What's new

Project car decisions and too much stuff!

toyotajeep

Member Number
Loc
Oregon
This is somewhat related to my car question I asked but different. I have been spending way too much time building cars in my head and thinking of all the possible stuff to build. I am more of a builder and less of a user and I have always been that way.

The deal is that I have been working on the side and during vacations etc. for decades. About 5-6 years ago things really started to roll. Here is the issue, I now have some cool stuff. I also have all my money tied up in several "cool project cars" and so forth.

Several of them are mildly deteriorating, and don't get used. At my age I have enough to drive until I die most likely. I tend to use the DD and so forth.

I am not getting any younger, I have things I would like to experience and some of those involve old cars. Sometimes I think I need to sell/trade most of it off and get a nice crawler etc.

Here's the question: How many of you have liquidated and been happier for it? What was your decision making model you used to sell stuff off? I am seeking meaning and happiness and I am wondering if I am a victim of my success so to speak.

I've only got the "building shit in my head" issue, no time or money to actually pick up stuff. Grendel posted that his solution is if it sits for a year, it goes (I think - it was the old place). Honestly it seems like a good policy. If you aren't working on it/using it for a year or more, liquidate and re-acquire later on if you get the itch again.

I sold off a few projects last year to just free up space. I regretted it a little bit at the time, but its been awesome to be free of the burden of the project, I cant say I miss them one bit now.
I lost my ass on them, sort ot taught me a lesson in starting more projects that turn into several year ordeals.

I've only got the "building shit in my head" issue, no time or money to actually pick up stuff. Grendel posted that his solution is if it sits for a year, it goes (I think - it was the old place). Honestly it seems like a good policy. If you aren't working on it/using it for a year or more, liquidate and re-acquire later on if you get the itch again.

Yep. I also reserve the right to change that time frame.

I like that. But I am more like 3-4 years of sitting. I do have a way out of here. They are Early Bronco's and try-five Chevys so no problems getting rid of them. I live my life by the saying, "go with what you know". I know I have several lower interest projects and parts I can get rid of and I guess I start there.

My struggle is that I know I won't be able to buy another with my budget. So yeah I could sell if I wanted to. But replacing it in five years could be tough

-Or- the thought has occurred that I may be sorry I didn't offload when I had the chance.

Going to the ER on my birthday last year and spending 15 days in the hospital with pneumonia that led to lung surgery forced my hand.

I had a Yota Buggy project that was already floundering, a pretty solid 4Runner and had just gotten a T100 as an engine donor for the 4R. Barely being able to walk/stand and really taking a reflective look at everything. Projects weren’t really in my future.

Ended up selling off essentially anything related to the Toyota’s mostly to a friend at friend/firesale pricing felt good. Turned around and found a Jeep that was already pretty built (Atlas, long arms, stretched, caged, etc.) for within a few hundred of what I had just sold out for.

Wheeled it more than expected since. Also actually completed a 1-Ton Swap this summer. Consolidating feels good.

I’m still in the process of liquidating a few projects. Just sold a 2 door Tahoe I was building for the kids, a winter beater, a 2 door Tahoe I drove a few times a year and a pile of spare parts. I just listed a bunch of woodworking and metal working equipment.

With the proceeds I bought a built LJ and immediately went out wheeling.

Great decision and freed up a LOT of space and have play money left over.

A guy once told me a man's worth is based off how many vehicles he owns and how much space he has to store them :flipoff2:​​​​​​

Do whatever makes you happy. I get burnt out easy on projects, so having multiple makes it easier to bounce around. I'm not good at the projects that sit for years without driving them through. It's usually a step by step deal with driving in between.

I have to remember what I read on the other board, don't let the things you own, own you.

I've consolidated, sold 2 Fummins trucks, uncut EB, mall crawler EB, 65 fastback project, etc etc. I need to build a house and a shop, then projects will come back.

We have a fleet of Honda quads and an 80 bike, today we fired up the smallest 3 and rode, these are staying.

