What's new

"Pretty safe" investments

Welby

Member Number
Loc
Greensburg, PA
I have money in the stock market (mainly an index fund) and an equal amount sitting in a Capital One online savings. The rate fluctuates and with the current shit state of affairs it's dropped down from 2% (which took eternity to even get there) down to 0.8% now, which to me...sucks. Are there any fairly safe investments that will give a modest 3 or 4% return that I can do with a large chunk of money?? I don't want to throw it all into stocks because the wild up and down swings are stressful... This is money that I'm not comfortable with losing. CD's are trash right now, online savings is trash right now... Even trying to save seems like a big waste of time to me anymore, but I gotta....

i put my kids savings into a 'promo' rate CD that is something like 2.5%. not great, better than 0, very stable.

"one of these days" i need to get around to investing in corporate bonds and such, 4% APY should be easily doable

Is there something expensive you want in the future?

Is there something you can buy now that will increase your earning potential?

/ Dave Ramsey/ do you have a credit card to pay off?

We save for retirement, trying to find investments that beat inflation, then use 2010 dollars to buy 2040 goods.

I don't have much in savings, but have paid for trucks trailers, forklifts, welders, a small crane truck, and am backhoe shopping. I can cherry pick smoking deals on things I don't really need, use it to make money, and if I ever get really jammed up, I sell it in the end, even if i liquidate it below market value, I'll still probably profit.

I've been on strike since October, this has done me pretty well.

I want to semi retire earlier than most on a little hobby farm and tinker with shit, maybe build custom cars and sell them, tractors, whatever. Instead of doing things the hard way now, breaking my back, and wearing myself out, to save a million dollars, I buy the equipment now and use it now, getting more accomplished in less time with less damage to my back, and in the end, I'll still have well made equipment

That's my longer term strategy.

Short term, we're going to have market turmoil, I think we're going to have deflation then a great deal of inflation, possibly hyper inflation.

In the short term, if you can buy guns and ammo within 20%of 2019 prices, buy some, if you can buy silver for $3.50 over spot, buy some, and hold cash for deals. There will be a wave of delinquencies and lots of 2nd hand goods will hit the market.

I bought quite a bit of facebook and snapchat back in march.

Snapchat has more than doubled, facebook is up 40 percent or so. Tech fund is rocking right now, but not sure how long that'll last. I'll prob let ride until the end of the year and pull out or switch to precious metals. This all just feels fake and its gonna come crashing down.

Any of yall have experience with an "online" cd account? Obviously rates are up some.

Pay down your mortgage with it if you have a low rate.

Look for high yield dividend stocks from stable company's

Buy shit that has a value to you that you can use

2 year treasury rate is over 4%
IS that a treasury bond?
No more mortgage. Stocks scare me, despite my dads long term success with them. He bought in 80's, 90's, and then a bunch right after 2009. How about municipal bonds? I want to get it put into something.

Getting 4.1% on GIC's right now, versus my 2.24% fixed rate mortgage...I'd say I'm winning. Though with inflation 7-8% reported but more like 20% I'm actually losing lol

Brass, lead & copper are going to excellent investments in our lifetime. 150 years from now maybe arrowheads again.

I bought quite a bit of facebook and snapchat back in march.

Snapchat has more than doubled, facebook is up 40 percent or so. Tech fund is rocking right now, but not sure how long that'll last. I'll prob let ride until the end of the year and pull out or switch to precious metals. This all just feels fake and its gonna come crashing down.
Meta (Facebook) was $222/share when you made this post, $135 today. Snap was $19.11 then, $10.44 today.

Hopefully you sold them sometime in mid 2021. :homer:

Gold, silver, and of course, your base metals too. Copper, lead, brass... preferably assembled... 🤔
Gold was $1550/oz then, $1625 today. So, still up on that, at least for another week or two. Silver was 18.00/oz, and 18.40/oz today, so also still ahead, but again that will likely be erased in a week or two.

Ammo, well, yeah, I suspect you're still way ahead on it.

+.8 is better than -30%. You are winning. :grinpimp:
Look at the rate of return over a reasonably long period of time; for example 5 year. Holding significant cash in a savings account basically amounts to losing money. Bonds will at least keep pace with inflation. Except for the past couple years . . .

Inflation indexed bonds. Or just buy Tesla stock. $1000 in Tesla 2 years ago is now worth over $2500.

Buying stock in electric vehicles is a no-go. They’ve barely started to become “common” and the electric grid is begging for mercy . Unless you see the entire world upgrading the power grid to every home and business , not gonna happen . Just my .02 cents .

Reactions: PAE
Top Back Refresh