What's new

Power Steering Pump: Hydro-Boost and Hydro-Assist

Member Number
Loc
OC, CA
The power steering pump on my truck (1978 F150 4x4 400/c6) is on its last legs and I'm looking to upgrade to a Saginaw pump in preparation for hydro-boost brakes. I also plan on running hydro-assist later on down the road (1-ton swap in my near future).

The question is: this pump is available with dual returns: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produc...Steering_Pumps is there anything to be aware of if I were to plug one of those return lines until I needed it? Also, where/what would I be looking for in regards to a fitting to do that?

The power steering pump on my truck (1978 F150 4x4 400/c6) is on its last legs and I'm looking to upgrade to a Saginaw pump in preparation for hydro-boost brakes. I also plan on running hydro-assist later on down the road (1-ton swap in my near future).

The question is: this pump is available with dual returns: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produc...Steering_Pumps is there anything to be aware of if I were to plug one of those return lines until I needed it? Also, where/what would I be looking for in regards to a fitting to do that?

Doesn't matter if you plug one. Find a suitable rubber plug that slips over the nipple and hose clamp it. Worst case use a short section of P/S hose, a bolt and 2 hose clamps to make the plug.

heck, you can use a single return pump if you want, or pop the tank off one of those pumps and drill it/add a fitting just about anywhere for a second return if you want.

just T the hydroboost return into the power steering return line anywhere before the tank, use a T or a Y and make sure the power steering return has the straight shot

Thanks for the info. My pump is a cheap AutoZone reman (non-Saginaw) or something and it's been abused (ran dry when a hose failed) and it's just noisy/has dead spots, etc. Going to upgrade to the Saginaw pump and probably spend the few extra bucks to get dual-return and plug one of them for now.

Top Back Refresh