What's new

Pro R vs Can Am Turbo RR

redneckK20s

Member Number
Loc
Farber, MO
I work at a Honda/Polaris/Can-am dealer and have a cool ass boss, so we lined up a 2023 Pro R 2 seat Premium and a 2023 Can Am X3 XRC Turbo RR 64 to see what they'd do. They're new machines so we went from a roll to save the tires and honestly the Polaris handled the Can-am pretty easily every time. Only time he was able to run off in the Can Am is when I had to let off for a solid second and a half to let him in front of me to dodge a car. 88 mph top speed limiter on the Can-am, 90mph on the Polaris but I saw 93 going down hill.

From 30 the Polaris would pull steadily 2 cars to the speed limiter pretty much every time. Granted the Pro R is 10k more and has 25 more HP, but also weighs a couple hundred pounds more and has way beefier components. I hate Polaris more than probably anyone but the Pro R is a pretty impressive machine.

The only reason the can am can hang is that it's built out of exhaust tubing and plastic :laughing:

I've seen a few videos of pro r's getting rolled or taking hits and they seem to take it a lot better than most sxs's. Its heavier stock to stock, but I'm betting that it's not too far off once you upgrade the can am to more comparable suspension and cage parts that don't bend when you look at them wrong :laughing:

Also, Polaris sucks :flipoff2:

Seat of the pants the Can-am feels faster because of the turbo, but you can tell they've completely maxed out the efficiency of the turbo it has.

I'm in charge of warranty at my dealer, you don't have to tell me how much Polaris sucks.

I wanted to get hold of a Pro R. Not because of the horsepower, but because of the components. A year ago they were hen’s teeth, and I could get a kinda-similar beefiness upgrade by going to Kawi. So, I’m sure I was like the one guy that was cross-shopping a Pro R and a KRX, but what can I say…

So, I saved the $15k, and have half the horsepower. I am still a big fan of the KRX.

I wanted to get hold of a Pro R. Not because of the horsepower, but because of the components. A year ago they were hen’s teeth, and I could get a kinda-similar beefiness upgrade by going to Kawi. So, I’m sure I was like the one guy that was cross-shopping a Pro R and a KRX, but what can I say…

So, I saved the $15k, and have half the horsepower. I am still a big fan of the KRX.

I like the KRX. If I were to buy a new SxS for trails or crawling it would be a Kawi. Those things are built like tanks. :smokin:

OP, You guys driving these with the "Do not ride recall" going on? :flipoff2:

I work at a Honda/Polaris/Can-am dealer and have a cool ass boss, so we lined up a 2023 Pro R 2 seat Premium and a 2023 Can Am X3 XRC Turbo RR 64 to see what they'd do. They're new machines so we went from a roll to save the tires and honestly the Polaris handled the Can-am pretty easily every time. Only time he was able to run off in the Can Am is when I had to let off for a solid second and a half to let him in front of me to dodge a car. 88 mph top speed limiter on the Can-am, 90mph on the Polaris but I saw 93 going down hill.

From 30 the Polaris would pull steadily 2 cars to the speed limiter pretty much every time. Granted the Pro R is 10k more and has 25 more HP, but also weighs a couple hundred pounds more and has way beefier components. I hate Polaris more than probably anyone but the Pro R is a pretty impressive machine.

ProR vs Can Am is stupid.

Try a Turbo R vs Can Am.

I like the KRX. If I were to buy a new SxS for trails or crawling it would be a Kawi. Those things are built like tanks. :smokin:

OP, You guys driving these with the "Do not ride recall" going on? :flipoff2:
I have heard the Kwai is robust in the chassis area but not the motor. Similar to the bottom end issues with the efi 750/800 motors. It it true?

ProR vs Can Am is stupid.

Try a Turbo R vs Can Am.
We raced a Pro XP vs the Can Am a few months ago when we first took on Can Am and it got walked every time. Both 64" wide with 30" tires, Turbo R would be slower than a Pro XP so there was no point.

The Kawi's are pretty solid but the early motors had some issues that apparently have been improved. Kawi has by far the best warranty, if you buy their extended warranty they'll basically pay for anything that's not flat out negligence.

We raced a Pro XP vs the Can Am a few months ago when we first took on Can Am and it got walked every time. Both 64" wide with 30" tires, Turbo R would be slower than a Pro XP so there was no point.
Then you're comparing 2 machines that aren't the same width nor price bracket.

I don't get it.

Flagship vs flagship? Fastest they produce vs fastest they produce? Don't know what's so hard about that.

Flagship vs flagship? Fastest they produce vs fastest they produce? Don't know what's so hard about that.
Lol

It's like comparing a BRZ and a 991 GT3 because they are both flagship sport cars.

There is no SXS that can remotely compete with the Pro R on the market at the moment. Maybe the Speed with the big bore and E85 kit but the availability is more than questionable.

Lol

It's like comparing a BRZ and a 991 GT3 because they are both flagship sport cars.

There is no SXS that can remotely compete with the Pro R on the market at the moment. Maybe the Speed with the big bore and E85 kit but the availability is more than questionable.

Doesn't mean people aren't curious.

Not to mention, despite your points, they're actually pretty close speed wise.