I'm putting one multi purpose family rig together

I got the backhoe project moving along, I'll use it to improve my land.

I bought a 79 f150 so i can have one classic toy, but a bad engine has stalled my "30 day build" plans. It's still on the trailer, and I'm gonna put it in storage, tear into it, or run it to Mexico for paint. I don't want shit piling up.

Accepting I don't have time to build everything I want is hard:laughing:

I used to have a yj with stock axles and wheeled every weekend, I traded it for a wicked early bronco with healthy injected 351 and went full retard, full width axles, 4 wheel discs, 38s, and never wheeled it, just kept replacing fuel pumps as I moved it from place to place as life got in the way.

I'm seriously looking at yard selling my "cool parts " and buying a tj with a lock right and 33s

I have a SxS to wheel, an old vette as a project. That’s more than enough shit to work on. The vette I’m working on in stages during winter, driving it only in summer. The SxS I just do what’s required to keep it maintained. Simple is nice.

Like some others I like to drive them versus constantly wrenching on them. I also modify in increments, not all at once.
Our fun car (NB Miata) is set up for canyon carving and it is summer/fair weather use only.
My Kawi Ninja 650 is summer use as well.

As of recent I have inherited a freebie 2006 Liberty that I got running after about three weeks of fiddling with it.
Currently its role is getting me to and from work.
It is stock and in need of front coils/shocks - if I keep it plan is to add 2” OME coil/shock package and get back into light wheeling.

My daily is 2015 Accord that is all stock save for summer/winter tire and wheel sets.
This keeps it manageable for me.

I can see where a lot of you are at. I have developed an interest in ADV biking and duning with my quad etc. It is coming to my realization that there is only one of me and I'm spending more time dealing with oil changes etc. and a lot less time actually having fun. I'm going to simplify and start with the stuff that I know needs to go which is 5-6 vehicles so I have some work ahead of me.

Projectjunkie, I think you may find this funny. I took my car building money and impulse bought a 79 CJ. 258, 2.5" lift, new tires with 4.10s and a t-18. It is so honest feeling and fun that I am actually really refreshed driving it. I like it a lot. I have two Early Broncos that are drivers and I just never actually drive them. I mean to, but there is always something and so I drive my DD. I thought the connection between you and Jeeps and EB's is funny. Same thing here.

I'm rid of all my projects and toys. Been "wheeling" my Frontier on 32s with the factory e-locker for years now. Hoping to buy a brand new DRZ400 this spring.

A few years ago I decided to limit my self to 1 project vehicle as shit wasn't getting done on the multiples and they weren't getting driven either.

This year I started to pair down the bike collection. Sold the KX500 going to keep the KTM 690. Going to sell the M109R and keep 2 triumphs for street bikes.

Are you owning things just to own them? Or are you actually getting use and joy out of them?

My project car is a 71 Buick centurion convertible, It runs and drives, but still needs some love. I only drive it on nice days above 60 degrees with the top down. It is fun, to drive and rides great. I am not looking for the fastest thing on the planet and have no desire to race. I have been happier after thinning down my vehicles. I know quite a few people who have 5-6 non runners that just sit and always need work. I just don't have the free time or energy to maintain a fleet of vehicles, just for the sake of my ego.

Cars and bikes come and go. If something is super rare then you won't want to use it, because you can't get replacement parts if something breaks.

hell, smaller scale but it's part of the reason I sold the vette this summer. Had 4 cars in the house for 2 people, plus the yard equipment, the pool, house renovations, and other shit to maintain. Corvette was fun but really just a weekend toy that I didn't want to spend time maintaining, so out it went. Enjoying actually doing things vs maintaining crap - though i do have the itch for another project car

I've spent most of my life accumulating vehicles, parts, and stuff for projects. Cars, trucks, ATV's, you name it. My shop was full of things I hardly ever worked on - the '66 Porsche 912 I had since '88 (which I drive home, disassembled to "restore", then let sit for over 30 years), '71 Bronco I bought back in pieces back in 2001 and still haven't put back together, 4 or 5 Honda 3 wheelers in various states of immobility, etc. After a health scare in my mid- 50's, I had to be honest with myself that I was never going to finish anything unless I concentrated on just one project, so I sold the Porsche, a few ATV's, bunch of parts, and invested most of the proceeds, and most of my free time, in the Bronco.

