What's new

Pickled Trout

petro812

Blackskull Oblivian
Member Number
Loc
I walk with Crom
Anybody do it? Got a recipe?

I've done two batches, and I'm pretty close to what I want. But I don't wanna die.

Cook it fresh, in butter with lemon pepper and enjoy hot?
Pickling? :barf: Why can't you just smoke it like a normal person? :flipoff2:

Cook it fresh, in butter with lemon pepper and enjoy hot?
Pickling? :barf: Why can't you just smoke it like a normal person? :flipoff2:

We've got a lot? A whole bunch more than I wanna smoke or dance with in the bacon grease? Because we're doing that. :grinpimp:

I want some pickledherringtrout in sour cream with extra onions is all.

We've got a lot? A whole bunch more than I wanna smoke or dance with in the bacon grease? Because we're doing that. :grinpimp:

What's a lot? Following this thread because my mother has a buddy that used to run a charter boat on our local trout lake. Now he just goes out for tournaments. She met him at the dock last week and brought home 17 fish. Mostly browns this trip. She has an electric roasting pan set up outside to cook them and feed them to the cats. I used to pull copper for lakers but they started to pile up in the freezer and nobody wants them.

That sounds nasty.

well, now you need to do it for science anyways and share what you've got :flipoff2:

The pain in the ass prep ones are tasty and awesome except for the skin and some parts of the lateral thingy.

The easy prep ones have gone crazy with the spices and are entirely way to much to just slap on a cracker.

Science. :flipoff2:

No to the sour cream either. But where do you get the brine to pickle stuff?

My wife had some staples in the pantry (salt and sugar and vinegar) and also left me alone long enough to search some shit on the interdnets. I really don't want to die, hence this thread right here.

I’d think you could add some instacure to it if you’re worried about bacteria growing. Or just freeze it all, then do it as ceviche as you’re ready to eat it, but I get the preservation aspect of pickling.

I grew up eating pickled herring in sour cream with onions. Damn tasty stuff, but my wife who grew up in SoCal is like ………………………. :barf::barf::barf::barf:
Never thought of doing that with trout. I'd be interested in trying it.

Only way I've had it that was edible was smoked and canned.

Trout is trash fish anyways. I just toss them back in the lake unless somebody asks me for some smoker sized ones.

Only way I've had it that was edible was smoked and canned.

Trout is trash fish anyways. I just toss them back in the lake unless somebody asks me for some smoker sized ones.

Only guy I ever heard say that was a Canadian 'pickerel' fisherman. . . That you, Bob?

I strongly suspect you are only used to dealing with one type of trout.

petro812 I grew up consuming a significant portion of my protein as wild game. That's because we were on the Big Lake every Saturday and Sunday it seemed, then the rivers in the fall, then ice-fishing....

So, a chest freezer. Also, canning. Canned salmon and trout is pretty damned good. Canned fish makes excellent fish patties. You can make fish patties out of Trout by adding some fat to the mix.

Lake Trout tend to be fatty. You should not be keeping them if you don't like them and won't eat them. Learn how to clean them up.

We threw our Lake Trout back because they're not that good. Canning still works on them because it provides the opportunity to make patties. The pressure-cooking process removes an enormous amount of the 'negative' fish flavor. Plus I guess being essentially rinsed, but you should be maximizing your fish/water ratio as you go along. Still, you'd be surprised how well it improves less desirable species of fish.

Why are fish patties so damned good? Because it's the same things as a meatloaf or meatball: You put a bunch of stuff in there to go with whatever fish you're dealing with, and it fries up exactly the same way as a hamburger patty. You should be able to get it to work on the grill as well with saltines and egg. You can use butter, lard, or anything else you'd make a meat patty stick with. Bread heels dried out and crunched up. Then spices, seasoning and herbs.

I like canned fish patties with Saltines, an egg for about 1 Qt jar, some minced green pepper and minced onion. Fried in an iron skillet with good fat or oil.

The same thing at a restaurant will cost you $9 per patty.

Canning dude. If you're a big fisherman that keeps your catch, I don't see how you can get by w/o it after you've filled the chest freezer.

The amount of fish I've eaten and the mercury therein might reasonably explain much of my adult behavior. Believe me, I've eaten a LOT of fish.

Last edited:
I grew up eating pickled herring in sour cream with onions. Damn tasty stuff, but my wife who grew up in SoCal is like ………………………. :barf::barf::barf::barf:
Never thought of doing that with trout. I'd be interested in trying it.

So far the trout I pickleded two (3?) weeks ago are dammned tasty and just like a herring, but only need some more onions.

Extra added bonus: I didn't die.

What kind of trout are you using? Canandaigua lake has a mix of lakers, browns and rainbow. I only catch lakers when pulling copper. Lakers are super oily. I need to get a downrigger and crap for the others because they don't hang on the bottom.

What kind of trout are you using? Canandaigua lake has a mix of lakers, browns and rainbow. I only catch lakers when pulling copper. Lakers are super oily. I need to get a downrigger and crap for the others because they don't hang on the bottom.

They're planters (near as I can tell, and from two different lakes where they might be running around wild all on their own, in one of those...) from a farm up north: https://mtlassentrout.com/

Top Back Refresh