Post a pic of what you're riding today.

booger

Bad
Member Number
Loc
Corpus Christi
Dibs on first:flipoff2:

IMG_3700.jpg

What? and I's ride of AZ Coronado Trail/191/old 666 today. One of the most epic stretches of blacktop anywhere... too bad there's no pics of the actual road... too busy riding it :flipoff2: I rode the Tracer 900, What? on his V-Strom 650...

1/2 way turnaround point in Alpine, AZ Bear Wallow Cafe. Conservative friendly, Trump supporting, hand guns out on table while we ate, stop by and support them :smokin: This might be me rummaging around for some random chit...
51643260438_bdf90e8327_h.jpg

Joint part of ride finished. Me back to tha dirty T, What? back to Phoenix. Beers at Copper Steer Steak House before parting ways, Safford, AZ...
51642214252_61caf3efc5_h.jpg

This is what the odometer of your 1 year old bought new bike should look like. No I don't commute on it, and yes I have other bikes :flipoff2: Trip-2 was todays day trip..
51642214342_5b2542fbfb_k.jpg

First ride on my new to me 2001 yz250f. Coming from an 85 bw200...it's a lot of rather snarly bike. Also my buddies first ride on his 2014 250 husaberg. Started off somewhat sub-par, had to jump the berg to get it to fire at first, but no further issues. Is there a badass motorcycle battery? Or are they pretty consistent across the spectrum quality wise?

Weather was....pure shit. Sleet. 6" was a shallow puddle on the trails. We hit some fairly advanced single track and ate a lot of shit. Summersaults into the salad. Whisky gripped and rode a wheelie into the rhubarb. Narrowly avoided running over a mushroom picker.

Since getting home I have ordered an updated exhaust cam for better bottom end and easier starting, a kickstand, and am waiting to hear from a buddy to see what he has in the NOS sprocket stash. Currently at 13/50, gonna go 12/54. Also going to order a set of handguards. Bent the shit out of a lever today.
All in all, a damn good time.
20211107_112001.jpg

In my (very fancy) opinion, you want an Antigravity lithium battery. Shouldn’t shit the bed every two years like a lead acid. And it’s smart enough to shut itself off. As in, when there’s just enough juice for a couple more starts, it shuts itself down. Then you try to start it 3 months later or whatever, and get no juice. You push a button on the battery, it turns back on, and now the bike will start. Voila, it “self jump started” or something according to Antigravity.

I’ve only used that feature once, and I happened to be at home, so it wasn’t a major advantage. People claim that if you can’t access the battery button, you can push the bike enough to get it to turn over, and that will also re-engage the battery.

Good luck with your dirt biking adventures!

In my (very fancy) opinion, you want an Antigravity lithium battery. Shouldn’t shit the bed every two years like a lead acid. And it’s smart enough to shut itself off. As in, when there’s just enough juice for a couple more starts, it shuts itself down. Then you try to start it 3 months later or whatever, and get no juice. You push a button on the battery, it turns back on, and now the bike will start. Voila, it “self jump started” or something according to Antigravity.

I’ve only used that feature once, and I happened to be at home, so it wasn’t a major advantage. People claim that if you can’t access the battery button, you can push the bike enough to get it to turn over, and that will also re-engage the battery.

Good luck with your dirt biking adventures!

His bike is fuel injected, apparently they don't like to be bump started either. Not sure what the deal is there, that's just what the guy he bought it from said. I'll pass on the battery recommendation, thanks!

Lady friend (hasn't been riding but a few months) wanted to go out for a bit longer ride yesterday. Her previous best distance was 80ish miles in one sitting, this one was a tick over 200 so props to her for making it- she was hurting but wanted to finish the ride. This ride took us from home base down to the Mexico border and back via one of the better and recently repaved stretches of AZ fun roads (to remain unnamed :flipoff2: )

I'm doing my best to coach her past some barriers she's having, seems she's hit a bit of a wall (not literally :laughing: ) on certain things- overall speed, use of brakes (especially the front), downshifting from speed to name a few. Probably need to conquer these before moving on to other things. She's a fighter and doesn't back off from a challenge so I'm confident she'll get there.

