What's new

question about double towing bumper pulls thru TN, AR, OK

MONSTERMUDDER

Let's Go Brandon!!!
Member Number
Loc
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Is this combo legal thru these states, and if anyone can back that up with a link to their respective state dmv etc regarding this I would greatly appreciate it.

I've googled for a while but cant come up with a solid answer. I know it would be legal with a goose / 5th wheel but cant find anything regarding first trailer being a bumper pull.

I need to tow a 7k bumper pull car hauler and I would like to possibly drag my practically empty 4x6 behind it so i'm kicking around this idea.

In before this is a dumb idea, who would double tow bumper pulls hey now last time I was out that way I saw plenty of sketchy double flat tow road trains so this is way less sketchy.

Thanks!

I can't speak to the legality, but I have seen a few bumper doubles in TN.

Yeah, set it on the truck, or stand up on end at the back of the trailer, if possible

Other than that, if it's single axle, and fits in that overall length spec, I think it's way different than 2 car trailers together, the single axle is the key, lots of old men towing a little boat behind a travel trailer

Dad travelled with the tag-a-long and 14' Lund all time when I was a kid. /shrug

In these kinds of edge case situations that depend on the exact letter of the law the letter of the law matters a lot less than looking reasonable and safe.

I see it done regularly in AR. Never looked at the law though.

ive done it in AR and OK but i have a cdl

heres what ive found so far

ok dps said:
b. vans, suburbans, blazers or other similar types of vehicles and self-propelled recreational vehicles with a three-quarter (3/4) ton or more rated capacity may tow a semitrailer and one complete trailer or semitrailer for recreational purposes only, provided the overall length, inclusive of the front and rear bumpers, does not exceed sixty-five (65) feet;

source;

i know it's legal in MO to pull doubles and the front trailer being a bumper pull. I called Jeff City DOT to find out. The only limitation is 65' overall length..

While I don't know for sure it's legal in AR. I saw a few trucks leaving our campground Labor Day weekend with a bumper pull camper pulling a SXS on a trailer behind it.

I would call the DOT in those three states and ask them.

Top Back Refresh