What's new

Polaris drive shaft?

Poke

I’m condescending
Member Number
Has anyone had or noticed a rzr driveshaft where the yokes weren’t indexed? Mine factory shaft yokes look 35 or 45 degrees different.

Is the tube twisted at all? The two piece shaft that I bent in my old rzr wasn't very confidence inspiring but it was indexed properly.

They are all like that. Lots of people pull them and have them properly phased. I use mine solely in the dunes and rarely run it in 4 so I haven't bothered.

I think Sandcraft RCR sells a properly set up one.

A friend told me he’s only seen them out of wack and Polaris just sticks them on any way and welds.:lmao:

Interesting because unbalanced, non indexed shafts mean you need the big rubber carrier block. If you used a proper carrier bearing hard mounted it would rattle the teeth out of your head.

A friend told me he’s only seen them out of wack and Polaris just sticks them on any way and welds.:lmao:

Interesting because unbalanced, non indexed shafts mean you need the big rubber carrier block. If you used a proper carrier bearing hard mounted it would rattle the teeth out of your head.
The factory drive shaft does a zig zag thing, it is possible that the u joints being out of phase has something to do with making that work. I doubt that though.

However I have put a protractor on a few now and they all seem to be the same amount of out, so its not like they just banged them on where ever they felt like.

Last edited:
Sandcraft and superatv both sell correctly indexed ones, I just had the one in my 800 out for the 2nd time to replace a yoke, planning on buying a new one from SATV this summer. out of phase cant be good for the tcase or pinion bearings/seals

My 2020 rzr 900 trail has 10k miles on mix x4 and x2 and still has all original front shaft. I haven’t looked at the phase.

Yes the Popo D/S are not phased as mentioned. I tweaked the front section on mine so I used that as reason to put a Rhino shaft in it. had to go to the solid mount carrier and it does vibrate a bit more but the whole damn thing makes so much noise it was like just another thing. lol

My Ranger driveshaft vibrated like crazy. I-joints had slop in them so I pulled it to put joints in it. Was super confused when I found the yokes welded out of phase, super disappointed too. Polaris made the driveshaft “unserviceable” as in you aren’t supposed to be able to put u-joints in it, replace the whole prop shaft. Someone sells u-joints though so I did it anyway. Still vibrated like crazy because I didn’t fix the out of phase shaft.

On my RZR, I replaced it with a CV driveshaft and it’s smooth as a 2 cyl and unbalanced 34’s can be.

My 2020 rzr 900 trail has 10k miles on mix x4 and x2 and still has all original front shaft. I haven’t looked at the phase.

Damn. That’s more miles than I’ve put on vehicles in similar timeframe!

It was a rental before I bought it.
Jury is still out on just how much of a dumbass I am for buying a rental toy:homer::laughing:

Gotta say the po maintained the crap out of it. And it was 35-40% less than same year low mileage rigs. Much less than old rigs with half the miles and unknown maintenance even.

My Ranger driveshaft vibrated like crazy. I-joints had slop in them so I pulled it to put joints in it. Was super confused when I found the yokes welded out of phase, super disappointed too. Polaris made the driveshaft “unserviceable” as in you aren’t supposed to be able to put u-joints in it, replace the whole prop shaft. Someone sells u-joints though so I did it anyway. Still vibrated like crazy because I didn’t fix the out of phase shaft.

On my RZR, I replaced it with a CV driveshaft and it’s smooth as a 2 cyl and unbalanced 34’s can be.
The dealer put U Joints in my Ranger.
They were tiny things made for PTOs on trucks. I forget the part number, but where maybe $15-20 each.
Mine is a 3 cylinder, 900 something cc.

My u joints got really sloppy on the first one, so I replaced it with another stock one. Both of those were out of phase. When I bent that one, I went in with the super expensive Rhino with the CV joints and hard mounted carrier. I can’t tell any noticeable gain in smoothness, but I’m sure I could’ve if I had hard mounted the Polaris shit.

Top Back Refresh