What's new

Poison plants

WaterH

Member Number
Loc
North Florida
So we installed a pool and fancy walkway in our backyard recently. My wife and I decided to go to the nursery and get some nice plants to go around the walkway. We walked through grabbing differnt plants that caught our eye. I spotted this one plant that had nice color leaves with nice shape to them. I read the little pamphlet on it. It said these plants have beautiful leaves all year round and when the bloom, it has long trumpet shaped flowers of yellow and white, that are amoung the most fragrant of all flowers. Sounded great and we bought a big pot of them.

When I got home, I was looking where I would plant them. I have some spots that are parcel shade and others that are full sun. I thought I should look up the plant on google to see what it likes. Come to find out it's poisonous. Every part of it is poisonous. (Leaves, stems, roots and flowers. I'm not talking poison ivy poisonous. I'm talking Dr Moriarity puts this shit in Sherlock Homes tea poisonous. It brings on vomiting, hallucinations and yes violent death. Not just people, dogs are also at risk.

WTF

Wouldnt you think they would mention that on the pamphlet? I'm not sure what I want to do with this now. Any plantphiles on here tell me this is over blown.

It's an actual problem. Fuckhead nurseries are having some super nasty plants imported/cultivated because they "look nice" and then generally avoid mentioning it when they sell them. I'm not sure what you bought, but I have an idea of what it is.

Yo, WaterH - how's about you tell us the name of the poisonous plant?

You know, so you're better than the nursery vis-à-vis disclosure? :homer:

Genuinely curious - what deadly vegetation did you buy?

If you don't eat them you should be fine. :homer:

You worried about your wife cashing in on your life insurance policy with them? :lmao:

If you don't eat them you should be fine. :homer:

You worried about your wife cashing in on your life insurance policy with them? :lmao:

I wouldn't plant any deadly shit anywhere dogs could get at it.

Humans on average suck, but dogs are just good people.

Smart animals do not eat poisonous plants. Thats how they have managed to remain on this planet as a species.

Don't fuck with doggie Darwinism.

:flipoff2:

Won't bet against you, but what if he's going to start chomping morning glory seeds?
- would LSD's cousin LSA make Waterhorse more or less . . . "waterhorsey"? :laughing:

I thought it was marigolds?

I thought it was marigolds?

I had "pennyroyal seeds" misremembered as the frizzle-fry source from shit I read 30+ years ago, but looked it up before posting & came up with morning glory seeds. Never heard of marigolds being a trip ticket. :confused:

Smart animals do not eat poisonous plants. Thats how they have managed to remain on this planet as a species.

Don't fuck with doggie Darwinism.

:flipoff2:

I hear you - never had a dog die from eating plants.
But filling your yard suddenly with deadly shit could be bad.

Have any of these planted?

Azalea
Daffodil
Hydrangea
Lilies
Rhubarb

Nope. Maybe an azalea or 2, but I'm not going to go check :laughing:

Unfortunately, we also have no dogs to worry about right now :frown:

Around here there are Oleanders almost everywhere. Poisonous as hell. We just don't eat them. :flipoff2:

Around here there are Oleanders almost everywhere. Poisonous as hell. We just don't eat them. :flipoff2:

If people looked up the plants in their yard they would be surprised at what is poisonous, hell castor oil has a ton of uses but if you eat the beans you gonna be dead since they contain ricin.

If people looked up the plants in their yard they would be surprised at what is poisonous, hell castor oil has a ton of uses but if you eat the beans you gonna be dead since they contain ricin.

I'm not surprised by the oleanders. They've been used in freeway medians out here for decades. We have them along the fence line on both sides of our yard.

nightshade?

I don't know shit about plants, but from the sounds of it, you should start with very small, insignificant even, amounts in tea. Drink 1 cup a day around 10 am, observe for a few hours.

step it up until a pinch at a time until you get to hallucinations, cut back a bit if you get to death :flipoff2:

Oleander comes to mind... It's real popular around the south and southwest. I remember a story about some kids getting sick from using the branches to cook hot dogs on. Another sotry about the smoke being really toxic. YMMV.

Oleander has historically been considered a poisonous plant because some of its compounds may exhibit toxicity, especially to animals, when consumed in large amounts. Among these compounds are oleandrin and oleandrigenin, known as cardiac glycosides, which are known to have a narrow therapeutic index and can be toxic when ingested.

