What's new

Quadcopter drone

SLiggwood

Black Star
Member Number
Loc
ARIZONA
I'm going to buy myself a new drone. One of those quadcopter type with a camera.
I have very little experience with anything RC and zero drone time.

I'm mainly looking to survey my property and buildings. I can think of plenty other uses.
Send it downrange to watch targets, maybe some SloMo shots of blowing shit up.
Exploring washes, canyons, and new trails.
But, mainly as another tool in my security arsenal. I don't want a cheap toy.

I've spent the last week looking at options and reading up.
There is a ton of videos online and one model seems to rise as superior.

Mavic Air 2 https://www.dji.com/mavic-air-2

Looks like it takes about a thousand bucks to get the package.
That's not really a lot of money to me. So, I'm OK with that, if it does what they say.
30+ minutes flight time on one battery, stabilization, GPS, obstacle avoid, decent camera, plus a few cool tracking features.

Anyone have any experience with DJI, or this model? It only came out a couple months ago.
Things I don't like so far. No zoom, No night vision. It's made in china, they probably all are.
It looks like you got to step up big to get that stuff.

So, shoot this bitch down. Use good ammo, cause I'm almost sold.

MA2 fold.jpg
MA2 open.jpg

Mavic Air 2 Flight.jpg

Met a guy last week when I was up north with one I think is called a x fold....

Had like 15 g into it .. and can haul like 20 something pounds.

Let's just say he was intending on it being for accurate security.

And I was trespassing...not intentionally...last I was riding there it was state land. But I have new fears these days.

Anything over 4 or 5 hundred I wouldn't even look at...but not since seeing that thing.

Night vision seems to be the minimum for security requirements.

I have an Autel Evo I and like it better than any DJI. I would purchase an Evo II instead of the Mavic Air 2. I live near a rural airport and am subject to a 100' ceiling if I fly at home. DJI has software that can limit or stop your flights if you are within a NFZ. Mine has a 4K camera, and Autel has local US customer service (Seattle) who respond immediately by chat. I've used it a couple times. I want the Evo II Pro but I haven't had my bird long enough to justify it. Bought mine at Wellbots with a 10% coupon they usually have floating around and there is no sales tax to out of staters which can be quite a bit depending on where you live. Lots of reviews out there.

FLIR will cost you big bucks.

Last edited:
I will add that the EVO has 60 fps which will help with your slo mo.

I don't know anything about drones at all.

It only came out a couple months ago.

I think you should try to find one of the many drones which have been out for years and which have been used successfully by many people during that time. Everything will be known about those drones.

I see a LOT of excellent 4k video from excellent drones, and have for years. Try to find drones which do that. You are not a drone expert so why are you going with a new drone? Get something known.

Since your are Scrooge McDuck, and take a daily dive into a vault full of Krugerrands, you can get to know a known drone, then buy bleeding edge later. Since money is no object to you, because $1000 is like pocket change, as you so subtly related to us. Because you wanted us to know that you have some money. You know, because your pee pee is 3" long.

So the evo is video specific? No general payload?

1500 for 9km range for the evo 2 seems like a bargain.

But things that can haul 30 or more pounds are scary to my 3 braincells.

The OP seems to want a flying camera which is what both the Mavic and EVO are. Payload drones are a totally different animal altogether. I love filming with my drone and the video quality is excellent.

I don't know anything about drones at all.

I think you should try to find one of the many drones which have been out for years and which have been used successfully by many people during that time. Everything will be known about those drones.

I see a LOT of excellent 4k video from excellent drones, and have for years. Try to find drones which do that. You are not a drone expert so why are you going with a new drone? Get something known.

Since your are Scrooge McDuck, and take a daily dive into a vault full of Krugerrands, you can get to know a known drone, then buy bleeding edge later. Since money is no object to you, because $1000 is like pocket change, as you so subtly related to us. Because you wanted us to know that you have some money. You know, because your pee pee is 3" long.

DJI is the largest consumer drone manufacturer in the world and have been doing it the longest but there's equal quality out there without some of the irritating issues. I know nothing about 3" pee pees.

DJI is the largest consumer drone manufacturer in the world and have been doing it the longest but there's equal quality out there without some of the irritating issues. I know nothing about 3" pee pees.

Ok, but what is their most popular drone which will carry the camera you want?

You get where I'm coming from here? What is the Dana 60 of drones from them? The one with the most reviews and mods?

I'm just offering generic wisdom about tech hobbies. I'm sure there is an axle out there somewhere which is newer and higher-performing than a Dana 60, but which one has more aftermarket support and every single grain of iron known about it?

