What's new

Pork shoulder, pulled pork recipe

Toyoda

Member Number
I picked up a 4lb pork shoulder to try and make some pulled pork.
Any good recipes, any vinegar based recipes?
This will be on my smoker, first time for pulled pork.

Rub the night before and put in fridge. Then pull the meat out of the fridge an hour before smoking. I usually smoke a few hours with fat side down (timing on smoke will depend on how much smoke you like), then wrap in pink butcher paper with some beef or chicken broth added inside. Back on, fat side up after wrap, then don’t be afraid to crank the heat up. Pull it when internal temp is about 205*. Let‘r rest in an ice chest for an hour or so, then pull away. :smokin:

I’m not a fan of vinegar, but you may be.

4# pork, I’d suspect 6-8? Hours total cook/smoke?

Last edited:
Sorry for all the edits. Drinking and looking at my notes that were for a 10# pork shoulder.

Oh. After you pull it apart, a sprinkle of your favorite season over all the meat helps. Plus the drippings make a good sauce for dipping.

For pork I like a dry rub (pick one from the internet) and smoke it with apple and or cherry.

If you have to pick one use cherry. It adds a sweet flavor. Once pulled use your favorite BBQ sauce. Sweet Baby Rays or Bullseye or whatever trips your trigger.

So pork butts are on sale at heb this week for $1 a pound. Gonna pick up a couple 10# ones and smoke them this weekend. Then vacuum seal what we don’t eat for future quick use.

So pork butts are on sale at heb this week for $1 a pound. Gonna pick up a couple 10# ones and smoke them this weekend. Then vacuum seal what we don’t eat for future quick use.
I've been doing that for a while now. It's so awesome to just grab a bag and have smoked tacos when ever you want

pulled pork hash using either white or sweet potatoes is an excellent use of leftovers. bonus points for throwing a fried egg on top of a serving.

The wife makes pretzel buns for the pulled pork sandwiches. Nom nom nom

Pulled pork tacos is the noms too. :homer:

Here is the recipe I follow and have saved.

Pulled Pork

Ingredients
  • 1 (4-7 pound) whole Boston Butt or pork shoulder (bone-in with a layer of fat on the bottom)

DRY RUB
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar

BRINE SOLUTION
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 quarts cold water
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3 tablespoons dry rub mix

Derictions

1. Rinse the pork shoulder and place in a large container, pour in the brine solution until the shoulder is completely covered. Cover the container and place in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours. (24hrs to 36 seems to work best)
  2. Remove pork shoulder from brine solution, pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle dry rub onto the surface of the shoulder and massage in such that it adheres to the surface. Coat all sides. Make sure the fat layer on the shoulder is facing up before cooking! Place on smoker at 225 degree F. Insert a probe thermometer into the center or thickest part of the shoulder, but not touching the bone. Monitor the temperature throughout cooking (a digital thermometer with an alarm function is the easiest way to do this). Do not remove from smoker until the center of the shoulder reaches 200 degrees.
  3. Let rest for an hour in cooler for at least an hour before shredding.
  4. Shred and enjoy.

Any good recipes, any vinegar based recipes?

This is what my dad used to base his recipe on. The hand written totals was for doing a whole pig. I'm not sure how much he changed this on the fly from what is written but I do know he would throw quite a few jalapenos in there.

Loved that shit. Someday I'll nut up and try a whole pig myself since I still have his homemade cooker behind the shed (which was normally just for one, I honestly can't recall when the hell he did two at once but I found this pic in my FB feed)

20210903_215856-L.jpg

1040387_535906033112054_145890636_o-L.jpg

I always inject my pork shoulders with Dr Pepper. Gives it great flavor.

Dry Rub
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
  • 1 tablespoon granulated onion
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon white pepper

• I don't like too much brown sugar in the rubs for a pork butt. The long cook ends up burning it and gives it an off flavor. I saw that 1/2 cup recipe up above and immediately thought it would work for ribs as the cook doesn't need to be as long.

Sauce

• 1 gallon ACV pour out the gallon down to where the bottle stops necking down
  • add 1 23 oz. bottle Franks Red hot
  • 1 T rubbed sage
  • 1/2 bottle Worcestershire
  • 4 T Crushed red pepper
  • 2 T Black pepper
  • 1T cayenne or Ground Chipotle
  • 2 T onion powder
  • 1 T garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup Brown sugar
  • 1 T Thyme
  • Salt as needed

It's easier if you warm it up to get the sugar and salt to dissolve but damn does it stink up the kitchen, I do it on the outside burner. This makes a ton of sauce. I usually make the gallon then refill the Franks red hot bottle with sauce and keep the gallon in the fridge, lasts forever.
    Clearly you can cook the meat already. The key is the in the post cook rest if you have time to do it.

• It's BBQ, it'll be fine as long as you don't dry it out.

I always inject my pork shoulders with Dr Pepper. Gives it great flavor.
Mom has a pulled pork recipe she does in the crock pot uses rootbeer
We were down visiting family in Granbury TX a couple of week ends ago SIL took us to the local butcher shop. Now I have what looks like the whole front leg of the pig sitting in my freezer along with 2 inch thick pork chops, brisket ...

Mom has a pulled pork recipe she does in the crock pot uses rootbeer
We were down visiting family in Granbury TX a couple of week ends ago SIL took us to the local butcher shop. Now I have what looks like the whole front leg of the pig sitting in my freezer along with 2 inch thick pork chops, brisket ...
Think you can get that root beer recipe?

Think you can get that root beer recipe?
Man it was tough you know old ladies they don't like to give up recipes, but I hung tough for ya ( I had to threaten to start crying twice, and damn holding my breath don't work so good anymore) But here it is

Attachments

• slow cook pork 20211001_16313797.pdf
    935.5 KB · Views: 51
Jesus - All you had to say was throw a butt in a crock pot with some root beer. Thank your mom for me. No wait, I deleted

Top Back Refresh