Quick stop by the San Xavier Mission on the way out (under restoration)
me: 'ole SV - I agreed to ride naked as to not have an advantage riding a faired/windscreened bike
51773463770_993b22950f_b.jpg

her: 2022? Triumph Scrambler 950
51772579251_e5b3ced487_b.jpg

her again at the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge/ turn around spot
51772822853_1aa4407628_b.jpg

Sometimes you gotta go back to the basics. If you aren't already doing it to help her, try going to parking lots and practicing the use of brakes, gradually getting more aggressive with them. Practice downshifting at slower speeds and then increase the speed.

Some people will hit a wall and that will turn into not trying for fear of a penalty. My kids have hit those same types of walls when I take them to new areas on their dirt bikes. They will run 45 mph in our neighborhood if I let them. But take them to a proper riding area and can't get to do more than 15. It becomes a mind fuck for them and myself but then I remember we just need to warm up and then go try some more.

Sometimes you gotta go back to the basics. If you aren't already doing it to help her, try going to parking lots and practicing the use of brakes, gradually getting more aggressive with them. Practice downshifting at slower speeds and then increase the speed.

Some people will hit a wall and that will turn into not trying for fear of a penalty. My kids have hit those same types of walls when I take them to new areas on their dirt bikes. They will run 45 mph in our neighborhood if I let them. But take them to a proper riding area and can't get to do more than 15. It becomes a mind fuck for them and myself but then I remember we just need to warm up and then go try some more.
Great points all around- we'll be revisiting some basic MSF panic stops/ threshold braking and some downshifting in more controlled environments. I do live in a rural enough area there are enough straight, lightly travelled roads to work up speeds outside of parking lot limits, but she has to be willing to do it.

Part of the challenge is working with a very strong minded and intelligent woman with a streak of stubbornness that in the heat of the moment (catching her doing stuff wrong...) is not accepting of advice/in denial "I already know all that stuff!" - on the verge of tears. In that sense, younger kids would be a better/more accepting audience :emb:

I may be guilty of pushing her (example- ride posted above), but if I don't and on her own, she rides the same couple short 5-10 mile in town routes the same directions/times of day/etc. Limited learning potential with the same routine- over and over. You make a great point that new areas/rides/routes are necessary in order to expand your horizons. I think she realizes this after the fact, but always approaches these new routes with fear. Struggling to overcome that with her. It's hard to learn or be accepting of instruction if you are scared.

Last edited:
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sitting on any of my bikes in the garage making vroom vroom noises.

Lady friend (hasn't been riding but a few months) wanted to go out for a bit longer ride yesterday. Her previous best distance was 80ish miles in one sitting, this one was a tick over 200 so props to her for making it- she was hurting but wanted to finish the ride. This ride took us from home base down to the Mexico border and back via one of the better and recently repaved stretches of AZ fun roads (to remain unnamed :flipoff2: )

I'm doing my best to coach her past some barriers she's having, seems she's hit a bit of a wall (not literally :laughing: ) on certain things- overall speed, use of brakes (especially the front), downshifting from speed to name a few. Probably need to conquer these before moving on to other things. She's a fighter and doesn't back off from a challenge so I'm confident she'll get there.

Quick stop by the San Xavier Mission on the way out (under restoration)
me: 'ole SV - I agreed to ride naked as to not have an advantage riding a faired/windscreened bike
Look at you all grown up now, being the teacher. :flipoff2:

Seriously, it’s cool you have progressed far enough that you can help others. It’s not easy getting out of ones comfort zone, but if she’s going to enjoy the sport, she’s going to have to get on out there and ride. When I started out, it took me probably a month to get on the freeway and a little bit longer just to ride to work (25 mile trip on the freeway). Once I did it, I got over that fear and went further and further. Its really no different than driving a car; you start off small and easy and work your way up until it’s just natural.

