What's new

POV RC Airplanes

SomeGuyFromOlympia

Member Number
anyone here onto it?
I don't know enough about it. I'd love to do a 3D print kit and ad electronics
FPV looks like a really run way to do it

anyone do it?
What is a realistic budget to get flying ?

I’ve built 3 cub based fpv planes. My current carbon z cub I have stupid money into (4K+) but the fpv part isn’t too expensive for a stol plane like that where long range isn’t really what you’re after. If you want to do something long range or duration I’d go for a wing. Check out team blaksheep for the fpv side of things, although you could piece something together on Amazon too.

I’ll get some pictures of my cub next time I’m at the cabin, it lives there since it’s way too big to easily haul around.

I should add the last one was built in 2015 when fpv was still taking off. There are so many companies out there making this stuff that you’re probably better off buying one that’s ready to go out of the box instead of mixing and matching all the components for your first go around.

I'm looking for another hobby to do with the kid

She has lots of interest in flying, as do I , I thought it would be a fun project that could we could build/crash/repeat together

Some of the you tubes are pretty cool:smokin:

I just know that the money is in the electronics

slow and lazy to start with

Found a few pics

rc1.jpg
rc2.jpg
rc3.jpg

This was before $1000 of landing gear and tires.

Was just killing time and came across this thread. FPV is a cool way to go. I have lots of fpv planes, wings, drones, vehicles and even boats. A couple of them are long range, HD video, GPS, return to home, waypoint mission craft and big $$$$ into them. The most fun ones are small and really don't have much $ into them. My $50 pawn shop fatshark goggles get a lot more use than my $1000 DJI HD goggles.

For anyone thinking of getting into it, first thing you need is goggles (or a small screen, but goggles is way more better) find yourself some fatshark analog goggles on 5.8g with a built in receiver. The Eachine EV100 looks to be a good entry level unit. I have older fatsharks that work really well for me
Holy crap! I just looked up some goggles to put up examples and man have they gone up in price. Check your pawnshops and local hobby shop - maybe they have some trade ins. I lucked out and stopped in at a hobby shop while passing through a major city and they just happened to have some fatshark goggles on consignment. Only wanted $50 and that was a smoking deal.

Whatever you do, after you have your analog goggles, do NOT 'just have a look' through someone else's HD goggles. You will never go back and your bank account will take a big hit. If you have the $ ($1000 plus for goggles and cam) then just go HD right from the start.

Then get yourself an 'all in one' camera/video transmitter. Amazon has some branded wolfwhoop ( google the wolfwhoop wt06) that I have had good luck with, but the VC400 from ZOHD is really nice. It is the cam/transmitter and antenna all in one little package. You have to make sure that it transmits on the same freq as your goggles receive. I have yet to find one that won't work with my fat shark goggles

You will also need a battery for the goggles and AIO.

now you can stick that AIO on anything you want and can see the feed through the goggles - plane, car, boat, cat, dog..how about a model rocket? The sky literally is the limit.

If you don't already have an RC vehicle, just get a cheap Walmart RC toy and see how much you enjoy it. If you do like it (and you prob will) then spend the bigger Bux.

As long as you know the basics of controlling a plane, flying by fpv should be easier than flying by line of sight. I know it is for me.

A flight I took the other day. It doesn't show in the video but as I am flying I have a pretty detailed OSD that shows distance/direction to home, altitude, climb/descend rate, speed, GPS coords, battery power, pitch/tilt angles, etc etc. Enjoy the flight

ETA: that video is what I see in the goggles, it isn't from a standalone action cam. It is the first gen DJI HD setup. Not a fan of DJI overall but I sure am a fan of HD FPV!!

Was just killing time and came across this thread. FPV is a cool way to go. I have lots of fpv planes, wings, drones, vehicles and even boats. A couple of them are long range, HD video, GPS, return to home, waypoint mission craft and big $$$$ into them. The most fun ones are small and really don't have much $ into them. My $50 pawn shop fatshark goggles get a lot more use than my $1000 DJI HD goggles.

For anyone thinking of getting into it, first thing you need is goggles (or a small screen, but goggles is way more better) find yourself some fatshark analog goggles on 5.8g with a built in receiver. The Eachine EV100 looks to be a good entry level unit. I have older fatsharks that work really well for me
Holy crap! I just looked up some goggles to put up examples and man have they gone up in price. Check your pawnshops and local hobby shop - maybe they have some trade ins. I lucked out and stopped in at a hobby shop while passing through a major city and they just happened to have some fatshark goggles on consignment. Only wanted $50 and that was a smoking deal.

