What's new

Primers

Pony_Driver

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Does anyone have them in stock yet? I haven't looked since before the WuFlu and they were unobtanium then. Has the supply chain ever caught up?

Because im a dumb newb mother fucker.

Are all .223/5.56 "small rifle primers"the same fit?
Srp are srp are srp?
Not brand or i stand by xxx.
They all fit the case and have enough charge or are there different "power" or depth or bore?

Because im a dumb newb mother fucker.

Are all .223/5.56 "small rifle primers"the same fit?
Srp are srp are srp?
Not brand or i stand by xxx.
They all fit the case and have enough charge or are there different "power" or depth or bore?
Yes, all the same. But... if the primers are crimped in (milsurp, usually) you should expect to ream the primer pocket for a less than aggravating reloading experience. Small pistol and small rifle are the same, dimensionally. There are magnum primers, supposedly more robust ignition. I can't tell any difference. The long range/benchrest guys might, though. I buy whatever is on the shelf, as long as the brand is known (CCI, Wnchester, Federal).
Large rifle and large pistol are different dimensionally.

also, small pistol and small rifle primers are ”enough” the same you can use them interchangeably.

Oh and primers used in semi or full auto tend to have a harder cup to help prevent slam fires, CCI 41s and Federal Match AR are examples.

I have done this because of the shortage. They will work but you need to test and adjust your loads. Don’t just swap them out 1 for 1.
I’ve tested them. Really not much difference in MY guns. I also don’t load to max velocities or powder limits which might be a bigger impact than rifle/pistol primer differences.

Oh and primers used in semi or full auto tend to have a harder cup to help prevent slam fires, CCI 41s and Federal Match AR are examples.
Remington 7-1/2's too. I was piercing cci 400's in a m77. Think the main problem was a pretty sloppy firing pin hole. Going to the harder primers fixed that issue

I’ve tested them. Really not much difference in MY guns. I also don’t load to max velocities or powder limits which might be a bigger impact than rifle/pistol primer differences.
Mine was precision rifle loading. Had to adjust my powder load to match velocity between the two primers. Not loading to max at all. I don’t remember exactly but I think it was about 50fps different.

If you are just loading ammo to blast through an AR, I doubt most people would ever notice any difference.

I haven’t bought primers since before things went stupid with the pandemic. I see the emails notifying of availability, but I refuse to pay the current market price for them. I see them on the shelves locally more often than not, but again, stupid prices keep me from buying any.

I haven’t bought primers since before things went stupid with the pandemic. I see the emails notifying of availability, but I refuse to pay the current market price for them. I see them on the shelves locally more often than not, but again, stupid prices keep me from buying any.
I have a good stock of pre stupid price, but I don't expect them to go back to that level. MAYBE $0.05 per, more likely .07 or .08.

Let's go Brandon.

There is no place close to buy these so it's a long drive or mail order. My wife found some south American @ $80 a thousand, but it was a crapshoot if they had them in stock or not. At least the big boys will tell you they are out of stock.

I'd like some small and large rifle and pistol primers. I don't load or shoot competitively, but its nice to load plinking ammo.

I saw an ad yesterday for small rifle magnums for $0.08 each, 'bout fell out of my GD chair. Approaching the end of my small rifle primers. Last time I purchased any was over 10 years ago.

I haven’t checked since the pandemic dried everything up and I sold what I had for extra money. I expect $100/1,000 to be normal.

Grafs is still quoting $0.08 for most primers...but they haven't had any stock in a few years so we'll see what the pricing is like once the mfgs catch up.
I’m dreaming of manufacturers catching up and this being another Obama era pandemic shortage when he ordered like a BILLION rounds and soaked up all the loading supplies. I don’t expect inflation to allow primers to drop below $60 and that’s 5 years from now

I’m dreaming of manufacturers catching up and this being another Obama era pandemic shortage when he ordered like a BILLION rounds and soaked up all the loading supplies. I don’t expect inflation to allow primers to drop below $60 and that’s 5 years from now
Yes, you're dreaming.

Last year I got 5000 .224 bullets and 5k primers from xtreme bullets on an introductory deal. So far so good for me.

Top Back Refresh