Not finished with it yet, but at least I'm making progress on it. Have lots more room in the shop, more money to spend, and less stress now.

My habit is more with bikes than anything (Because I don't have the space for a bunch of cars/trucks), but I honestly prefer having multiple projects. I don't let em be a burden or stress me out, if it gets frustrating I switch gears and work on something else. They don't cost me anything but floor space if I'm not working on them, so they can sit if they need to.

No such thing as too much. Wrenching and creating are almost therapeutic for me. Some things aren't worth selling, and I have the space.

People who get caught up working that 9 to 5, kids, and other distractions want the turn key solution to escape reality.

A few years ago I decided to limit my self to 1 project vehicle as shit wasn't getting done on the multiples and they weren't getting driven either.

This year I started to pair down the bike collection. Sold the KX500 going to keep the KTM 690. Going to sell the M109R and keep 2 triumphs for street bikes.

Are you owning things just to own them? Or are you actually getting use and joy out of them?

My project car is a 71 Buick centurion convertible, It runs and drives, but still needs some love. I only drive it on nice days above 60 degrees with the top down. It is fun, to drive and rides great. I am not looking for the fastest thing on the planet and have no desire to race. I have been happier after thinning down my vehicles. I know quite a few people who have 5-6 non runners that just sit and always need work. I just don't have the free time or energy to maintain a fleet of vehicles, just for the sake of my ego.

Cars and bikes come and go. If something is super rare then you won't want to use it, because you can't get replacement parts if something breaks.

I am not going to lie, I like to shop and enjoy the art of the deal. It isn't an ego thing, I have "plans" for all of them. I think I am going to keep the Broncos and the 55's, and the rest can go. I have at least come to the realization that I am not going to be wheeling CJ-5's anymore so why keep them? That type of thing. We are getting pretty interested in bikes and are doing a lot of that now.

I think one big project at a time is enough. My quandary is which car to build or trade for. I do believe that the universe (or whatever you choose to call it) tells us things. I know once my gasser leaves I am not getting another one. They are all paid for. I think I am keeping the best and going to off load the lesser value stuff and move along.

Do you like the KTM? I wanted one but decided to buy the BMW 800 GSA which works. Still think about the 690 though.

No such thing as too much. Wrenching and creating are almost therapeutic for me. Some things aren't worth selling, and I have the space.

People who get caught up working that 9 to 5, kids, and other distractions want the turn key solution to escape reality.

Me too. That is why I enjoy it. Just a little too much wrenching here I think.

I've spent most of my life accumulating vehicles, parts, and stuff for projects. Cars, trucks, ATV's, you name it. My shop was full of things I hardly ever worked on - the '66 Porsche 912 I had since '88 (which I drive home, disassembled to "restore", then let sit for over 30 years), '71 Bronco I bought back in pieces back in 2001 and still haven't put back together, 4 or 5 Honda 3 wheelers in various states of immobility, etc. After a health scare in my mid- 50's, I had to be honest with myself that I was never going to finish anything unless I concentrated on just one project, so I sold the Porsche, a few ATV's, bunch of parts, and invested most of the proceeds, and most of my free time, in the Bronco.

Not finished with it yet, but at least I'm making progress on it. Have lots more room in the shop, more money to spend, and less stress now.

I can relate to you. I see at SOB etc. the guy who has one nice Bronco, lots of connection to it and I will admit I am mildly envious. Then I slap myself and say "why don't you do that?" I have one that is a driver and well on its way. Have most of the parts to make it pretty sweet.

