What's new

Pros / Cons 10' tall enclosed Trailer

lt1yj

Member Number
I'm in the market for an enclosed trailer to haul my LJ around and came across a super tall 14k gooseneck with 16' floor and 10' side walls. I only need 7'6" interior height for the Jeep and not sure if the extra 2.5' has any value.

What are the pros / cons to having an extra tall trailer?

Cons
no drive throughs - it's a 2009 and I can't see any damage where he whacked something low.

Pros
I could insulate and build a simple bed, kitchen and seating area for a cheap wheeling camper.
I can store spare parts off the floor and keep them secure.

Enclosed trailers are big sails, that extra 2 1/2 feet will be that much more of a sail. Fuel mileage will be a little worse then a standard height trailer. How much? who knows, probably not that much. And it will work whatever you're towing it with that little bit more.

But, like you said, you could build storage in the top, and have an attic to get all your shit off the floor.

Milage will suck ass.

I don't think the benefits make up for the downsides.

I'd much rather have a 20-24' long one with normal sides.

1 ft extra is all you need. I don't see any benefit to more than that.
RE storage, I had a 1 ft extra ht enclosed that I built a rack across the entire width over the hood area of my jeep just high enough that I could walk under it. I stored lawn chairs, soft tops & doors, etc and it really worked well. I'm sure I have a pic somewhere but that was years ago.

enclosed.jpg

Mine is only 8-1/2ft tall on the interior and it seems pretty tall. Nice for the extra head room in the sleeping area over the neck but exactly what everyone else says about mileage and aerodynamics. I usually just find a semi going about 60-65mph, follow it and enjoy the ride.

Whenever I see one for sale they are asking something like a 5 to 10K premium over a similar trailer. When its parked Ill bet you would find lots of use for the additional space and love it. When driving in a windstorm you may not be as happy.

Mine has 8'ish wall height and it feels huge.

One thing to consider is clearance height. My trailer needs 13' of clearance overall, so I have to watch out. 15' would be tough.

Last edited:

One thing to consider is clearance height. My trailer needs 13' of clearance overall, so I have to watch out. 15' would be tough.
A trailer with 10' walls probbaly rides lower to the ground than your 8' wall trailer. It is probbaly setup something like a shorter version fo this:
1648920031503.png

Cant legally be over 13' 6" on the road without an oversize load permit.

Aaron Z

The trailer is a little under 13' tall.

I would only tow with it a half dozen times a year with one or two trips out west. I'm not too worried about fuel economy, if I was worried about wasting a few bucks I wouldn't be in this hobby. I'd use it maybe 8-10,000 miles per year with most of it in two big trips.

I think I'm more concerned by side winds pushing the trailer around. Especially when crossing under overpasses. My current setup will push the truck around quite a bit.

Relatively short (under 20') 10-14K enclosed trailers with enough height to fit my rig are quite rare. I've come across exactly two in the last month and both are 4-5 hrs away.

This one has damage in the front center already from hitting a bank overhang. It's only cosmetic but very telling.

Mine is 13'ish with an Ac unit on the roof. The Ac unit is tits. If the trailer is 13' without an Ac, it'd be a hard sell for me.

Mine is 13'ish with an Ac unit on the roof. The Ac unit is tits. If the trailer is 13' without an Ac, it'd be a hard sell for me.
If there is room and boondocking isn't planned, mount a mini split inside with the condensor under the gooseneck by the jack (either completely outside, or inside with ducting to bring in air through the floor and exhaust it under the gooseneck.
I have also seen a window air conditioner mounted in the same place.

Aaron Z

I would only tow with it a half dozen times a year with one or two trips out west. I'm not too worried about fuel economy, if I was worried about wasting a few bucks I wouldn't be in this hobby. I'd use it maybe 8-10,000 miles per year with most of it in two big trips.

I think I'm more concerned by side winds pushing the trailer around. Especially when crossing under overpasses. My current setup will push the truck around quite a bit.

