What's new

Pro-R topic ?

A guy, who I now know and spent the day with put the entire thing together. He organized politicians from multiple states to open up a massive trail system making sure the trails go to the local shops and restaurants. Lot of permission from the logging companies that own the land.
Now if only they'd let people in plated vehicles on those trails.

Now if only they'd let people in plated vehicles on those trails.
Those assholes with plates!?

They play loud music, dont have loans on their toys, zigzag in between people, drink, and ruin the trails for everyone. probably the rudest group in the entire world.

When i'm in my truck driving down a narrow 1 vehicle wide trail and I pass a Sxs and I hold up 3 because 3 trucks behind me, they just waive and have no idea what that means.

this last year there were top sxs guys, who did fairly well in the big race. the higher horsepower version will help move things in the right direction, if they had a true transmission i think that gaps would be smaller. curious to see what the other players come up with.
Horsepower isn’t at all an issue. The Millers, Chaney, and other top guys only make like 250-275 rwhp but they’re still going 100-110 mph in the desert. They easily can make more power but reliability and fuel mileage go way down. The UTVs are going to get to a point where they dominate over almost everybody but the 500k Triton cars (which are basically UTVs with V8 engines. Some of the top utv guys are looking to run 37s, and then it’d be game over for the 4400s. I think they’re still going to run 35s at KOH 2022 but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of them run 37s. Listen to how nervous a lot of the top 4400 car guys are (like VGjr) who wanted a 4400 trophy and a 4400 UTV trophy. They know it’s a matter of time before one of the top UTV guys is on top of the box at KOH. We’re going to continue to see the elite level 4400s get smaller and lighter and towards an UTV as the sport continues to evolve. Pretty exciting really, who wants to see race cars stagnate and stay the same forever. Only the people that have old ass 4400s that already aren’t competitive lol.

Horsepower isn’t at all an issue. The Millers, Chaney, and other top guys only make like 250-275 rwhp but they’re still going 100-110 mph in the desert. They easily can make more power but reliability and fuel mileage go way down. The UTVs are going to get to a point where they dominate over almost everybody but the 500k Triton cars (which are basically UTVs with V8 engines. Some of the top utv guys are looking to run 37s, and then it’d be game over for the 4400s. I think they’re still going to run 35s at KOH 2022 but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of them run 37s. Listen to how nervous a lot of the top 4400 car guys are (like VGjr) who wanted a 4400 trophy and a 4400 UTV trophy. They know it’s a matter of time before one of the top UTV guys is on top of the box at KOH. We’re going to continue to see the elite level 4400s get smaller and lighter and towards an UTV as the sport continues to evolve. Pretty exciting really, who wants to see race cars stagnate and stay the same forever. Only the people that have old ass 4400s that already aren’t competitive lol.
or they could add in rock trail to 4400 and quit racing around dirt tracks. The tracks they race now seems to be the type that SxS would excel at. Hardly any of the races have anything remotely close to the hard rock trails the U4 started out as. I get why it's where it is but just saying if some really good rock trails are thrown back in then might see something different.

or they could add in rock trail to 4400 and quit racing around dirt tracks. The tracks they race now seems to be the type that SxS would excel at. Hardly any of the races have anything remotely close to the hard rock trails the U4 started out as. I get why it's where it is but just saying if some really good rock trails are thrown back in then might see something different.
Have any SxSs tried any other U4 events in 4400? Seems like 250hp/2500lbs vs 800hp/4500lbs isn’t competitive on all the short course events.

KOH is where several SxSs entered the main 4400 race the last year or 2, and finished top 10/15ish. Race of attrition and being able to take different lines (between the rocks) balanced the results.

I wouldn’t call Hammers dirt track. I get what you’re saying, but honestly UTVs have a way of making even super gnarly rocks look stupid easy. Stuff that there’s zero chance of making in the 4600 Comanche on 35s and these UTVs are mobbing over it on 32s like it’s nothing. Kings Graveyard was supposed to stop all the UTVs in 4400 at Hammers and it didn’t. Heck Chaney and Hunter finished 10-11 in front of Loren and Campbell. Cody finished 20th. That’s INSANE that all 3 UTVs that entered finished.

The big name UTV racers don’t race the regional races because there’s nothing in it for them (and they have commitments to racing short course series in UTVs that pay far far more for less investment than Ultra4) If one of them won KOH I wouldn’t be surprised to see that person try and make a run at a national championship in 4400.

That being said, I fully expect Mitch Guthrie Jr to come back with a vengeance with a tricked out Pro R and potentially knock off some of these Can Am factory racers. Ronnie Anderson is another one to pay attention to, he’s getting really fast.

I wouldn’t call Hammers dirt track. I get what you’re saying, but honestly UTVs have a way of making even super gnarly rocks look stupid easy. Stuff that there’s zero chance of making in the 4600 Comanche on 35s and these UTVs are mobbing over it on 32s like it’s nothing. Kings Graveyard was supposed to stop all the UTVs in 4400 at Hammers and it didn’t. Heck Chaney and Hunter finished 10-11 in front of Loren and Campbell. Cody finished 20th. That’s INSANE that all 3 UTVs that entered finished.
True but imo they should have ran up the grave yard hey were still lines were one could drive around a obstacle. The size definitely allows didn't routes that would roll a normal 4x4 rig and bypasses the big rock stuff. Like spooners were they can shoot up the side slope.

What's stopping someone from building their own tube rear engine buggy and racing UTV classes?

I’ve been waiting for somebody to build a proformance Predator to combat the UTVs entering in 4400. This is what I think the future of 4400 is right here.

EB2EA067-A5EE-4A3D-8454-86075D8A5E40.png

Last edited:
Haven't read the thread, and I'm sidetracking a bit from the racing discussion...

But are the dunes a complete shit show these days now that any retard can finance a fast SxS at 15%, show up, and smash around at 60?

I remember 15-20 years ago when you either had to buy or build a real buggy, or actually ride a moto/quad that required some skill.

I’ve been waiting for somebody to build a proformance Predator to combat the UTVs entering in 4400. This is what I think the future of 4400 is right here.

I dig it, but does 4400 still require a shiftable transfer case with two ranges?

Not sure a quick-change box would count for that :laughing:

I don't think so?

Gomez run scs type boxes.

Hmm...guess not. Wonder if there ever was or I just assumed it...

2.9.3 All vehicles must be capable of transmitting power to all four wheels/tires,
and must be equipped with a functioning low range. Low range is defined as
a gear ratio that is lower (numerically higher) than 1:1

Nothing about a 'functioning high range'.

Yeah basically the Triton Engineering chassis are a SxS on steroids and they work awesome. Especially wihen the 74 weld planetry gears made 4x4 with ground clearance work.

Top Back Refresh