What's new

preemptive f250 sas questions/hints please

total newb

senior jerk ass
Member Number
Loc
trinity center ca
Just looking for the important minor details of a sas on a ttb truck.

96 f250
Gas mt.
5.8l if it matteres.

I have a bj d60 lined out
The shackle rev will be used to gain the small lift wanted
Ruffstuff/partmike steerinks to be assembled once axle is installed.

Shocks and brake line will be ordered once the truck is back on the ground.

Drive shaft is minor and easy to handle is it needs to be modified.

What are the small bullshit that will drag this out and slow down the swap?

I did a backwards swap, put ttb d50 in an f350 to keep the kp60, I needed to find a 250 Pittman arm to correct my geometry, but they made a few different ones

Just planning on keeping the oe ttb springs as per the shackle rev should provide the lift.

Worst case was to have them re-arched if to low.

Would the rear need to be lifted at all? I had a 96 and the front springs were all inverted to shit. I figure you SAS it with fresh springs, the front is going to be like 2' taller.

Do not reuse the TTB springs with the solid axle, they are WAY too stiff. An F350 sits 2" higher than an F250, so if you use factory F350 springs, you will get a 2" lift and it will ride like it should. The problem is that if you use the factory height F350 springs with the reverse shackle kit, you are going to end up with ~5" of lift. I know Superduty springs were popular with reverse shackle conversions and were supposed to be the best riding low buck setup, but I don't remember how much lift that puts you at. The factory forward shackle setup with factory F350 springs will ride better than a reverse shackle setup with TTB springs and give you about the same amount of lift (~2" vs. ~3" respectively).

The only difference in the rear suspension between the F250 and F350 is that the F350 uses ~2" taller blocks so that it sits higher to match the front.

If I were doing the swap, I would use all factory parts and it literally bolts right in.

I dont think sd oe spring should give much lift. They are flat as fuck.

Ill check with my buddy that has the axle and see what it has for springs.

This is my 88 IDI right after swapping in the D60. I had a complete donor truck, it was a 86 460 F350. This is the stock F350 leafs with a set of 38.5 SX. Gives you an idea on the height.

swap no cut.jpg

This is my 88 IDI right after swapping in the D60. I had a complete donor truck, it was a 86 460 F350. This is the stock F350 leafs with a set of 38.5 SX. Gives you an idea on the height.

Man. If I were to do it again, I'd rock something like that all day long. Just enough curves. Perfect ride height. Not pristine. Single digit gas mileage would get a little old, but it'd be worth it. :D

Man. If I were to do it again, I'd rock something like that all day long. Just enough curves. Perfect ride height. Not pristine. Single digit gas mileage would get a little old, but it'd be worth it. :D

It is an IDI, not a 460, it will do a bit better than single digit on the fuel mileage...

It is an IDI, not a 460, it will do a bit better than single digit on the fuel mileage...

Ah, I saw the 460 and jumped to the BBF conclusion. I know my 5.8 was getting 4mpg. :laughing:

My IDI is more tractor then truck. It gets 14mpg at all times no matter what.

Mine had 225k on the clock, 4.10s, hammered to shit, and a clapped out 5.8 that was driven by a fifteen year old that bought it from a town auction. Truck was a public works truck. didn't have an easy life.

I dont think sd oe spring should give much lift. They are flat as fuck.

Ill check with my buddy that has the axle and see what it has for springs.

It depends on the SD spring. The V codes are supposed to be pretty plush and low lift, the X-codes are the heaviest spring Ford used, and youll sit a full inch or so higher with them.

This is PMF's 2.25: S/R kit, with a set of X codes. Their kits, advertised kift heights are based off the V codes, so this is more like 3.5" of lift over stock.
Click image for larger version  Name:	14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.5 KB ID:	37595

What are the small bullshit that will drag this out and slow down the swap?

I didnt see you mention the tracbar. I run the OE bar on mine, makes a big difference with the SD springs.

Last edited:
If you need a front hangar, and are close to OKC, I have one that will bolt on.... That will give you a solid 4-6" of lift.

Is it that big of a deal? I figured with the better shackles it wouldnt be as wobbly

Even with everything up front new, i still got the occasional death wobble. With the tracbar, nothing. Dual sway bars, everything poly, it handles pretty damn good on the highway.

Any progress? The only issue on the swap is getting the TTB brackets off, after that you should get the height you want with all factory parts. As mentioned earlier the TTB leafs aren’t in a 1:1 ratio like a straight axle so they are pretty stiff. But it’s not like the F350’s In that body style rode any better. Here’s a stock 93 460 C350 on 33’s. My little brother put 35’s on another one and only had to trim the corners off the bumper to clear. Love them but they ride like shit!

centurion_zpsgevehazd.jpg

Just checking back in.
Got a kp d60 out a wrecked truck.
Oe superduty springs from a v8 gasser.
Ordering sd rev hanger kit come monday when i can call and confim some items.

All this is for a nieghbor. He wanted some new wheels that were less brodozery so i found him some with some 285s on them already to check a med sized tire fittment.

I could use a recommendation on a oe style tierod and drag link kit. Found xrf but wasnt finding a good pn for d60 kp kit.

Shackle reversal with the stock TTB springs on a solid axle is going to ride amazingly. :laughing:

Maybe you should stick to Chevy stuff.

I swapped super duty axles into my 95 f250. Did a reverse shackle swap and reused the stock springs. Biggest issues I ran into was figuring out the track bar mount, actually still haven't gotten around to that, and deciding to fab all my own brackets with an engine drive arc welder in the dirt. Probably should have just grabbed one of the kits looking back:rolleyes:

Brackets finaly showed up so now i just need to clear the driveway of grandmas last bit of firewood and get the truck here.

photo14940.jpg

I'm intrigued to see where your shackle angle ends up. I just did the OE spring reversal on my truck and my shackle is 90*, I'm considering the low profile rear shackle hanger that sky makes.

Top Back Refresh