What's new

Polaris Ranger 800 Crew Battery Issues

Texas97

Surgical Shotgunner
Member Number
Loc
Texas
Ive been having trouble with this thing, its a 2011. Lately, its not charging the battery and then if it sits for more than a day, it kills the battery and i cant start it.

i put a dual battery setup on it, with an isolator and maybe im not seeing why i need the dual battery other than for my accessories, like my sprayers. its not kicking in to help with cranking.

it has LED lights, ive unhooked them so thats not a draw. I have a Power Commander V and Autotune wired in and its on a switched wire that feeds the taillights. so its not drawing on the battery. ive got a voltmeter in the dash that shows me both batteries. i was using it Saturday and it would idle the main battery down to about 11 volts and sometimes as low at 10.3 volts, which is really terrible.

My diagnosis is a bad voltage regulator. Is there anything else anyone has experienced that i should be checking into also? Maybe i need to check the stator? but i dont think that would be drawing it down as it sits, since its just a coil. i hope its not a stator because i dont want to tear that bastard apart.

Ive been having trouble with this thing, its a 2011. Lately, its not charging the battery and then if it sits for more than a day, it kills the battery and i cant start it.

i put a dual battery setup on it, with an isolator and maybe im not seeing why i need the dual battery other than for my accessories, like my sprayers. its not kicking in to help with cranking.

it has LED lights, ive unhooked them so thats not a draw. I have a Power Commander V and Autotune wired in and its on a switched wire that feeds the taillights. so its not drawing on the battery. ive got a voltmeter in the dash that shows me both batteries. i was using it Saturday and it would idle the main battery down to about 11 volts and sometimes as low at 10.3 volts, which is really terrible.

My diagnosis is a bad voltage regulator. Is there anything else anyone has experienced that i should be checking into also? Maybe i need to check the stator? but i dont think that would be drawing it down as it sits, since its just a coil. i hope its not a stator because i dont want to tear that bastard apart.
Checking the stator was going to be my suggestion. Sometimes they can short internally and create a draw.

Might want to disconnect everything except for the charging and check with a meter to see if there is a draw. If so, probably the stator.

Check voltage at battery while its running.
i am or have a multmeter mounted on it. while running, depending on idle or WOT, its going from 11 volts to 12.3 volts, is about the highest i see.

I'd def change the regulator before diving in to the stator.

that the plan, easy "fix" to see before i have to peel the case apart. knowing my luck, its going to be the stator but ill have the new regulator tomorrow and will check if it fixes it. the bastard runs a lot rougher than i remember it from a few months ago, and im hoping the volatge reg is just being inefficient.

Ok installed the new regulator tonight while I charged the main battery. Battery got to 33% and I cranked it up and ran around for about 8 minutes. Volts showed it went from 11.0 to 11.5 the whole ride.

The whole thing definitely ran much smoother. Got home to try and get both batteries charged fully before more testing and then the only culprit left is the stator

That's interesting, I don't know anything about a recall. This machine is 3rd/4th hand to me.
I don't remember the recall details, but an ex buddy had his done. Had same issues as you.

I think it has to do with an isolation relay and possibly the stator, but I can't remember for sure.

Seemed like it had to do with the dual battery system.

Weird thing is my diesel crew only used 1 battery mounted by the left drive tire. Nothing under the hood but the fuse block.

I don't remember the recall details, but an ex buddy had his done. Had same issues as you.

I think it has to do with an isolation relay and possibly the stator, but I can't remember for sure.

Seemed like it had to do with the dual battery system.

Weird thing is my diesel crew only used 1 battery mounted by the left drive tire. Nothing under the hood but the fuse block.
Only thing I found looking online was a TPS recall and or the wiring loom.

I'll keep searching, whatever it is it's going to cost me for an 11 year old machine

Only thing I found looking online was a TPS recall and or the wiring loom.

I'll keep searching, whatever it is it's going to cost me for an 11 year old machine

Wish I could remember more details.

I just remember he brought it in for a recall/TSB for same issues and it didn't cost anything.

the only recall i found was for the voltage regulator wiring harness/loom not the actual stator
Also what I found.

Ok, update. Both batteries charged fully from my auto charger today. Cranked fast and easy, main battery showed 12.5, under throttle went up to 13.0 and then at idle back to 12.5/12.6.

I'm not calling it solved yet but it looks promising. Will test it some more this weekend.

I also found a detailed test for the stator plug that goes into the regulator to check what you're getting from the stator. I'll check that too.

CAn you find the factory specs? My defender makes 14.0 volts running at idle.

ok, weekend update.

i used the Ranger to haul about 40 gallons of spray in the bed and i drive around and spray mesquite with it. i have been hooking the sprayers to the main battery. i think this has been my downfall as it drew down the main battery Saturday, it was also 100 degrees. so between sprayers and the fan that has to cycle on and off, it was drawing that battery down to 10.5 and would barely get it back up to 11.0 volts under throttle.

i charged the batteries again yesterday, and what i am seeing with JUST the Ranger and no sprayers is that under idle, im sitting easily at 12.0-12.2 volts. when under throttle, that bumps up the main battery to 12.6-12.7.

i am going to hold off on tearing into the stator, and see how things do when i route the sprayers and all other auxiliary to the back-up battery.

Alright, I'm going to spray a bunch tomorrow.

For some support, can I hook up a 20w solar panel attached to the roof and run the Polaris that way? Or are those chargers supposed to have all the machines electrical connections disconnected from the battery?

I'd like to leave it at the ranch and have it on my tractor full time. So same question on it

Top Back Refresh