Lol

Supra* and a GT3. I get what you're saying, but we're talking a $10k price difference, not $100k.

I can't wait to see more forced induction setups on the Pro R, Larue performance has one at over 500 whp. I'm shocked the belt can survive that.

Supra* and a GT3. I get what you're saying, but we're talking a $10k price difference, not $100k.

I can't wait to see more forced induction setups on the Pro R, Larue performance has one at over 500 whp. I'm shocked the belt can survive that.

10k of of 30k that's 1/3rd of the price.
Although that still not a BRZ vs a GT3 but I get your point.

500hp in a side by side sounds like a death wish to me.

Sounds cool :smokin:

we all know the pro R is totally different class machine. just to start .9L vs 2.0L, ones new, how long has the x3 been mostly the same? and also i haven't been seeing the pro R to anything better, the last guy i read said a x3 rr took a proR by lengths, sooooo?

in any case i'd take the can am all day. if that 10k difference was rolled into the x3.... no competition.

biggest factor of all- its a new polaris. Fuck being popos beta tester at your own expence.

I didnt think you could get the RCRR in 64. Is that a new thing?

They seem to actually be able to hit a pebble in stock form without bending suspension parts, unlike the x3, probably why they're heavier. :laughing:

if your goona buy an x3 you just have to know that the A arms and radius rods are just a factory place holder. must be replaced immediately. throw some hcr or ct parts at it and its bombproof and still 500lb lighter. i foget the weights i think i could be more like a 700lb differance plenty of variables there of course.

i am interested in what the pro R does better, i understand the x3 suspension and options, but haven't looked closly enough at the pro r to wrap my head around what all the links do. iirc there is a link that runs inside the trailing arm, toe adj? i dont know

if your goona buy an x3 you just have to know that the A arms and radius rods are just a factory place holder. must be replaced immediately. throw some hcr or ct parts at it and its bombproof and still 500lb lighter. i foget the weights i think i could be more like a 700lb differance plenty of variables there of course.

I get that, but also frustrating to spend d that kind of money and not get at least something decent under there.

I don't think it's just the suspension that's beefier, they seemed to up everything.

i am interested in what the pro R does better, i understand the x3 suspension and options, but haven't looked closly enough at the pro r to wrap my head around what all the links do. iirc there is a link that runs inside the trailing arm, toe adj? i dont know

I don't have a dog in the fight, as I think they're both pieces of shit, but also cool at the same time. but I think it's just a better machine and more durable out of the box?(besides being made by Polaris :laughing:) Where the x3 can be much better (for now) with some mods due to how long its been around.

Was it Casey Currie who said their pro r that finished well at koh was litteraly just bolt on parts?

Multiple desert racers are saying the same thing

People talk shit about how heavy it is, but is it really apples to apples? If the chassis doesn't need a ton of reinforcement and the cage is half decent (compared to the exhaust tubing on other models) how far off are they once you beef up the x3?

The other thing I've seen is that the belt, trans, clutch, diffs, ect are all much larger than other sxs's. Plus of course, the obvious much larger engine. In theory a 2L na engine should last much longer than one half the size with boost. But again, it's poo-laris, so who knows :laughing:

its not apples to apples at all, the proR is a different class of machine. it is a blurred line. but they dont compete in the same class. over twice the motor displacement. the can am 900cc is very very proven motor. you dont see high mile polaris like you do can ams.

it all comes down to $. given the same money in, i cant see the polaris being the ticket.

i'd like to see a head to head with the proR and a can am with $10k of HCR/ ct parts, and a gusset kit in it. i dont think its on the market yet, but i thought i saw HCR had an X3 front end that had the shock mount to the lower a arm.

out of the box the proR looks to be better, but that not even fair, the polaris stop ride is still in effect right? you cant be better at anything if its not allowed to move. take that money and one weekend to swap the placeholder parts out and weld a gusset kit in. i think the X3 is still the better machine. and if nothing else proven. at least int he x3 you know that you can ride, who knows how many more stop rides polaris will issue, and if history has anything to say about it... there will be more.

People talk shit about how heavy it is, but is it really apples to apples? If the chassis doesn't need a ton of reinforcement and the cage is half decent (compared to the exhaust tubing on other models) how far off are they once you beef up the x3?

The other thing I've seen is that the belt, trans, clutch, diffs, ect are all much larger than other sxs's. Plus of course, the obvious much larger engine. In theory a 2L na engine should last much longer than one half the size with boost. But again, it's poo-laris, so who knows :laughing:
Cage is still exhaust tubing. But I think maybe they kinda engineered it this time…

The other components are badass, to my eye. It was a bit worrisome when those jackasses at sxsblog figured out there’s no oil pressure sensor on the engine (!!!) and it’s possible to starve it for oil by doing a minute straight of full throttle donuts. I’d never do that, anyway, but not having an oil pressure sensor is shocking to me.

Even if the Pro R came with free blow jobs for life I still wouldn't buy anything made by Polaris. They could have taken all that development money and poured it into improving the models they already make that suck but instead they decided to come up with something new. Nope, all set.

Friends don't let friends buy Polaris. :lmao:

Top Back Refresh