What's new

Potential new job offer

B-rock

Member Number
Loc
warshington
current job is a 10 minute drive from me No freeway no traffic, M-F. Potential new Job is about 30 minute drive, Freeway and traffic. However it is Monday thru Thursday 4 10's. Pretty much the same pay. The benefits is the 4-10 schedule.

Would you do it Just to have a free Friday and a little longer commute?

nope. dealing with traffic for the same money and driving 4 hours in freeway traffic instead of 2 hours total 5 days a week driving backroads just to have Fridays off. nope

Depends on which way the traffic is. If you're headed North of your place I wouldn't sweat it. If it's headed south into Portland that 30 minutes could be 90 very easily.

I don't know if I'd change jobs for a three day weekend, but everything else the same, fawk yes.

Wow surprised there are not more positive thoughts here for the 4-10's

I love more days off, I think the value in more freetime / familytime / hobbytime is worth something big to me.

Man thats a tough call, I hate traffic but i also would kill for 4/10s. Is that 30 minute commute a constant or can a little fender bender park you on the freeway for 2 hours?

Personally I'd go for the 4/10's but my judgment is skewed since i've been working 5/10s for about the last decade.

You would be taking a pay cut if you factor in fuel that’s headed to $4.00 a gallon plus traffic headaches. Nope.

another factor I hadn't thought of plus increased miles on said commuter vehicle. If there was a healthy raise to go with it then yeah but not for even money.

4/10 job hands down.

Odds are you'll be able to do at least one of your commutes without traffic and having an extra day a week off instantly makes you get ~50% more of the shit you care about done. Fuel and vehicle wear are negligible compared to the benefits of getting an extra day off. You can't burn much fuel on a 30min commute anyway.

I'd gladly sit in ~30min of traffic a day in order to get another Saturday worth of productivity into my week.

I went from a 20 minute commute that would jump to 45 minutes with an accident, to a 45 minute commute that would jump to 90 minutes with an accident. The pay increase was 35% so it was worth it. I moved slightly closer and knocked a few minutes off. Did that for a little over 3 years and by the end of it, I was fucking done with traffic. 1 hour drive, 9 hours work, 1-1.5 hour drive home made for shitty morale and lack of motivation to do much of anything when I got home.

Moved to a new position that was another 30% pay increase and the commute went down to about 4 seconds to walk to my office from the bedroom. I will never commute to an office again. Ever.

4/10 job hands down.

Odds are you'll be able to do at least one of your commutes without traffic and having an extra day a week off instantly makes you get ~50% more of the shit you care about done.

I'm thinking this. 3 day weekend are awesome and I would think with a 10hr day traffic on one side has to be less then the other. I do like my time, less at work is more.

The 4 10's is tempting. But not when I gain 4 days of freeway traffic.

This is my view.

And 10hour days sound great, till hour 8 rolls around and I am mentally done.

So extra 40 minutes a day in traffic.
40 minutes X 16 days a month
That means an extra 10.5 hours a month
So now you are working an extra 10 hour shift

So you picked up an extra 4 days a month, and had to sacrifice on of them. So now you only picked up 3 days.

other considerations:
Were you getting any overtime at your current place?
Do you ever need to swing by the office? Well, now where I would swing by and get something from my tool box or off my desk, now it's an hour round trip.

I drive 30 mins now for 5 10s. Sure id take a 3 day weekend

30 min is nothing. If it was 90 min, that would be a hard pass. But 30 min a day to get geared up/destressed and have a 3 day weekend every week? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I work 5 - 12 or 13 hour days now. I'd work 4 15 hour days just to have 3 day weekends.

This is my view.

And 10hour days sound great, till hour 8 rolls around and I am mentally done.

So extra 40 minutes a day in traffic.
40 minutes X 16 days a month
That means an extra 10.5 hours a month
So now you are working an extra 10 hour shift
he office? Well, now where I would swing by and get something from my tool box or off my desk, now it's an hour round trip.

My comment isn't related to "extra" time driving. My current commute is 60 minutes on the dot... all of it backroads so continually moving.

My comment is related to the sheer number of idiots in rush hour traffic that cause my blood to boil. My old commute was ~35 minutes of freeway traffic and I always came home in a piss poor mood. Double for Friday afternoon Tahoe morons:mad3:

I travel about an hour a day in varying traffic pulling 12-14 hour days. I’d also like 4-15s...but I know I’d end up picking up another 1-15 to make extra money. :laughing:

I’d ask for more money to take the 4-10 to make up the difference in fuel and time costs.

current job is a 10 minute drive from me No freeway no traffic, M-F. Potential new Job is about 30 minute drive, Freeway and traffic. However it is Monday thru Thursday 4 10's. Pretty much the same pay. The benefits is the 4-10 schedule.

Would you do it Just to have a free Friday and a little longer commute?

if you like the new job, how feasible is a relocation to shorten the commute?

Ask for 4 10’s and honestly tell them you have been offered that.

remember, the grass is greener because you haven’t pissed in that yard yet.

When I first took the job I'm at now, it was about a lateral pay move but over double the drive time (15min vs. 35min). More flexible work schedule though, with more growth potential (I'm making 25% more now, 3 years in). Also, use the time for self-improvement. Audio books and podcasts. That is how I handle the time. It's amazing what you can learn in an hour of driving a day.
Can you get a 4/10 schedule at your current job? Which has more growth potential? Don't be scared of the commute, if it opens up opportunities. Many people in my rural area are in a hated, dead-end job because they want a 5-10 minute commute.
But the grass isn't always greener. Dig into your options further, and I'm sure you will find the deciding factor.

I used to work a 3/4 split. 12 hour days, so this 8 thing is a breeze, except the weeks are so daman long. And Im off work when the rest of the world is working. The traffic could be avoided. Just by taking back roads. add another 10 minutes to the commute maybe? maybe not.

Top Back Refresh