Everyone is different, but you are going to have to find a way to critique her where she will listen and understand. Maybe take the advanced riders course with her or something or give her your “a twist of the wrist” and “total control” books you already have, so she can read them and maybe better understand the physics of riding. You have read those books right?:stirthepot:

For me, race season is around the corner and I’m going to try and participate a little more this year. We will see though. :homer:

Look at you all grown up now, being the teacher. :flipoff2:

Seriously, it’s cool you have progressed far enough that you can help others. It’s not easy getting out of ones comfort zone, but if she’s going to enjoy the sport, she’s going to have to get on out there and ride. When I started out, it took me probably a month to get on the freeway and a little bit longer just to ride to work (25 mile trip on the freeway). Once I did it, I got over that fear and went further and further. Its really no different than driving a car; you start off small and easy and work your way up until it’s just natural.

Everyone is different, but you are going to have to find a way to critique her where she will listen and understand. Maybe take the advanced riders course with her or something or give her your “a twist of the wrist” and “total control” books you already have, so she can read them and maybe better understand the physics of riding. You have read those books right?:stirthepot:

For me, race season is around the corner and I’m going to try and participate a little more this year. We will see though. :homer:
Right!? Full circle and all... This sport/hobby has brought me alot of rewarding joy so I do feel compelled to share it with others when applicable.

My progression was similar to yours, so working with someone on completely different scale (quite a bit slower) has been challenging patience wise. Still, I feel it's a good growth experience for both of us in different ways - so I've kept at it. As you mention - I can only push her so far- she's got to want it and get after it. Ball is kinda in her court at this point.

I do have both of those titles you mention and ironically, 'loaned' them to her for Christmas. Not sure if she's studied up. The advanced rider course or maybe some beginner level track time might help. Maybe she doesn't want to hear advice from me, haha. Maybe a neutral 3rd party would be better.

Post up some of your track adventures here! I'm deciding on my next bike. Maybe a 'hypernaked' to stay versatile or possibly go apeshit turbobusa or zx-14 and get back to the strip on a bike - not sure which end is up yet. Stay tuned :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Getting her to listen sounds like it’ll be difficult. Total Control does offer a class. It’s a step above advanced rider course and a notch below track time. It’s a very good middle ground. I think you would enjoy it too, I know I did.

I only got to race once last year at NOLA. That was a fun track, but my camera took a shit, so I didn’t get any good footage. I have a new GoPro now, so that’s taken care of. First race this year is local to me at MSRH at the end of February. If the weather is decent, I’m going to go. I need some full on track time.

I have been running my car at autocross and that has been a ton of fun, but the bikes are still me first love.

you looking for a track bike or just insane power toy?

Getting her to listen sounds like it’ll be difficult. Total Control does offer a class. It’s a step above advanced rider course and a notch below track time. It’s a very good middle ground. I think you would enjoy it too, I know I did.

I only got to race once last year at NOLA. That was a fun track, but my camera took a shit, so I didn’t get any good footage. I have a new GoPro now, so that’s taken care of. First race this year is local to me at MSRH at the end of February. If the weather is decent, I’m going to go. I need some full on track time.

I have been running my car at autocross and that has been a ton of fun, but the bikes are still me first love.

you looking for a track bike or just insane power toy?
Getting her to listen.. that's going to be a long shot. I really want her to succeed but that's a two way street. As of this week totally up in the air :/

Post up some of your go-pro! Sounds awesome. What? and I ended up getting some great go-pro footage of me leaving on him corner after corner on 191/666 :flipoff2: I'm not good at editing otherwise I'd post up.

Understood on mixing up of hobbies. As you know I started heavily street car/drag biased and this motorcycling thing has taken over my life. Still have the Mustang but it sits collecting dust while I ride.

Great question in regards to your last point and I don't know the answer yet, hence why I'm struggling to pull the trigger on anything.

Getting her to listen.. that's going to be a long shot. I really want her to succeed but that's a two way street. As of this week totally up in the air :/

Post up some of your go-pro! Sounds awesome. What? and I ended up getting some great go-pro footage of me leaving on him corner after corner on 191/666 :flipoff2: I'm not good at editing otherwise I'd post up.

Understood on mixing up of hobbies. As you know I started heavily street car/drag biased and this motorcycling thing has taken over my life. Still have the Mustang but it sits collecting dust while I ride.

