What's new

Plasma cutting brass

AK_F250

Red Rocket
Member Number
Loc
Alaska
I have a guy wanting me to cut him a brass '27 chevy emblem. It's about 4" across and fairly detailed and I don't want to waste a ton of material getting it decent. I've cut brass before but it was all 1/4" half hard and didn't need to be too precise so I just ran with aluminum parameters.

Any tips or tricks to brass cutting?

Powermax 45XP on my homemade 4x4 table if it matters.

If detailed, smallish and quality of cut matters..... I would sub it to a waterjet provider. But that is me.
That was my immediate thought as well. But we’ve only got one that I know of and the quality hasn’t been very impressive to say the least. I’ve had good luck with very detailed stainless but I know that cuts differently than brass.

Unless it's a submerged table, lots of ventilation and/or a respirator.

That was my immediate thought as well. But we’ve only got one that I know of and the quality hasn’t been very impressive to say the least. I’ve had good luck with very detailed stainless but I know that cuts differently than brass.
Small brass item. Can easily be done through the mail. I bet you can find someone on Etsy or whatever that will take an email file and mail you the finished brass item at a very reasonable price.

Seems like something that would be easier on a small cnc mill, even the routers can handle brass well.

What thickness are you making? Are you going to inlet it for color fill?

Honestly for a small project like that sendcutsend.com would be my choice. I had a few items cut out by them and it was awesome and came quick to my door. If you need help making the file into a DXF feel free to email me the logo or what you want and i'll see what I can do for ya. [email protected]

Top Back Refresh