Toxicity studies of animals administered oleander extract concluded that birds and rodents were observed to be relatively insensitive to oleander cardiac glycosides.[SUP][34][/SUP] Other mammals, however, such as dogs and humans, are relatively sensitive to the effects of cardiac glycosides and the clinical manifestations of "glycoside intoxication".[SUP][34][/SUP][SUP][35][/SUP][SUP][36][/SUP]

In reviewing oleander toxicity cases seen in-hospital, Lanford and Boor[SUP][37][/SUP] concluded that, except for children who might be at greater risk, "the human mortality associated with oleander ingestion is generally very low, even in cases of moderate intentional consumption (suicide attempts)."[SUP][37][/SUP] In 2000, a rare instance of death from oleander poisoning occurred when two toddlers adopted from a Siberian orphanage ate the leaves from a neighbor's shrub in El Segundo, California.[SUP][38][/SUP] A spokesman for the Los Angeles County Coroner's office stated that it was the first instance of death connected to oleander in the county, and a toxicologist from the California Poison Control Center said it was the first instance of death he had seen recorded. Because oleander is extremely bitter, officials speculated that the toddlers had developed a condition caused by malnutrition, pica, which causes people to eat otherwise inedible material.[SUP][39][/SUP]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerium

I wouldn't plant any deadly shit anywhere dogs could get at it.

Humans on average suck, but dogs are just good people.

That is the reason my GF removed some of the Oleander from her yard; they were hanging over the fence and she was afraid the neighbors new dog would chew them.

The episode where Spock got a little action.

Some sort of pheromones sure worked, kinky!!

But unfortunately, it was a flower shaped like a short trumpet/funnel that could rotate & blammo!! I think it was in group of three shots? The aliens had like shiny complexions & shiny(?) blond hair.

Thanks anyway :beer:

So we installed a pool and fancy walkway in our backyard recently. My wife and I decided to go to the nursery and get some nice plants to go around the walkway. We walked through grabbing differnt plants that caught our eye. I spotted this one plant that had nice color leaves with nice shape to them. I read the little pamphlet on it. It said these plants have beautiful leaves all year round and when the bloom, it has long trumpet shaped flowers of yellow and white, that are amoung the most fragrant of all flowers. Sounded great and we bought a big pot of them.

When I got home, I was looking where I would plant them. I have some spots that are parcel shade and others that are full sun. I thought I should look up the plant on google to see what it likes. Come to find out it's poisonous. Every part of it is poisonous. (Leaves, stems, roots and flowers. I'm not talking poison ivy poisonous. I'm talking Dr Moriarity puts this shit in Sherlock Homes tea poisonous. It brings on vomiting, hallucinations and yes violent death. Not just people, dogs are also at risk.

WTF

Wouldnt you think they would mention that on the pamphlet? I'm not sure what I want to do with this now. Any plantphiles on here tell me this is over blown.

It's a Nightshade. Yes, all Nightshades are poisonous.

Here are some common Nightshade plants:

Potatoes
Tomatoes
Tobbaco
Bell Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Other Peppers

Yes, Peppers ARE bad for you. This is settled now. Peppers with capsacin ARE bad for you, and correlate strongly with shorter lifespans, eliminating other factors of course. This is because they are Nightshades and contain Nicitinoid-type chemicals as all Nightshades do.

Back in the day when people subsisted on potatoes, you had to peel them because that's where the poison is.

It's Belladonna, Deadly Nightshade, the poison that put Juliet to sleep so we could have a 13-year-old love tragedy.

Some sort of pheromones sure worked, kinky!!

But unfortunately, it was a flower shaped like a short trumpet/funnel that could rotate & blammo!! I think it was in group of three shots? The aliens had like shiny complexions & shiny(?) blond hair.

Thanks anyway :beer:
Here ya go.

Here ya go.

"Quick, let's all stand within the cloud of potentially deadly crap that just knocked Spock the fuck out" :laughing:

EDIT: I'm glad I didn't realize how painfully cheesy Star Trek TV show acting was when I was a little kid.

Last edited:
Fuck that plant!

"Caution is required because this plant is extremely toxic. Every part of the plant is very poisonous from the leaves, flowers, and seeds, to the roots. Poisoning takes place when plant residue enters the bloodstream or gastrointestinal tract. This can occur through digestion or absorption in the mucous membranes (eyes, nose, etc.). For example, if a gardener has contaminated hands and then rubs his eyes or eats food, he will become poisoned.

Symptoms of poisoning include dilated pupils, muscle weakness, dry mouth, a rapid pulse, fever, and hallucinations. Convulsions and paralysis may occur and can lead to coma and death. Seek medical attention immediately if symptoms or exposure occur."

https://www.thespruce.com/angels-trumpet-brugmansia-spp-3269243

Top Back Refresh