What's new

Pistol brace ruling - ATF at it again

Their “points sytem” is completely insane. IMO, if the owner can shoot it one handed, it’s a pistol. A girl that’s 4’ 11” couldn’t get in and drive an F-350 owned by a guy that’s 6’ 4” without adjusting everything. Does that mean it’s not a vehicle?

If they just want their $200 tax, come out and say it, and sell them like duck stamps. You could walk into Bass Pro, buy one for $200 cash, write the serial number of the SBR on it and sign it. Nothing is registered, traced, or submitted.

I dont think the holiday had anything to do with it. I think they said tere was a 60 day grace period which will almost have to be extended. There are millions of braces that fit the ruling and there is no way they have the infrastructure to handle that many registrations in 60 days.

I’m currently waiting on an e-file for a Form 4 on a can, it’s been 6 months, before adding any backlog. So what happens when it’s been 120 days and they haven’t completed their end of it? Your fault, should have done it on day 1?

I really don’t understand the ‘trust’ thing because I THOUGHT the ‘loophole’ of a trust owning them closed a few years ago. Now everyone in a trust has to be fingerprinted and background checked for anything added where as I THOUGHT before this law you could add and subtract people from an NFA trust for less than another $200/firearm.

I’m not familiar with “how it used to be” but my understanding of the “trust loophole” was that if you registered your NFA item as an individual, the local sheriff/police chief had to “approve“ your application. I believe this was from the old times where small town cops would know the trouble makers by name. Problem is many LEO’s in liberal areas would just reject all of the applications and you weren’t getting your item.

The trust route was a “notification” which prevented them from being able to stop you, and I believe at the time only the grantor of the trust had to be fingerprinted and photographed. That has since changed to all forms (individual or trust) notify LEO, so no more approval problems, but every trustee has to be fingerprinted and photographed upon transferring an item into the trust.

The “work around“ for this is you can create the trust in your name only, add the items you want to it, then add additional trustees. I cannot remember if they have to be fingerprinted and photographed one time or not, I don’t believe they do. At least you don’t have to send your wife down to the police station and let her know every time you buy a can. :laughing:

Their “points sytem” is completely insane. IMO, if the owner can shoot it one handed, it’s a pistol. A girl that’s 4’ 11” couldn’t get in and drive an F-350 owned by a guy that’s 6’ 4” without adjusting everything. Does that mean it’s not a vehicle?

If they just want their $200 tax, come out and say it, and sell them like duck stamps. You could walk into Bass Pro, buy one for $200 cash, write the serial number of the SBR on it and sign it. Nothing is registered, traced, or submitted.
The stamps are free.
I have 5 cans they all took 9-10 months. Even after e-file came along.
Correct that's what I've been reading about why a trust was preferred a few years back. If you're registering it, go individual. You can transfer to a trust after your approval. You will have to re-file under a form 4 to do that though. Not sure if you would have to pay a tax at that point.

Dildos, the answer to any aft anything is always dildos.

The stamps are free.
Correct that's what I've been reading about why a trust was preferred a few years back. If you're registering it, go individual. You can transfer to a trust after your approval. You will have to re-file under a form 4 to do that though. Not sure if you would have to pay a tax at that point.

You have to pay the $200 tax any time you transfer, there is no reason to go individual IMO.

The stamps are free.
No, register as a trust. Then its free to the trust.

After the first reg it will be $200 for a transfer, even to your own trust. Also they said that under this amnesty reg you only have to engrave if you transfer it, so you could be spending more there to move it to your trust.

Hurry up and add the items to your trust before it gets in the register. It has to be on your notorized assignment sheet before then

"Send a picture of your newly illegal firearm" ok. Sounds like a trap.

I hope people don't flood the system as it screws the rest of us stamp collectors who are waiting on integrals, cans and FA.
Yeah, my take on it as well.

Fuckers.

No, register as a trust. Then its free to the trust.

After the first reg it will be $200 for a transfer, even to your own trust. Also they said that under this amnesty reg you only have to engrave if you transfer it, so you could be spending more there to move it to your trust.

Hurry up and add the items to your trust before it gets in the register. It has to be on your notorized assignment sheet before then
As I read it the firearm had to be in a trust prior to the ruling or you have to file as an individual. I haven't seen a fee for the stamp whether filing individual, trust corporation or government. Yes, I believe you would be charged a fee to transfer to a trust after initially filing under individual. That would be another transfer.
What's the date it's supposed to hit the registrar? I assumed it had already passed.
I have the single shot trust's. Not sure if items can be added or not. Also, not sure how to go about it. I should have been more proactive on this. But as usual, gonna have to jump through hoops.

Last edited:
As I read it the firearm had to be in a trust prior to the ruling or you have to file as an individual. I haven't seen a fee for the stamp whether filing individual, trust corporation or government.
Prior to the registration date of the ruling. Not just the ruling. I don’t know the difference, other than it takes time for the ruling to be published. I’m sure they’re the same day for this or real close.