Surely that drone will be a couple of years old. I'd buy that one. But $1000 is a lot of money to me.

regarding DJI,
My company woun't use them, because everything ties back to China, ( from the company not me)
Personally I own two DJI's and older phantom 3 and a newer Mavic.
they are the shit for entry level

At work I have a parrot, not as nice and not as many features, but not China (again, no me the company)
I'm certified and do use it for work , and we do track and document sensitive locations,
any DJI product will be superior. just my opinion.

Yeah....3 in pee pee...that's like 10 inches more then I ever had .

For sure the payload thing is crazy....the hybrid one he was talking about was over 30g. I don't have a clue.... Pretty crazy stuff. The ad I looked at for the evo 2 has a killer camera setup. ....1500 is pretty cheap for a critter that flys with 9k range.

I paid 2500 in 2001 for a hand held mini dv camera and never figured out all of the doo dadz that damn thing had before it was stolen.

That Evo 2 is the shit.

Ok, but what is their most popular drone which will carry the camera you want?

You get where I'm coming from here? What is the Dana 60 of drones from them? The one with the most reviews and mods?

I'm just offering generic wisdom about tech hobbies. I'm sure there is an axle out there somewhere which is newer and higher-performing than a Dana 60, but which one has more aftermarket support and every single grain of iron known about it?

Surely that drone will be a couple of years old. I'd buy that one. But $1000 is a lot of money to me.

It depends on your willingness to spend and what you actually need and what you want to do with it. You can buy a cheaper drone from Amazon for $150 but if you like the hobby you will soon grow out of it. Which is just what I did and so I wasted that $. Anything over .55 lbs or 250g you have to register with the FAA as well.

I breifly looked at Autel, I'll dig a little deeper.
I haven't bought anything yet.
Just looking for some input.

Oh, And I'm a retired helicopter pilot, so my peepee is four feet long :flipoff2:

I have an Autel Evo I and like it better than any DJI. I would purchase an Evo II instead of the Mavic Air 2. I live near a rural airport and am subject to a 100' ceiling if I fly at home. DJI has software that can limit or stop your flights if you are within a NFZ. Mine has a 4K camera, and Autel has local US customer service (Seattle) who respond immediately by chat. I've used it a couple times. I want the Evo II Pro but I haven't had my bird long enough to justify it. Bought mine at Wellbots with a 10% coupon they usually have floating around and there is no sales tax to out of staters which can be quite a bit depending on where you live. Lots of reviews out there.

FLIR will cost you big bucks.

Thanks Idaho

Now you got me digging deeper. Did not realize dji had all those NFZ restrictions built into their software.
Looks like they can put that shit anywhere without good cause, and shut your shit down.
I'm going to see if I can find a way to see their geo fencing map and how much area is closed where i live.
I live in BFE, there are a few small airports around, but if they are going to prevent flight near every school or park or old folks home then I gots to rethink my puchase. I also live along the Colorado river and near Lake Meade national recreation area which is designated as a wildlife area on sectional charts.

I did take a good look at that Evo 2. Did not realize how many haters and fan bois are out there.
That seems to be a step up in class from what I was looking for. I don't want to make professional videos or need that good of a camera.
Looks like I have dig a little deeper, I won't be happy if my shit is that restricted. So if I understand right Autel doesn't have that built in restrictions.

I have a DJI phantom 3 professional. It was a nice machine and worked well. IMO, quads get boring to just fly though. I live inside of a Class D ring. I think my drone limited it to 400AGL. As a pilot, I think thats a good thing.

Thanks Idaho

Now you got me digging deeper. Did not realize dji had all those NFZ restrictions built into their software.
Looks like they can put that shit anywhere without good cause, and shut your shit down.
I'm going to see if I can find a way to see their geo fencing map and how much area is closed where i live.
I live in BFE, there are a few small airports around, but if they are going to prevent flight near every school or park or old folks home then I gots to rethink my puchase. I also live along the Colorado river and near Lake Meade national recreation area which is designated as a wildlife area on sectional charts.

I did take a good look at that Evo 2. Did not realize how many haters and fan bois are out there.
That seems to be a step up in class from what I was looking for. I don't want to make professional videos or need that good of a camera.
Looks like I have dig a little deeper, I won't be happy if my shit is that restricted. So if I understand right Autel doesn't have that built in restrictions.

You are welcome. There's definitely fans of both and haters too. It was great for my situation being in such a restricted area close to the airport. My worry was that my section with a 100' ceiling is right next to a 0' section and if DJI software was going to restrict me taking off at all, rendering it useless at my house. I don't want to have to drive to fly every time. Who knows what the government will end up doing with the consumer drones and what restrictions will be in the future though? I can see some kind of radio signal beacon thingamajig being required.

I do feel that the distance capability is a selling point I am not interested in because it makes LOS impossible. I don't want to have my bird that far away or too high.

The Mavic Air 2 is probably a really good drone and it does have a lot of great features for a lower price if the geo fencing isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh