What's new

Primers. Farking covid bullshit.

Stuck

In Hell
Member Number
I have my recipe for my 6.5 down pat. Federal brass 140gn Hornady BTHPs, 38.1gn IMR4350, and CCI200 primers set at 2.79" OAL. It averaged .384" 5 shot groups at 100yds over 10 groups. Pretty good. Recently I ran out of CCI200s and couldnt find them anywhere local. Everyone is sold out because of the covid crap and I didnt want to spend $25 hazmat fee.

So I was at the LGS and he had Federal 210 primers in stock. Supposed to be regular large rifle rifle primers so I bought 500 of them. Holy fuck if it didnt completely destroy my grouping. Everything else is the same. Hell even the weather was almost identical with zero wind. My freaking group size opened up to .802 avg over 3 five shot groups. WTF!

i know change one little thing and everything goes to hell. I dont want to ladder test again but I just primed 200 rds of brass. Fuckity fuck fuck!

Yes I do enjoy still ebing able to shoot. But it pisses me off that production is low and panic buying has set in because of stupid govt interference.

Where are you that you cant shoot? Is it because of closed ranges or lack of ammo?

never switch primers when you have a load recipe nailed down.

I changed my pet load and now it doesn't shoot as well as before. THIS IS BULLSHIT!

Seriously?

No dumbass. I knew it would change although I didnt expect that much. Im pissed because I cant find the CCIs locally because of the covid bullshit.

Try some WLR primers? I don’t like federal.

The Federals were all I could find local. I wanted to shoot this past weekend and I didnt want to pay an extra $25 hazmat on top of regular shipping just for primers. Im good on powder at the moment.

Work up a new load?

Yeah. Thats the plan. I guess it never hurts to have contingencies in place. Its a pain because I dont have a place to shoot at the house. So I have to work up a ladder then once I find a sweet shooter I have to go back home and load up a bunch and go back to the range to confirm.

I did see this sweet setup one of the BR guys had. He had a Harris compact press, a digital scale and all of his kit in this cool foldout carry case. He was changing his load on the fly for weather conditions.

The Federals were all I could find local. I wanted to shoot this past weekend and I didnt want to pay an extra $25 hazmat on top of regular shipping just for primers. Im good on powder at the moment.

Sometimes the hazmat and shipping fee is worth it because it saves you time and 200 peices of processed brass. Shortcuts and substitutes always bite you in the ass, especially reloading.

Well I finally got back to the range. I worked up a new load with the Fed primers. To get the same accuracy I had to jump up 1.1 grains of powder. Im really surprised that it took that much of an increase. I thought it would be a few tenths. I really need to get my chrono fixed so I can see whats going on.

Top Back Refresh