Whatever you do, after you have your analog goggles, do NOT 'just have a look' through someone else's HD goggles. You will never go back and your bank account will take a big hit. If you have the $ ($1000 plus for goggles and cam) then just go HD right from the start.

Then get yourself an 'all in one' camera/video transmitter. Amazon has some branded wolfwhoop ( google the wolfwhoop wt06) that I have had good luck with, but the VC400 from ZOHD is really nice. It is the cam/transmitter and antenna all in one little package. You have to make sure that it transmits on the same freq as your goggles receive. I have yet to find one that won't work with my fat shark goggles

You will also need a battery for the goggles and AIO.

now you can stick that AIO on anything you want and can see the feed through the goggles - plane, car, boat, cat, dog..how about a model rocket? The sky literally is the limit.

If you don't already have an RC vehicle, just get a cheap Walmart RC toy and see how much you enjoy it. If you do like it (and you prob will) then spend the bigger Bux.

As long as you know the basics of controlling a plane, flying by fpv should be easier than flying by line of sight. I know it is for me.
good post thank you

A nice 20 min flight late in the day. It was light when I took off but when I came in to land I could barely see the plane in the sky. Almost bounced it off the flat deck on landing too. I was pleasantly surprised to see the camera's low light ability, especially now that the days are getting shorter. Image quality definitely suffers though. Enjoy the flight!

A nice 20 min flight late in the day. It was light when I took off but when I came in to land I could barely see the plane in the sky. Almost bounced it off the flat deck on landing too. I was pleasantly surprised to see the camera's low light ability, especially now that the days are getting shorter. Image quality definitely suffers though. Enjoy the flight!

how is the signal with when out of line-of-sight?
trees/ hills and whatnot

things it looks like you do not have:laughing:

when going behind anything, like trees, hills, buildings, it actually is not tooooo bad, unless you really push it, which I don't like to do as I have quite a few $$$ in this particular aircraft. I tend to keep it up high and do my low flying close to me in case it goes down.
There are youtube videos of guys flying in parking garages, abandoned factories, etc and their video is fine.
Now that I think about it, I had my Eachine Trashcan (a tiny quadcopter) out in the forest this weekend and I was flying about 60 metres into the forest, lots of trees between me and the quad and I still had decent picture. this was on pretty old school analog video gear though and a pretty small antenna on the quad. the HD gear should do much better

A flight from this past weekend. I didn't push the distance because I didn't have a sled or the Argo with me to go get it if it went down. Was not looking forward to a long slog in that snow! Worth watching to the end, or even just start halfway through. It gets lower and faster

I jumped right in and bought a DJI Avata. It is stupid easy to fly. My 7 year daughter was flying in 5 minutes with NO issues. The motion controller is easy.
I also managed to amazing go wheeling for the 1st time with my pirate4x4 jeep...
Just random flying around and some wheeling videos here.

This video has some cool links for head tracking motion control.

I work on commercial electric lawn mowers. Ive already built a remote control system for it. Next I plan on mounting the head tracking up on the roll bar to look around. :)

The Canadian military owns a large chunk of land a few KMS west of town where they do exercises. Over the past few years the water table had really changed there, likely due to wildfires and roads that have been right beside ponds for years and years are now flooding. They built a bypass to one of the flooded sections recently and I did a flyover. I am thinking that they are going to top the new road with gravel or it is just going to wash away when we get good rains. My video gets sketchy a couple times as I was behind the truck (relative to the aircraft) and was also facing the wrong way so didn't have the best signal, especially when down low and far away:homer:
Enjoy the flight.

Thinking I am going to have to go legit and actually get my licence :mad3:. Was out with some friends (they were ice fishing) on the weekend and me and the Son in-law had some planes out. Had 5 of them between the 3 of us and along comes the conservation officer. Really cool guy, quickly checked the licences and then and has lots of questions about the planes. The CO service here does use drones but they only have abt 20 mins flight time and limited distance. He was quite intrigued when I told him about the VTOL that takes off like a drone and flies like a plane for an hour or more, and can go 10kms or more (depending on batt used) :smokin:. Enjoy the flight.

Top Back Refresh