What's new

printer recommendation?

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
I need a recommendation on a printer for the home office. I don't work from home or anything just tired of the HP that I have saying the cartridges I bought 6 months before are empty. When they have printed maybe 12 pages.. :mad3:

I thought I saw a commercial for an Epson that has color tanks that you just buy ink for and refill the tanks? This one I think.. Epson printer

Anyone have any experience with them?

Tried the tanks thing. If you print often, it might be OK. For us infrequent printers, ink dries up everywhere -from tank and on the jets. I threw it out.

I had an HP that drank ink. Had the chips that had to be moved to the off brand cartridges. What a pos. I switch to the epson tank et5850 and so far so good. granted we print a lot here in the finance office, so nakeds reply could be possible if you dont use it a lot.

I've got some old HP laserjet 1022s that have been churning along for at least a decade. One $40 toner cartridge every 6-12 months depending on use.

just buy a cheap laser printer.
enjoy a printer that actually works when you need it to print something every other month.

send photos off to be printed.

do not buy a tanked unit with a separate printhead unless you use it constantly or you will have serious printhead clogging issues and you will replace it when it happens.

brother laser printers are my recommendation for cheap home usage. they're cheap, the software sucks less than most and they work fine.

11 years ago a roommate brought home a pickup truck bed full of HP laserjet 2300s that had been replaced at his work, some didn't work, some had lines and defects in the prints, we printed test pages on all of them and I grabbed one that looked like it just needed a new toner. Toners were like $90 at office depot, but I found one on ebay for about $20. That thing got me through college and is still chugging along to this day.

Another vote for cheap laser printer. I picked up a Samsung laser printer for $59 on a black friday sale five years ago. I believe I've replaced the toner cartridge 2x, and it was about $100.

We tried the ink jet game for years, and I feel like we constantly were buying ink. Finally it died and I bought this printer and haven't looked back.

My wife sends pics to be printed at Meijer about once a year. I have no idea what happens to them once she prints them.

I need a recommendation on a printer for the home office. I don't work from home or anything just tired of the HP that I have saying the cartridges I bought 6 months before are empty. When they have printed maybe 12 pages.. :mad3:

I thought I saw a commercial for an Epson that has color tanks that you just buy ink for and refill the tanks? This one I think.. Epson printer

Anyone have any experience with them?
Do you need color printing?

I just a lasterjet at the house and if I need something in color (almost never) I print it out at the local Staples.

We use the HP multifunction toner based printers for our people working at home. Toner never dries up. They are more reliable than inkjet. Just like inkjet you can almost buy a new printer with the cost of new toner, but that is where they make their money.

But for reliability toner is the way to go.

11 years ago a roommate brought home a pickup truck bed full of HP laserjet 2300s that had been replaced at his work, some didn't work, some had lines and defects in the prints, we printed test pages on all of them and I grabbed one that looked like it just needed a new toner. Toners were like $90 at office depot, but I found one on ebay for about $20. That thing got me through college and is still chugging along to this day.
that print engine is one of the best ever created.
that and the 5si's canon engine.
Really all the 90's HP printers were great because canon had a hefty hand in development with HP just doing the print language.
except the 1100, fuck those piles of shit.

Brother Laser printer. Bought a black and white one 4+ years ago and it's been great, prints every time, cartridges last forever, and none of the problems I had with an ink-jet.

I bought a Brother L2690DW all in one laser printer about a year ago...it's awesome. Toner is cheap. Was under $150 IIRC. I would recommend it if you don't need a color printer.

Another vote for laser. My HP has said the cartridge is empty for the last 6 months. Still prints perfect.

oh, and fuck all the wireless printers.
plug that shit in with a wire, assign it a static IP address, never have printer offline problems.

I've got an early low-end Epson Ecotank at home. I have to run eleventy-seven head cleaning cycles every time I use it.

I've got a recent mid-line Ecotank at the shop. It works flawlessly, and came with a gallon of black ink.

I think they improved them.

Do you need color?

If not, I've been using a Brother HL-5450DN for many years now with no issues. This is a network printer that prints both sides of the paper automatically(auto duplex) It is a black/white lazer jet.

Last edited:
Brother MFC-J497DW here. Been here for about 2 years now. God damn champion. Just fucking works. Wireless works really well and the scanner is a life saver.

I'm on my 3rd set of cartridges and they ain't cheap, but not bad.

HP laserjet 5
or whatever is ancient and at your local computer recycle place for cheapcheap

you can usually combobulate together a combination of generic drivers to get any ancient laser printer working on one of them parallel-usb cables

So I talked to the wife last night some more about this. We really don't need color printing at home. I just need to print the occasional document, I am not printing pics and shit. She has some membership to an online place that prints her pics for scrapbooking. it's stupid cheap too and way cheaper than it would be for me to buy a fancy printer that will do pic quality plus the cost of the pic quality paper.

I'll find a cheap B/W laser printer and call it good.. :beer:

I've been running the same HP Laserjet 5200dtn for the past 16+ years. Absolute workhorse.

I bought a Brother L2690DW all in one laser printer about a year ago...it's awesome. Toner is cheap. Was under $150 IIRC. I would recommend it if you don't need a color printer.
That is what i am running at my business, bought it 2 years ago.

I print a few 1,000 pages a month with it.

I buy cheap toner cartridges for it, works great!

I paid like $270 for mine, surprised to see it for $150 now, that is a really good deal.

If you're printing black and white, brother LaserJet. If you print color we have an Epson for color printing and a cannon printer/scanner/fax for black and white stuff that has been good. I'll never buy an HP product again as long as I live.

Top Back Refresh