What's new

Poverty/depression recipes?

1 package of Great northern white or Pinto beans I think 1-2 lbs?
2 large onions cut into strips
4-5 cloves of garlic diced
whatever smoked pork product you have, smoked ham hocks are the best but you can also throw in a ham bone, make it as meaty as you like.
put it all in a crock pot and fill to the top of the beans with chicken stock, I like to throw in a can of beer and top off with stock.
More than enough salt from the pork and stock but you can add pepper, chilli flakes, whatever floats your boat as far as spices but usually simple is best. I think originally water was used instead of stock, if you do that you may need to adjust salt levels.
Just cook it till the beans are tender. Usually 6-8 hours in a crock pot, probably less on the stove.
Did this last night. Hambone and scraps, black beans,onion, garlic, jalapeño and a aldi knockoff Guinness. Rolled overnight in the crockpot and came out fucking tits.

Wife makes a thing we call Shepherd's Pie although it doesn't have lamb it in.

couple pounds of hamburger, browned in a pan,

salt and pepper to taste

add some beef stock or wife uses beef soup base to make a broth

add corn, peas, green beans to make a hamburger veggie soup of sorts, thicken with cornstarch and serve over mashed taters..

could put it in a casserole dish and bake if you wanted but we just eat it like a gravy over mashed taters..

Wife makes a thing we call Shepherd's Pie although it doesn't have lamb it in.

couple pounds of hamburger, browned in a pan,

salt and pepper to taste

add some beef stock or wife uses beef soup base to make a broth

add corn, peas, green beans to make a hamburger veggie soup of sorts, thicken with cornstarch and serve over mashed taters..

could put it in a casserole dish and bake if you wanted but we just eat it like a gravy over mashed taters..
I do that too, I believe the term for that is "cottage pie"

Top Back Refresh