What's new

Propane issue, air cleaner or?

Mr Stubs

Taste my rainbow, bitches
Member Number
Loc
Land of liquid sunshine
So I have a interesting issue. I cleaned my air cleaner and now my crawler won’t idle, runs like garbage with it installed.

C8EEA604-0C77-4014-A427-ABCF156B72B7.jpeg

Backstory,

Gearing up for my Sand Hollow trip. So the usual maintenance stuff. I washed the crawler and cleaned the K&N style air cleaner.

Once installed it ran very poorly and hardly will idle. I have checked the distributor for moisture, checked all plugs and wires. The only thing that I have found is that removing the air cleaner totally fixes the issue.

So.... has anyone ever over oiled a air cleaner and had issues because of it?

I have sprayed down the air cleaner again with the cleaning solution in hopes this is the issue...

Anyone have any other ideas on what this issue could be?

You said “K&N style” that you oiled.
Are you sure the filter is supposed to be oiled at all?

On the Spectra website is says their Power Adder air filters come pre-oiled. I have to assume that means its not a dry filter media.

I have oiled this filter for the past four seasons. It’s nothing new.

I got the filter dry and installed it without oiling it again. It fired up and drive into the enclosed trailer fine. That seems to have been the issue.

Not sure if I want to oil it before my trip now.

I have oiled this filter for the past four seasons. It’s nothing new.

I got the filter dry and installed it without oiling it again. It fired up and drive into the enclosed trailer fine. That seems to have been the issue.

Not sure if I want to oil it before my trip now.

I don't think those filter well without oil, I wouldn't trust it dry. Do you have an outer cover (prefilter) you could throw over it?

When I was researching it on the old site, it seemed like everyone recommended the AEM dryflow filters over the K&N style oiled filters.

Call Cary at got propane. I'm sure if its something with the mixer he's seen it. And can help you out. Funny thing, first thing I thought was maf sensor and then I re read your title and laughed.

So are spectre, AEM with a dust cover stopped the super fine stuff the spectre let through, meetoo on the pantyhose cover.

This right here.

I don't understand why off road guys are running shitty "performance" air filters. They flow more air because they do a shittier job of filtering, and in a high contaminant environment, that is just retarded. Along with that, open element filters are a bad idea for offroad as well regardless of the filter media since the filter is directly exposed to contaminants and water, and at a minimum will clog up faster.

Run a quality filter like a Donaldson or other cellulose based filter element in a housing. Look at heavy construction, mining, and agricultural equipment air filter systems and they have dust separators incorporated in the filter housings that remove the majority of contaminants before they ever get to the filter. Hell, even over the road medium and heavy duty trucks are running air filtration systems that are orders of magnitude better than what 99% of people are running on their off road rigs. If you need more CFM for more power, run a larger filter element, not a more porous one.

At a minimum, replace your oiled filter with a dry filter.

This right here.

I don't understand why off road guys are running shitty "performance" air filters. They flow more air because they do a shittier job of filtering, and in a high contaminant environment, that is just retarded. Along with that, open element filters are a bad idea for offroad as well regardless of the filter media since the filter is directly exposed to contaminants and water, and at a minimum will clog up faster.

Run a quality filter like a Donaldson or other cellulose based filter element in a housing. Look at heavy construction, mining, and agricultural equipment air filter systems and they have dust separators incorporated in the filter housings that remove the majority of contaminants before they ever get to the filter. Hell, even over the road medium and heavy duty trucks are running air filtration systems that are orders of magnitude better than what 99% of people are running on their off road rigs. If you need more CFM for more power, run a larger filter element, not a more porous one.

At a minimum, replace your oiled filter with a dry filter.

The got propane kits come with that style filter and I dont know anyone that has ever had a problem with them.

OP did it ever caugh or backfire through the carb/lp thing?

The got propane kits come with that style filter and I dont know anyone that has ever had a problem with them.

OP did it ever caugh or backfire through the carb/lp thing?

No backfires, the mixer diaphragm is fine.

It was definitely a over oil issue. She ran fine last night while driving Joint Effort down here at Sand Hollow.

To echo 84 Bronco, K&n filters (and most copies) are terrible at filtering fine dust.
And are easy to over oil which will cause shitty running and still won't filter well...

Any source for a dry pleat drop in replacement for a k&n 3.75 cone style? Too close to KOH 21 to fab a housing for a flat filter.
and oilandfoam fliters rock on two strokes... where they belong... ;)

Top Back Refresh