I have always been a "get it while you can, and more is better" kind of car guy. I am beginning to see the error in my thinking. For sure.

I am not going to lie, I like to shop and enjoy the art of the deal. It isn't an ego thing, I have "plans" for all of them. I think I am going to keep the Broncos and the 55's, and the rest can go. I have at least come to the realization that I am not going to be wheeling CJ-5's anymore so why keep them? That type of thing. We are getting pretty interested in bikes and are doing a lot of that now.

I think one big project at a time is enough. My quandary is which car to build or trade for. I do believe that the universe (or whatever you choose to call it) tells us things. I know once my gasser leaves I am not getting another one. They are all paid for. I think I am keeping the best and going to off load the lesser value stuff and move along.

Do you like the KTM? I wanted one but decided to buy the BMW 800 GSA which works. Still think about the 690 though.

I like the KTM 690 a lot. I am a big guy 6'3" 300lbs. It replaced two Honda XR650Rs I had previously. It's a big dirtbike and not great at riding on the slab, It's not the best for tight woods trails, but for fireroads and more open trails it's a great bike. It has more power than you need and will easily ride along at 80. Lots of people don't like the gearing, but I think it's fine. Adv bikes are all compromises. If I wanted a strictly trail bike with more maintenance and less weight a 500EXC or 300 2 stroke KTM. I don't really do hardcore super tough trails anymore. Love to watch races like the Erzberge rodeo, but have admitted to myself that I don't have the skill or motivation to do any sort of racing.

Depending on what kind of trails you want to ride the 690 is a great bike once you spend a fair amount of money on a wings exhaust, and a few other upgrades.

Some guys like having their own personal junkyards and if that makes you happy, then go for it. I can see how it's pretty handy if you have good spares not just beat to snot shells.

Do what makes you happy, sounds like you aren't overly happy doing what you are doing. Don't be too afraid to try something different, cars come and go and can always be replaced or replicated.
Start with the things you are least likely to miss and go from there.

I am about to start thinning out my firearm collection because I have too many and need to focus my collection.

I like the KTM 690 a lot. I am a big guy 6'3" 300lbs. It replaced two Honda XR650Rs I had previously. It's a big dirtbike and not great at riding on the slab, It's not the best for tight woods trails, but for fireroads and more open trails it's a great bike. It has more power than you need and will easily ride along at 80. Lots of people don't like the gearing, but I think it's fine. Adv bikes are all compromises. If I wanted a strictly trail bike with more maintenance and less weight a 500EXC or 300 2 stroke KTM. I don't really do hardcore super tough trails anymore. Love to watch races like the Erzberge rodeo, but have admitted to myself that I don't have the skill or motivation to do any sort of racing.

Depending on what kind of trails you want to ride the 690 is a great bike once you spend a fair amount of money on a wings exhaust, and a few other upgrades.

Some guys like having their own personal junkyards and if that makes you happy, then go for it. I can see how it's pretty handy if you have good spares not just beat to snot shells.

Do what makes you happy, sounds like you aren't overly happy doing what you are doing. Don't be too afraid to try something different, cars come and go and can always be replaced or replicated.
Start with the things you are least likely to miss and go from there.

I am about to start thinning out my firearm collection because I have too many and need to focus my collection.

I am a dirt biker and wanted the 690. I decided on the BMW 800 and so far it is pretty tough. I have however been doing way more dirt riding than I thought I was going to. It is pretty wild where you can take one of these things. But compared to a 500 KTM they are not even close. I'd like the run the SWM or perhaps the Honda 450. Don't quite want the KTM maintenance but want similar performance. For now though, the BMW does the job.

I wouldn't say that I am unhappy but it is taking up some time etc. Since writing this I have been focused on cleaning up a few rigs I am selling and making them go away. Then it will be time for the others. I think I just got a little unfocused and brought home too many toys without a clear plan on what I was going to do with them.

