What's new
  • If you don't frequent the chat forum, make sure you read this post regarding land usage. It would be great if we could get everybody to send a comment in before Oct 7th!

Questions about an auto

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
I have a 92 4runner with a 22re and an auto, it's got north of 500,000km on it. As it stands it won't move from a stop on a hill in 4hi. 2hi is ok though. Timing is good, compression, etc. The rear main is leaking, so the trans is coming out anyway. Is it worth buying a new torque converter, and a shift kit from rock auto, or a waste of time and money, just replace the seal and re-assemble?

rockota

white collar hillbilly
Member Number
that's the A340H, correct? With the "hydraulic" tcase?

I don't think I'd rebuild it, personally.

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
So your heavy, underpowered, high mile vehicle with an auto won't start off well on a hill?

Sounds like it's working exactly as it should :laughing:

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
So your heavy, underpowered, high mile vehicle with an auto won't start off well on a hill?

Sounds like it's working exactly as it should :laughing:

That's basically my question, I have seen posts from guys on PBB spinning all 4 on 37s with a 22re and an auto, in 4hi. I don't know if that's an anomaly or if mine is extra worn the fuck out and putting a new TC in it will help. I also have never owned an auto trans before, so I don't know if this level of disappointment is typical either:laughing:

I think its an A340F, with a chain drive case not an H with a hydraulic tcase. To my knowledge the H was a 95+ unit.

I have 4.56s and stock size 31" tires.

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
That's basically my question, I have seen posts from guys on PBB spinning all 4 on 37s with a 22re and an auto, in 4hi. I don't know if that's an anomaly or if mine is extra worn the fuck out and putting a new TC in it will help. I also have never owned an auto trans before, so I don't know if this level of disappointment is typical either:laughing:

I think its an A340F, with a chain drive case not an H with a hydraulic tcase. To my knowledge the H was a 95+ unit.

I have 4.56s and stock size 31" tires.

I believe H is 22re/3.0 and the F came after.

It's funny how much power 4 hi takes vs 2 hi. Doesn't make a lot of sense when you aren't wheelin, but it's very noticeable.

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc

It's funny how much power 4 hi takes vs 2 hi. Doesn't make a lot of sense when you aren't wheelin, but it's very noticeable.

Seems to be discrepancies depending on where you look. 4x4wire says the F is behind 22re, and H is the 3vzfe, but fuck knows. Point is, is it likely that my truck will suck noticeably less if I throw money at the trans, or should I just re and re it and fix the rear main leak? I'd love to 5 speed swap it, but I have enough half disassembled shit in my life, and half collections of parts for future plans that will probably never come to fruition.

rockota

white collar hillbilly
Member Number

this is correct to the best of my knowledge. H behind the 22re/3.0 and F behind the 3.4/2.7.

Wulf

Member Number
Loc
Denver ish
I can't seem to leave shit alone so I'd consider throwing the shift kit in but not expect it to help with roasting the tires