egg and some milk - about 1:1. Beat. Cut some nice diagonal lines across the top of the loaves after the rest in #6. It will be sticky so don't worry about how pretty it looks. Coat/brush everything liberally with the egg wash. If you don't have a brush, drizzle it on and smear it around by hand.

8) Bake at 400F for about 20-25 minutes. Keep your eye on it at the end and adjust time as necessary.

9) Enjoy.

1676813869829.png

1676813895934.png

1676813913525.png

1676813932064.png

Last edited:
I made this again to go with some scratch French onion soup last night and it remains perfect. Gonna deep dive into more of her recipes as she has it going on. Got a bit of it left which will pair wonderfully with some bangars and mash for tonight

I try not to make bread anymore. End up eating half a 3lb loaf in a sitting, which I'm.sure is awesome for me.

Made this the other night.
Definitely a soup or stew bread. And both my gf and Mom completely disagreed with the milk in the egg wash thing to the point of female craziness.
My coworkers enjoyed the 2nd loaf.

Not this bread recipe but I tried the egg wash mentioned above on the left loaf of sour dough yesterday, gave it a nice golden brown

Attachments

• 20230309_100637.jpg
    20230309_100637.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Made this the other night.
Definitely a soup or stew bread. And both my gf and Mom completely disagreed with the milk in the egg wash thing to the point of female craziness.
My coworkers enjoyed the 2nd loaf.
What is the argument? Asking out of curiosity - food science is fascinating to me.... Sometimes I wish I pursued a career in it

They both just called out blasphemy based on them having baked for years and me not.
No real science, just me not following their "rules". I have started to just experiment and sometimes it works, sometimes no. Either way I'm just having a good time and not eating fast food so fuck it.
Funniest part is they both admitted that the bread was good and had a flavor they couldn't "figure out."
I said it was probably the milk. 😆
Check out "The food lab" by J.Kenji-Lopez for some good science on cooking techniques.

Top Back Refresh