What's new

Plan my snowmobiling vacation

Member Number
Loc
OKC
My wife and I have always wanted to try snowmobiling, so we’re thinking about a fairly quick trip to give it a whirl. Ideally, it would be beginner-friendly terrain, but not beginner-exclusive. As in, lots of groomed trails, some ungroomed. Lots of views, if possible.

I’m ok with flying or <12 hour drive from OKC. Ideally, we could hire a guide but wouldn’t be forced to, so then we could go on the little shepherded tour for a bit, then do our own thing for a couple days.

Is any of this possible? How do I do it without getting fully hosed on cost? How realistic is it to plan something like this to do in the next month or so?

Thanks!

Last time I rented a snowmobile was in Winter Park, CO (about an hr from where we were living). Winter Park is the more "pedestrian" ski area. There are lots of outfits there that do a few hour tours in a group arrangement. IIRC, didn't have to make reservations too far in advance (a week or two) and, again IIRC, it was less than $100 for both of us. The downside is that the group only goes as fast as the fattest, oldest, most out of shape blob of hominid that thinks he should sit at the cool kids table. The machines were small and underpowered (for me anyway. I used to race MX/SX). Bottom dollar, call ANY snowmobile rental outfit in CO and tell them what you're looking for, there are tons.

Grand lake is a good place to rent and ride for a few days, groomed trail systems and many spots to high mark and fool around. I feel like it’s the the most snow mobile friendly town in colorado

Check out the sled rentals in Grand Lake Colorado. Lots of groomed trails around there (or at least there used to be). Plenty of powder if you want and get a long track sled.
X2 awesome vacation rentals also

Thank you guys for all your input. I’ll be in Grand Lake next week! We just booked one riding day in advance, and we’ll play it by ear after that. We’re pumped!!
Well it’s next week how was the snowmobiling?

We put about 50 miles on them on Monday, and have them booked again for tomorrow. They are Skidoo 600 BackCountry single seat sleds. Supposedly kind of a crossover between a trail sled and a back country one. I think they’re 140hp, and they freaking run. I buried mine 3 times, and ate a tree during one of those. So, I’m a tad bruised up, but fine. Overall, we had a blast with it. Next time we’ll come earlier in the season and set up some ice fishing with it. Then we’d also be able to ride them through town, for whatever that’s worth.

I’m amazed at how well these things run in varied conditions. And who knew there was a brake on them? But what really shocked me is how dumb they make you look in an off-camber situation. I need to learn how to carry a ski in the air to level the ground out…

21CA83CA-0A67-480B-B759-3D4478860157.jpeg
399D4611-887D-4503-B88B-7AA96ED34123.jpeg
B20F59BD-16F6-4436-B4ED-88589665BDBA.jpeg

Rode another 50 miles today. Got majorly stuck in a ditch once, and fell off it once. The falling off was when I was trying to balance on some flat ground with a ski in the air. I could semi-reliably carry the left ski standing on the right side of the machine. The time I tried carrying the right ski from the left side, I ate snow at 20 mph. I wish I had a video of it, because it felt hilarious as I was tumbling.

We had an absolute blast today. It was 20 degrees with a wind, so the thaw we had had the last couple days had turned into a pretty serious crust at low elevations. But at higher elevations, there was maybe 4” of new powder, it was still snowing, and no real crust anywhere. The wide open play areas were perfect, and my wife and I were racing all over the place on them.

I of course have no frame of reference, but those sleds (Skidoo 600r Backcountry) seemed pretty capable to me. Solid acceleration, good braking, decent ride. Top speed was an indicated 67 in not-quite-perfect conditions.

It really is crazy to me how instantly an EFI 2-stroke starts, revs, and how quietly it runs. I’m never crazy about the sound of a 2-stroke dirt bike. But these things are downright pleasant.

Sounds like a good time was had:beer: did you do the trail system by grand lake like super chicken hill and all that? Good times up there

Sounds like a good time was had:beer: did you do the trail system by grand lake like super chicken hill and all that? Good times up there
Yep, did roughly the east half of the Grand Lake trail system both days. As far west as gravel peak, I think. I don’t remember super chicken hill explicitly, though—not sure if we got to that.

Top Back Refresh