Relatively short (under 20') 10-14K enclosed trailers with enough height to fit my rig are quite rare. I've come across exactly two in the last month and both are 4-5 hrs away.

This one has damage in the front center already from hitting a bank overhang. It's only cosmetic but very telling.
Got a couple of pictures of the possible enclosed?

Are you wanting to add living quarters/some camping stuff to the trailer or just leave it as a short/tall trailer?

Limited rough camping in the attic and possibly a bed over the hood of the Jeep. We normally tent camp. Two years ago we planned an October trip to the UP (Michigan's upper peninsula) and the high ended up at 34 degrees and we had snow the whole weekend. Tent camping sucked.

Long term I'd look at adding heat and AC. We don't use AC in our house so not sure we'd use it camping but we don't camp in 90 degree weather either. Heat would be nice for fall UP trips.

Mostly place for a bed and a place to sit inside when the weather is rough.

Secondary use is to store tools and parts that I don't want to leave in the bed of my truck when I'm out wheeling.

Not my pic but almost exactly my truck.

253734201_4624981824216072_3736506569130665274_n.jpg

That looks pretty short OAL with that tall of a wall height. What is that tip to tail, 22'?

Im struggling with what to do above the truck in my trailer. Cabinets seem like the obvious answer, but with a full body rig, cabinets would make it hard to get alongside the truck to get in and out of it for loading. Just something to consider.

An extra couple feet of height would lend itself well to some bunks or even full mattress beds that lower down from the ceiling on tracks. That would be neat as hell.

That looks pretty short OAL with that tall of a wall height. What is that tip to tail, 22'?

Im struggling with what to do above the truck in my trailer. Cabinets seem like the obvious answer, but with a full body rig, cabinets would make it hard to get alongside the truck to get in and out of it for loading. Just something to consider.

An extra couple feet of height would lend itself well to some bunks or even full mattress beds that lower down from the ceiling on tracks. That would be neat as hell.

According to the owner it's just under 24' end to end. 16' deck, ~18" angled area and 6'+ attic deck. My LJ is just under 14' end to end so I'd at least be able to walk around the front. I'd have to add windows and a side access door as well but I can put the side door where it would be most useful. My ideal trailer would be 8' walls, 18' deck with the same configuration on the front. I could put in a fridge and small cooktop and small counter top and a place to store food and camp gear.

I'm leaning towards a bed in the attic with storage under it, and a fixed bed over the Jeep hood. Then storage in the area above the Jeep in the back. I only camp with my kids and wife and my Jeep only holds 4 people. A fold down couch against the header would be useful as well.

The more I think about it the more stuff I'd want to mount to the walls.

Permanent deck at 7' (or your roof height plus 8-12") with storage and kids bunks up there and a ladder that drops in front of the jeep?
Then make a counter that drops onto the hood with the fridge, cooktop, etc on it.
Seems that length will be more of an issue than height for your intended use.

Aaron Z

lt1yj thats an odd looking trailer for sure to be so short overall and yet so tall. Sounds like you’ve got some ideas kicking around on how to use it.

Personally I liked the idea of a platform/kids sleeping area over top of the Jeep since it would be a good use for otherwise dead space.

As GLTHFJ60 and I know all too well, the ideas are never ending but the storage space runs out quickly.

A trailer with 10' walls probbaly rides lower to the ground than your 8' wall trailer. It is probbaly setup something like a shorter version fo this:
1648920031503.png

Cant legally be over 13' 6" on the road without an oversize load permit.

Aaron Z

The # you're looking for is 14ft.

Your numbers don't make sense, your ac is a foot tall and your floor is 4 feet off the ground? :laughing:

I really doubt your trailer is 13' even with ac. 13' 6' is max legal hieght in a lot of states. So basically wall mart type trailers are usually 13' 6" tall. Post pics with a tape, I've been wrong before :flipoff2:

10k miles a year is more than a lot of people drive per year. Milage is a big factor if you're really pulling it that much.

