What's new

Pickled eggs

I can get a can of boiled and peeled quail eggs for like $2 at the local Chinese store. Two of those in a mason jar with some vinegar, salt, garlic and peppers and it's on

I like them, make my own.

Wife and kids think they’re disgusting, so I don’t have to worry about anybody stealing them.

They also hate my garlic, and onion stuff olives. They’re kinda pussies.

Them's some tasty motherfuckers I tell you. There was a sandwich spot that had a big jar of em for 50c each and I used to grab a couple when getting lunch. I think it might be a cultural thing as well cause most people are kind of turned off by them, meh, I'm half chink so I grew up eating those 1000 year old preserved eggs

I have never tried one but def want to try one.

The only place i have ever seen them is in dive bars.

I would buy a jar of them if I saw one for sale or if someone posts up a good recipe.

I have recently learned that hard boiled duck eggs are amazing and have been eating the shit out of them.

I bet those pickled would be great, someone post up a recipe!

I can't do boiled eggs, the smell of em just kills me, but pickle em and I'm all in.
I buy jars of half a dozen pickled eggs, find em by the kosher stuff in the cooler. Dip em in Frank's red hot!
Post up recipes if you've got em!

Well hell... Just did me a little google search and recipes are all over the board. I think I have enough stuff left over from my last pickle session to make a batch.

We have a cooking forum yet?

Best I’ve ever had is an old dive bar called Joe Jost's in Long Beach. Super old place with consistently killer pickled eggs over the years.

I wonder if someone’s figured out their recipe.

I love some pickled eggs. But they can be a mess to make with the beet juice staining everything.

Anyone just tossed some some boiled eggs into a jar of pickle juice after you’re done eating the pickles? Maybe add some garlic and peppers? Is there any reason that wouldn’t work?

I love some pickled eggs. But they can be a mess to make with the beet juice staining everything.

Anyone just tossed some some boiled eggs into a jar of pickle juice after you’re done eating the pickles? Maybe add some garlic and peppers? Is there any reason that wouldn’t work?

That's what my wife does, I don't know if it's any good but she eats'em.

That works but they end up tasting like whatever pickles came out of the juice. My mom puts beets in old pickle juice and those turn out pretty good too

So do you just use a pickling mix like you make pickles out of or is it a different flavor?

I like my shit a little spicy.

Moe sells them to :homer: at the bar. Local supermarket used to sell the yuge jar-

That works but they end up tasting like whatever pickles came out of the juice. My mom puts beets in old pickle juice and those turn out pretty good too

There’s an gootah pickle I really like. I think some eggs would be perfect in its brine, it has garlic and chili slices in it. It’s a garlicky spicy mix. Not like dill or other American pickles.

I can't do boiled eggs, the smell of em just kills me, but pickle em and I'm all in.
I buy jars of half a dozen pickled eggs, find em by the kosher stuff in the cooler. Dip em in Frank's red hot!
Post up recipes if you've got em!

My guess is you are most likely buying Strubs, you can get the jar of 24 of them at Costco for less than $10.

I’ve done it that way, as well as starting from scratch. My wife gets pickles in like a 1 1/2-2 gallon jar. When the pickles are done, I’ll throw in some more vinegar, garlic, onions, peppers, hot sauce, etc.

i dont have an actual recipe.............just use the pickle juice method, or start with some eggs in a jar, cover with vinegar, and start adding whatever sounds good.

Love a good pickled egg, but not hip to the beet juice ones (no particular reason).
Don't care for pickles (pickled cucumbers) at all, so haven't tried that brine.
The best I've made was using up a jar of Mezzetta hot jalapeno rings & filling it back up w/ boiled eggs - fookin' awesome :bounce2:
I've done homemade pickled eggs in a white vinegar brine (+ galric & jalapenos) that were OK (just OK).
Need the recipe for Mezzetta's brine they use for their jalapenos - that's my all-time favorite.

If you're pickling eggs, leave 'em alone for at least a week or you're shorting yourself the goodness.

Well, let’s give this a whirl....

CD112156-5FD4-48E3-BDCB-FB9BC6843A96.jpeg

Reactions: IGT
Our recipe
vinegar
Red beets
Onion
Hard boiled eggs
Put em in a jar in the fridge for a week, and voila:smokin:

I do a batch every few months.

hyApj1O.jpg

Here's the trick:

Use old eggs. At least a month after bought, disregard the expiration date. If they don't float to the top when placed into the boiling pot, they are good to go. Old eggs the membrane sticks to the shell more. Believe me, forget about every other "How do I make eggs easy to peel?" trick. Old. Eggs. 2 weeks AT LEAST. I have literally never had a rotten egg, sometimes they stand on end.... but they don't float.

At sea level (too bad for you guys on mountains, you'll have to adjust your wait time), You put the eggs in a pot and cover them with COLD water by 1" or so. The eggs have to fill one layer of whatever size pot you want. Put that pot of COLD water eggs on the burner of the stove, and turn it on almost high. Wait until it's beginning a rolling boil, turn OFF the heat, cover it, and wait 9 minutes. This gets perfect yolks every time. If you're at 5,000 feet, might have to wait 12 minutes. For me at sea level, waiting 12 minutes starts the green around the egg.

Other than that it's just dumping the eggs in a qt jar and covering them with whatever mix of vinegar and water you want as long as it's at least half vinegar. Throw whatever you want in there.

I get Doz. eggs per Qt.

Dollar Store italian seasoning and garlic powder works just fine. But I do it all.

Get the red color form beet juice, but that means you now have pickled beets in your house and that's some type of sin.

Reactions: IGT
Top Back Refresh