I’m not familiar with “how it used to be” but my understanding of the “trust loophole” was that if you registered your NFA item as an individual, the local sheriff/police chief had to “approve“ your application. I believe this was from the old times where small town cops would know the trouble makers by name. Problem is many LEO’s in liberal areas would just reject all of the applications and you weren’t getting your item.
This is how it used to be, and was why I couldn’t get one as an individual. My county basically had no one who qualified as a CLEO who would sign, so I would’ve had to go the trust route.

But several years ago the CLEO “permission” got changed to simply a “notification”, so I was able to start collecting NFA items without going through a Trust.

As I read it the firearm had to be in a trust prior to the ruling or you have to file as an individual. I haven't seen a fee for the stamp whether filing individual, trust corporation or government. Yes, I believe you would be charged a fee to transfer to a trust after initially filing under individual. That would be another transfer.
What's the date it's supposed to hit the registrar? I assumed it had already passed.
I have the single shot trust's. Not sure if items can be added or not. Also, not sure how to go about it. I should have been more proactive on this. But as usual, gonna have to jump through hoops.
It still hasn't hit the register. I have been checking every morning. Its not even in the register as scheduled yet.

Any reason not to file individual other than not being able to add/subtract people from it.

Any reason not to file individual other than not being able to add/subtract people from it.
No one else can have access to it. So technically if your wife/family had the safe combo it's in violation.

Also if another person would ever need to take it to the range without you there

Found this as a response from sb tactical:
Basically they say they are going to fight it through FRAC. No actual substance. They have had plenty of time to prepare for this. They have known this rule was coming out for a year now.

No one else can have access to it. So technically if your wife/family had the safe combo it's in violation.

Also if another person would ever need to take it to the range without you there
Thanks, doesn't really affect me then. If my boys ever develop an interest in them, I'll move them to a trust. I'd probably waste more time and money messing with it now then what the transfers would cost.

It still hasn't hit the register. I have been checking every morning. Its not even in the register as scheduled yet.

Filled out my trust assignment sheet this evening, planning on having it notarized tomorrow. So they will probably post it tomorrow and I’ll be unable to do it.

Still haven’t decided what I’m actually going to do yet.

To those thinking about filing just remember that a registered sbr is a whole lot more difficult to sell than a pistol or rifle. People don't want to wait who knows how long to get their gun.
Factory sbrs don't sell well.
If you aren't going to keep it forever it's probably not the best idea. Look at the market for used suppressors.

To those thinking about filing just remember that a registered sbr is a whole lot more difficult to sell than a pistol or rifle. People don't want to wait who knows how long to get their gun.
If you aren't going to keep it forever it's probably not the best idea. Look at the market for used suppressors.

Who sells guns, unless you take them on trade and don’t really want them anyways?

I buy and sell pretty regularly. Currently trying to consolidate my collection a bit. Focus more on my key interests - manufacturers- countries. Collection is currently a bit more spread out than I would like.
I also only have so much space fort storage and room in the safe.
They are just tools. If I can sell 1 or two I don't use anymore and buy a nicer one, then why not?

I buy and sell pretty regularly. Currently trying to consolidate my collection a bit. Focus more on my key interests - manufacturers- countries. Collection is currently a bit more spread out than I would like.
I also only have so much space fort storage and room in the safe.
They are just tools. If I can sell 1 or two I don't use anymore and buy a nicer one, then why not?

I'm a gun collector/shooter/enthusiast. I'm not a gun hoarder. I have no problem with someone else taking care of that gun when I'm finished with it

The ringleaders game is never ending, there will always be another hoop to jump through to gain their feigned favor. Just do what the fuck you want and don't be obvious about it.

I own 2 registered pistol lowers. Neither has an upper on it. Meh. :laughing:

Not true. As long as its in your home, whether or not you're there, with or without a safe, its in your possession.

Pretty sure SBRs can be brought back to title 1 status, notify the ATF, they void the stamp, now you can sell just like any other firearm

Got my trust done and notarized yesterday. I'm pretty happy I managed that task. Now those guns (should be) safe from the feds for my kids...

The trust route was a “notification” which prevented them from being able to stop you, and I believe at the time only the grantor of the trust had to be fingerprinted and photographed. That has since changed to all forms (individual or trust) notify LEO, so no more approval problems, but every trustee has to be fingerprinted and photographed upon transferring an item into the trust.

The “work around“ for this is you can create the trust in your name only, add the items you want to it, then add additional trustees. I cannot remember if they have to be fingerprinted and photographed one time or not, I don’t believe they do. At least you don’t have to send your wife down to the police station and let her know every time you buy a can. :laughing:

fingerprints required for everyone in the trust for every NFA item.

Top Back Refresh