What's new

Prism Scopes

Lee

Guild of Calamitous Intent
Member Number
Loc
The Natural State
Anyone have any recommendations on cheap low power Prism Scopes?

Cheap is relative I know, say sub-$400, the more sub the better.

Ideally it'd be something 3X magnification for under $200.

I own an older Primary Arms 2.5X ACSS Prism, I mounted it on a Camp 9, and realized quickly that was a terrible idea. It\'s got a crazy tall mount, fixed, non-removable mount, and is meant to go on an AR, so with its height and the comb drop of the Camp 9's stock, there's no way to get a cheek weld and look through the scope. Not to mention it just looks goofy on the Camp 9. I put a Bushnell TRS-25 on the Camp 9, and shelved the PA Prism, I would like some magnification though.

Additionally, I've got a 22 Charger on its way, and think I want to put something similar on it.

I have astigmatism, and everyone claims Prisms are better for me, I have a Leupold Deltapoint, Burris Fastfire III, a TRS-25, and some cheap NcStar red dot, and don't seem to have trouble with them. Do people not wear their glasses when using them? Granted, I haven't really used my PA Prism to compare how much if any better it is.

The Vortex Spitfire 3X has/had my attention, but it looks like it'll have the same problem of my PA Prism, and be too tall. All of that will be moot soon, since it's discontinued, it's still available a few places, but its HD Gen II replacement is $100 more, and thus less appealing.

I know you generally get what you pay for, but I really like the Monstrum S330P, I could get 3 of them for the price of a Spitfire, it's got a low mount, and generally positive reviews, 4.4/5 stars from 690 reviews. Should be fine on a 22 Charger right, if folks are using it on a 5.56, should be fine on a 9mm carbine too right? There's a newer version of it too, but it's slightly more expensive, and is kind of goofy looking, style inspired by a whale shark.

The other options: Burris AR-332 has a crazy tall mount cost the same as 3x Monsturms, Primary Arms SLx 3, ditto everything I said about the Burris, Sig Bravo 3 seems like a decent option, low mount, but a little tacticool for a Camp 9, and again I could buy 3x Monstrums for one.

So I think this turned into a, talk me out of buying a cheap Monstrum post. I watched Pew Pew Tactical's - 6 Best Prism Scope YouTube video, and didn't find him to be a very competent reviewer, his biggest complaint with the Monstrum was how low it is, which is actually what I want, for the Camp 9 anyway. Also the turrets adjust opposite of what most folks are used to.

Anyone have any suggestions, anyone have any Monstrum experience? Acceptable Chinesium or Harbor Freight circa '01 may give you SARS Chinesium?

I tried editing a typo and this thing lost its mind, all page formatting vanished :confused: I think I fixed it. Edit again, also added a \ to every apostrophe, I think I got them all.

Last edited:
Most all the prism sights out there are made for ar height setups.
I have 2 of the 1x vortex spitfire on cz scorpions that I am not the most happy with. It has a lot of fish eye and the target looks smaller.
Also have one of the Burris 3x on a sig 556, it has been great, but its kind of heavy.

You can give the monstrous a shot, I have looked at them and thought about trying one of their red dots.

I've got a Burris 3x that's been on a couple of AR uppers. No real complaints beyond it being heavy and has a short eye relief. If you're a nose to the CH guy, the eye relief will be ok. It's held zero, but then again 300 BO subs and 7.62x39 aren't very punishing. Working without illumination is a bonus, but with the skinny tube, you'd be SOL without it in low light.

Have you tried a green dot sight? Seems like I've heard they're clearer than reds for people with astigmatism.

in for this discussion, as I need a new red dot something for an AR and also have the astigmatism that makes them blurry.

I was looking at the spitfire, but apparently it's shit.

in for this discussion, as I need a new red dot something for an AR and also have the astigmatism that makes them blurry.

I was looking at the spitfire, but apparently it's shit.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's shit, just has fisheye and to me makes things appear smaller.
Look through one and decide if you can live with it, I like the reticle and the red and green illumination.
It's also nice to not have batteries.

The 1x works fine out to 50 yards on small targets, at 100 yards I would want the 3X. I run mine on a pcc, might replace them if i find a better option that's reasonably priced.:grinpimp:

yeah, I see that the local shop is a vortex dealer, but I loathe them and swore off going in there a few years ago. let's just say that the last time I was there it involved me calling the sheriff.

I guess i'll have to go just so I can look through some shit and then buy it elsewhere.

I’ve have some 1x vortex spitfires for a few years that work fine for me. You can remove the riser and mount them low if you like. I like the etched reticle and the battery life is good. Solid sight out to 200yds for me.

I use a Primary Arms 1-6x with the ACSS reticle for 3-gun. Turn on the illumination, and use it like a red-dot at 1x, if I've got targets out to 400, dial it up to 6x and use the BDC. It's one of the few second focal plane scopes I own, but since I only use it at 1x or 6x it doesn't matter, it's zero'd at 6x. https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...45-308-reticle

P1070113.JPG

Zero complaints with my Cyclops. It’s built like a tank but is a bit on the heavy side. It doesn’t bother. I’m not a bitch. :laughing:

141D40A3-F6AC-4BD8-9C0B-7D9FDFF0E079.jpeg

Top Back Refresh