What's new

PS Pump upgrades on a Supercharged 3RZ

thezentree

Member Number
I've got a supercharged 3RZ with an OEM power steering pump that leaks so badly the puddle under the truck is still growing even though it hasn't run since December. It's SASed with an IFS box on 37s, no hydro assist and no plans to add a ram in the near term.

I want power steering that can handle 37s, within reason.

I was kicking around the idea of a TC pump swap using either a TG or Chilkat bracket, but after looking at some pics it seems like the supercharger pulley and fittings on the PS pump are going to want to occupy the same space.

Anyone got pics of a TC pump on a supercharged 3RZ? Any other options I could look at? I have like zero experience with this.

Bigger pump won't do anything with the stock box. In fact, some people seem to have issues with excessive heat when running a high flow pump and stock ps box, because all that extra flow and pressure has no where to really go.

You might try an aftermarket steering box first, not sure how much they do without a ram though.

Put hydro assist on it. I fucked around with a bigger steering box, and with shitty overheating steering on 37s that got old quick. I slapped hydro assist on and it runs nice and cool in 4wd with the front locked at 2psi in the 90* heat, couldnt do that before. Plus I would be worried about peeling the IFS box off the frame without hydro assist.

I want hydro assist and it'll get it eventually, just not in the budget for the time being.

what

I realize y'all aren't here to hold my hand, but I figured I was looking at $1500 to make all that work, like needing a bigger pump, reservoir, hoses, plus the ram, etc. etc. etc.. Any light reading recommendations for $200 hydro assist?

what

I realize y'all aren't here to hold my hand, but I figured I was looking at $1500 to make all that work, like needing a bigger pump, reservoir, hoses, plus the ram, etc. etc. etc.. Any light reading recommendations for $200 hydro assist?
Definitely not $200, Asian hasn't been able to work on his truck in years because his HOA told him to stop, BUT you can do it for way cheaper than $1500 Hydro assist on the cheap

I don't know what the difference is between the 3.4 pump and 2.7 pump, but my buddy runs assist on stock pump with 49x21s on 1" bs wheels :laughing: so I'd think you'd be fine.

If you want cheap and easy, just grab a TG assist kit, comes with everything you need for around $400

No shit.

Guess I'll stop dicking around and order a stock pump and go measure for a ram. Thanks y'all.

Definitely not $200, Asian hasn't been able to work on his truck in years because his HOA told him to stop, BUT you can do it for way cheaper than $1500 Hydro assist on the cheap
That would be incorrect. Slander is running off at the dick holster as I suspected. My $200 estimate was correct. I just ran over to Surplus Center and added up the needed parts. Hydro assist can be bought for $174.95 before tax and shipping. That’s for the ram, 2 reducers, 2 elbows and 2 lines. By the way, the ram is made in the US unlike that Chink built trash that you’ll get from Trail Gear.

Last edited:
That would be incorrect. Slander is running off at the dick holster as I suspected. My $200 estimate was correct. I just ran over to Surplus Center and added up the needed parts. Hydro assist can be bought for $174.95 before tax and shipping. That’s for the ram, 2 reducers, 2 elbows and 2 lines. By the way, the ram is made in the US unlike that Chink built trash that you’ll get from Trail Gear.

Does it use heims or clevis ends?

A canned ham saginaw p-pump will fit on the factory bracket with a little die grinding of the mounting holes. If you get a Dorman 6 groove serpentine pulley the toyota belt will ride on the middle 4 slots. Adapters for the pump and factory steering box to -6 are easy to find. Run a regular hydraulic line. Amazing amount of difference in the power your steering will have. Add a cooler and it'll most likely work fine for you. Probably the most affordable alternative to the stock pump. Adding a hydro ram would be easy afterward.

Top Back Refresh