What's new

Propane problems

4x4junk

Member Number
I haven't been able to start my jeep since converting to propane. My components are in the following order. I have a forklift tank, propane filter, vff30 vacuum shutoff, Impco model L regulator, Impco 225 mixer. The mixer is on a 2 barrel plate, on top of a 4 barrel conversion plate. I bought this together used, supposedly running on a gm v8.

My jeep has an AMC 401 with an rv cam and was running well with an edlebrock 650. I know the Impco 225 is small in this application but I can't even get the jeep to fire. I checked spark at a spark plug and have it. I have checked and do have propane to the mixer. I have used the priming button on the regulator during attempts to start. I've tried starting without priming as well.

I haven't been able to start my jeep since converting to propane. My components are in the following order. I have a forklift tank, propane filter, vff30 vacuum shutoff, Impco model L regulator, Impco 225 mixer. The mixer is on a 2 barrel plate, on top of a 4 barrel conversion plate. I bought this together used, supposedly running on a gm v8.

My jeep has an AMC 401 with an rv cam and was running well with an edlebrock 650. I know the Impco 225 is small in this application but I can't even get the jeep to fire. I checked spark at a spark plug and have it. I have checked and do have propane to the mixer. I have used the priming button on the regulator during attempts to start. I've tried starting without priming as well.
MazdaMan? Is that you ?

Last edited:
Are you running an on/off solenoid? Constant power source to it?
The only fuel shut off I am running is the vacuum shutoff, the vff30. The tank valve is open. I have checked flow by taking the mixer end of fuel delivery hose off, applying vacuum to the vacuum shut off and pressing the primer button on the regulator. I have flow, but no experience to know what good flow looks like.

If your spark is weak it won't fire, so seeing it jump the gap with the plug out doesn't always mean it's good.

It started up and ran good after a shot of carb cleaner. After shutoff it won't start again without another shot of carb cleaner.

Sounds like your vacume dohicky isnt pulling enough vacume during cranking. Toss it or change it to an electric sylonoid

I cranked it over without the regulator on and got a good spray out of the vacuum shutoff. From what I found on the net, it said not to connect the vacuum to the manifold but to the vacuum port on the mixer so to not get too much vacuum. I'll hook it up to my vacuum pump and see if it starts, then try another vacuum shut off I have or try it without.

When I prime it the primer button will push in very briefly then has much resistance against it. I'm guessing this is because of vacuum created in between the vacuum shut off and the regulator, is this working properly? Once I have tried to start it the primer button has much resistance and won't push in.

I would agree, I don't think you're getting vacuum while it trying to start therefor not opening the valve.

I've been running a propane kit for 15 or 16 years now, still runs the same as the first day and I have replaced anything. I have an elec solenoid one a toggle switch.

It's a crazy simple system. You said it ran after giving it a shot of carb cleaner right. Which would make sense since there is vacuum opening the valve

It started right up tonight with a vacuum pump on the vacuum shutoff. Thanks to everyone that replied.

I don't really get the supplemental shutoff valve

it makes sense with a permanently mounted tank, but a little forklift tank is gonna be mounted real accessable because of how often you'll be swapping it out
why not just use the service valve on the tank?

I don't really get the supplemental shutoff valve

it makes sense with a permanently mounted tank, but a little forklift tank is gonna be mounted real accessable because of how often you'll be swapping it out
why not just use the service valve on the tank?
Because most people wont go through that step unless forced to and a propane explosion will mess up your day in a hurry so it's required.

Aaron Z

Because most people wont go through that step unless forced to and a propane explosion will mess up your day in a hurry so it's required.
most people wouldn't go through the extra steps of running propane at all, idiot-logic says 4lbs per gallon means half the BTUs of diesel so you're prolly gonna get like 40-80 miles outta that 8 gallon tank

I didn't think of the legal side of things. Laws make logic go out the window after all.
Propane cars aren't really a thing around here, never seen a filling station that wasn't primarily catering to bbq bottles and RVs with prices around 3-4 bucks a gallon

The jeep quit running on me, ended up with an electrical issue to sort out. I have spark again. Now I can get it to start with carb cleaner but it dies. if I give it any throttle it dies. If I take the supply hose off of the mixer and push the primer button on the regulator I get fuel. The button on the regulator won't push in if the fuel hose is attached to the regulator. I don't know if this is correct. Does the mixer need a vacuum line anywhere? I do not have a vacuum shut off on it for now.

How full is the tank? If it's close to empty it won't have enough to run but still some to vent off

How full is the tank? If it's close to empty it won't have enough to run but still some to vent off
it has a little more than half. I did check to see that it was mounted correctly as someone suggested earlier.

Theres a good chance im driving when playing on irate and put less then no effort into proofreading how my replies turn out.

And im not actually sure how to spell that... solenoid?

Man I've watched you butcher solenoid for...at least 5 or 6 years.:laughing: it's just funny cause you're so consistently fucked on that particular word.

Man I've watched you butcher solenoid for...at least 5 or 6 years.:laughing: it's just funny cause you're so consistently fucked on that particular word.
I believe it. Just checked my autocorrect wants to spell it sylonoid.... so its either because my phone learns what i like to type, or i can blame it.

Top Back Refresh