Are you selling this stuff off on Craigslist or FB Market? I've tried this and just get the window lickers or spam.
How are you coming to some idea of a price? Things like a 3rd gen Cummins with a blown head gasket/turbo that I haven't had time for...

I know you're not asking me specifically, but I can maybe be of some help. The first thing I noticed is that this is not the time of year to be selling anything beyond necessities. I am getting interest in things that people need, like snow wheels and tires, that type of thing. Almost no interest in toys or project cars. I thought last summer was going to be miserable and I was going to be stuck with a ton of stuff. I actually sold off more things than ever and left with stuff I really wanted.

Where I screwed up big time was not selling my 55 gasser when I first posted it in the early summer. I wanted to trade, and should have (ALWAYS TAKE THE CASH) taken the cash when it was offered.

What practical stuff can you learn from my experience?

-Sell in the spring and summer. Buy in the fall and winter. Facebook groups are full of haters and experts a lot of the time. Have thick skin. CL is largely but not completely dead. I get more low-value buyers on FB for junk around the house. I get more buyers for big stuff off of CL.

-If you want to sell big stuff right now, cut your price 25% or so and it will move. I have found all the cars I was wanting last summer are still up for sale. Down about 25% or so.

-I have a simple life, and stare at the various websites and FB groups -too much- so I have a fair idea on what things go for. But my span of knowledge is fairly limited to my interests.

Just my thoughts. Stuff will always sell, it just depends on how low you want to go on your pricing or can afford to.

Hope this helps a bit.

Sold two heavy older snowmobiles. That felt great to not have to look at them. Completing another project right now to get rid of later this spring. Doing what I can and feeling better. Not sweating the hot rod project at the moment. They are both pretty cool and paid for and not hurting anything so I am not worried. They can sit till spring.

As I think about this, one thing is clear. I really, really, need to think before I bring anything else home. I know I am not the only one who can't turn down a good deal. The problem then becomes one of time and effort to deal with your good deal!

It's getting better. Thanks for listening.

Downsize and consolidate.

We moved last year and really lost a lot of storage. I ended up selling a car, pretty much parts to make another car, and tossed a bunch of "just in case" pieces I took off. Also I like bicycles as well and have sold off a number of bikes. Gave away a ton of camping gear as well.

I am SO much happier. While I do have more storage space right now than I had a the old house, I'm keen not to crap it up. I gave up on a few projects and focusing on what is in front of me. Time is becoming an issue and I'd prefer to enjoy what I have instead of constantly fixing stuff. I'm actually looking and upgrading the DD and bikes I use to something newer just to have less problems.

I do miss one car but I don't really drive far nor often anymore. One less oil change or maintenance interval or diagnose...whatever. Miss the doors I sold for my project car but I'm still 3 years out from doing body work...and those doors were only a bit better than what I got now.

I am in the boat of sliming down. After my last move, I had said the last move was the last move, but those things are not always in our control. I realized I am sick of it. Living in a fantasy world, I am getting older. Wanting a simpler life.
I rarely get to drive and enjoy what I have. Why would having 10 more cool projects be any different.

Now I concentrate on one. I have one truck I love and will never sell, then I have one project. I still have 4 wheelers and boats but that is just maintenance now. But as far as builds I stick to one.

Currently working on a corvette. Bought it in 1000 pieces, when it is done, if I don't like it I will sell it and get something else. Not attached to it.

I usually have more fun building than driving anyway.

Got rid of all my parts, all my extras. Most of them anyway. Now everything fits in a garage or barn. No more crap sitting outside. Laying in the weeds.

I am much happier for it. I feel organized. In control. I am not depressed by watching something rot away sitting outside not getting worked on, or being eaten and ruined by mice.

Also it helps me finish other projects I have been putting off. Right now doing my lawnmower engine. for 5 years I have been saying, someday as it smokes the neighborhood when i mow.
Finally I can restore it.

Losing those extra projects I find myself enjoying life more instead of just working all the time.

Top Back Refresh