Great question in regards to your last point and I don't know the answer yet, hence why I'm struggling to pull the trigger on anything.
Would you be willing to drop $600 on helping her out a bit? I bought helmet comms for my wife and I. I didn’t expect it to be nearly as useful as it is. My wife is also intelligent, driven, and a bit scared of riding. I knew I couldn’t teach her the basics because I’m unqualified and because it would lead to giant frustrations. So, after MSF taught her the basics, we just ride around together. Chatting over the comms definitely calms her down, and then when I need to tell her to go faster, I can tell her right then. It’s better for both of you because you don’t have to stew on it for 15 minutes, then pull over in a huff to give her a do-better talk. It makes it way easier to be gentle, and since 90% of what you tell her will be “pothole on the right” or “shit, check out this fancy house” or “what a view of this valley”, it will be received much better.

I call bullshit, hurry up and post the video to prove me wrong. :flipoff2:

I love the mix of hobby, though it'll get expensive or cost split in between. I'm just glad pandemic didn't affect the motorcycle-relate, availability and cost wise.

Definitely decided next bike big will be 08-12 FJR 1300. I want the Africa Twin or BMW but don't think there's lot of adventure riding with my group in distance future vs lot of solo riding cross country

Would you be willing to drop $600 on helping her out a bit? I bought helmet comms for my wife and I. I didn’t expect it to be nearly as useful as it is. My wife is also intelligent, driven, and a bit scared of riding. I knew I couldn’t teach her the basics because I’m unqualified and because it would lead to giant frustrations. So, after MSF taught her the basics, we just ride around together. Chatting over the comms definitely calms her down, and then when I need to tell her to go faster, I can tell her right then. It’s better for both of you because you don’t have to stew on it for 15 minutes, then pull over in a huff to give her a do-better talk. It makes it way easier to be gentle, and since 90% of what you tell her will be “pothole on the right” or “shit, check out this fancy house” or “what a view of this valley”, it will be received much better.
We both have Sena's - but a great suggestion. We are learning to navigate what is a good amount of info to relay. I'm a talkative/extrovert, her a quiet introvert so there is an overall gap in styles, and this really comes through while riding. I start telling her about my line choice entering a corner, where I'm trailing off the brakes and how much throttle I start adding at what point and she freaks out with info overload :/ ...

But great advice overall, and appreciate your perspective.
Don’t get passed by a 300. :flipoff2:
I can confidently say - I'm most likely beyond that point. :grinpimp: Not in a cocky way at all, as I very much realize my limitations and that I'm still slow relatively speaking. I know a truly skilled guy on the same bike will leave me, but I'd like to think I'll be close enough behind to meaningfully follow lines, brake and throttle take up points etc. I really need to get to a track :emb:

I can confidently say - I'm most likely beyond that point. :grinpimp: Not in a cocky way at all, as I very much realize my limitations and that I'm still slow relatively speaking. I know a truly skilled guy on the same bike will leave me, but I'd like to think I'll be close enough behind to meaningfully follow lines, brake and throttle take up points etc. I really need to get to a track :emb:
When A_G and I did a track day down here a few years ago, I ran my 300 and he was on his FZ8. He wouldn’t let me enter the track behind him because he knew I would pass him and he didn’t want that to happen. :lmao: And in a race environment, I’m no where near fast. :homer:
7B57A95C-4972-4C14-9C9A-8F18E23DD312.jpeg

Last edited:
Lady friend and I are headed out tomorrow, first time riding together since I made her do the 'epic'. We've been doing our own thing in between so it will be interesting to see where she's at. I broke the ride up into different stages, offering her up a couple different options to shorten the ride if she's not feeling it - we'll see if that helps. Sena's charged up and ready to go so going to put my best coaching foot forward, wish me luck.

Luck wished, how did it go?

My wife and I went for a 2 up ride on Saturday, first time in a long while she felt comfortable. Last time she liked it was riding around on a TW200, then we tried some sport bikes and a Harley, she did not like any of those and stopped getting on. She now has decided she likes the KTM 890 so I guess we have some riding to do before it gets too hot.

5353.jpeg
Bought this guy cheap at auction. Either gonna flip it or keep it around for a buddy bike.

Top Back Refresh