What's new

Pretty damn good pork sausage

Lawless

A turd in the herd
Member Number
Loc
Canuckistan
I've been wanting to make my own sausage forever and last Christmas GF bought me a big 'ol meat grinder and casing stuffer. Well I got deathly sick as some of you know and wasn't up to doing anything with my gift.

Well now I have been feeling up to it and have been playing with those toys. I've been buying pork butt (shoulder) at Costco for a decent price and grinding it up. I would show you the process but when I went today they had already ground pork on a blow out price so I bought that instead.

I'll usually make up around 5 to 10 lbs at a time in 2 pound batches then split those into 1 lb portions.

20220509_123008.jpg

This spice list is per pound.

3/4 tsp salt
1/4 fine black pepper
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp dried rubbed sage
1/4 tsp dry thyme
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp fennel seed (this needs to be crushed and chopped up a little, when doing this keep your hand over them as they will fly all over the place if you don't.

I'll also add some red pepper flake or chili to heat it up some if I am in the mood for that as well.

Combine all the spices in a bowl and whisk them together real good before adding to the ground pork. shake on about a third of the spices and get your hands dirty, really mash it into the pork and repeat until the spices are gone.

Time to test drive it now. Never mind the grease at the edge, that's for later.
20220509_123801_HDR.jpg

Taste good? yes? Now it's onto one of my favorite ways to use the sausage.

Sausage gravy for my biscuits or whatever I have handy.

Get you some butter and bacon grease and get to frying up the sausage.
20220509_124459_HDR.jpg

Once you got it nicely browned add around 3 tbsp of flour. Stir this around for at least 2 min so you don't have a raw flour taste when done, make sure to soak up all that grease into the flour as well.

20220509_124928_HDR.jpg

So after 2 or 3 min of stirring up the flour it's time to add some milk. I like whole milk so it's what I use. Add 2 cups or so and get to stirring once the mixture thickens a little add another cup and keep stirring, whatever you do don't let it sit and boil. At this point I'll begin adding my seasoning to the gravy, salt and pepper to taste, a drop or two liquid smoke and a good shot of worchiste, worshist, ahhh fuck it that W sauce nobody can pronounce. Keep stirring and tasting till it's to your liking. You can keep adding milk until you get the consistency and amount you want as well.

20220509_125432.jpg

And it's done, gonna be a real good breakfast tomorrow morning.
20220509_130111_HDR.jpg

Before I forget, I'll use this non stick pan instead of our cast iron just because the gravy will slide right out of it and into the storage container:laughing:

Top Back Refresh