Again, 13' is high as shit and a total pain in the ass once you get off the interstates. I would not consider that trailer at all.

Your numbers don't make sense, your ac is a foot tall and your floor is 4 feet off the ground? :laughing:

I really doubt your trailer is 13' even with ac. 13' 6' is max legal hieght in a lot of states. So basically wall mart type trailers are usually 13' 6" tall. Post pics with a tape, I've been wrong before :flipoff2:

10k miles a year is more than a lot of people drive per year. Milage is a big factor if you're really pulling it that much.

Again, 13' is high as shit and a total pain in the ass once you get off the interstates. I would not consider that trailer at all.

Ironically, 10K is about twice what I normally drive in a year. My wife and I are planning to continue working remotely and that means I can combine work and play. I have 3 UP trips and one to Phoenix in the books and we're starting to plan a trip out in the undefined west area in the late fall. I'm pushing for Utah, she's leaning towards Arizona and New Mexico.

If this arrangement works we're planning to spend 2-3 months on the road every fall/winter. If it doesn't work out I'll be doing 2-3 trips per year and a lot less miles.

Fuckin keyboard warriors.

11' measured from the top of my roof to the ground. Interior wall height, 97.5". 2.75" torsen axle lift. Coleman mach AC units (via the specs) are about 14" tall. So in reality, I'm at 12'2" without climbing up top to measure with a level, but I say and keep 13' in my head to make sure I'm not going to actually hit anything with road bouncing and whatnot. I've spent too much time watching those 11 foot 8 videos, and that bridge is maybe 15minutes from my house.

So yeah, mine has an arched roof and that lift which adds maybe 6" to the overall height over a flat roof stock suspension trailer, but with two extra feet of wall height and a flat roof, I figure he's around 12'6" total height with no vents or anything on the roof. They almost always have vents of some sort. I'd call that 13' for going down the road, but obviously he'd need to measure.

1649083951890.png

1649083963021.png

More than one way to skin a cat. Putting it there isn't always an option either, in my case I've got a generator in that compartment.
It can usually be outside of the compartment, lots of livestock show trailers mount generators on platforms on the corners in the neck, it would be easy to fit a mini condenser.

Fuckin keyboard warriors.

:lmao:

Except like I said you were full of shit.

I've actually hauled a few 13-14' tall loads and it looks ridiculous behind a pickup and is nerve racking at every bridge.

11' measured from the top of my roof to the ground. Interior wall height, 97.5". 2.75" torsen axle lift. Coleman mach AC units (via the specs) are about 14" tall. So in reality, I'm at 12'2" without climbing up top to measure with a level, but I say and keep 13' in my head to make sure I'm not going to actually hit anything with road bouncing and whatnot. I've spent too much time watching those 11 foot 8 videos, and that bridge is maybe 15minutes from my house.

So yeah, mine has an arched roof and that lift which adds maybe 6" to the overall height over a flat roof stock suspension trailer, but with two extra feet of wall height and a flat roof, I figure he's around 12'6" total height with no vents or anything on the roof. They almost always have vents of some sort. I'd call that 13' for going down the road, but obviously he'd need to measure.

I've actually hauled a few 13-14' tall loads and it looks ridiculous behind a pickup and is nerve racking at every bridge.

You thought I was a mile off, it was more like 8" from what I said was 13'. I like a factor of safety, what can I say.

Pics with tape or it didn't happen.:flipoff2:

You thought I was a mile off, it was more like 8" from what I said was 13'. I like a factor of safety, what can I say.

Pics with tape or it didn't happen.:flipoff2:
I’m with you on heights and factoring in safety. Plus with the domed roof it is probably a little taller at the front of the trailer since it’ll rake back some when hitched as opposed to perfectly flat/level. So your 8” difference may be more like 4-6” difference.

In my experience, plus or minus a foot is close enough for State work:lmao:

Top Back Refresh