What's new

Pets, that are not dogs or cats

montrose818

Banned
Member Number
Loc
SoCal
What kind of pets do you or did you have that are not the typical dog and cat?

Racoons, possums, lizards, monkeys, goats, etc. (not animals you keep for farm purposes).

Had a bearded dragon for about 8 years that was basically like a small dog to me. Took him trips, stores, etc. Never had a cage for him, which was part of the reason he died - not enough UV and heat, but he lived a long enough and happy life. RIP Buddy.

Would love another pet that is not a dog or cat.

Your turn.

I have a chinchilla and a big ass oscar fish.

Another kind of Dogs or Dog Mix..

Ferrets.

River Otters.

Foxes.

Descented Skunks.

Racoon Kits 10 of them back 20 years ago, 1 week to 1 year old.

Had Ferrets somewhat like this one.
https://imgur.com/gallery/GRtaKuv

Last edited:
I did have a monkey when I worked in Sudan. My bunk mate wasn't fond of it so I gave it away to a national.:mad3:

I have a chinchilla and a big ass oscar fish.

I've had chinchillas before. Dust baths became a pain.

We had a handheld love bird. That thing was really cool. Had it trained and stuff. Would fly from it's cage to me.

A snapping turtle we found on the road. Kept it for 6 months or so and released it in the creek.

My dad had a couple pet skunks when he was a kid. He said they were the best pet ever. Smart and playful like a dog, but nice and friendly like a cat.

One was descented the other he said must have been retarded or something it wasnt descented but never sprayed.

My grandpa had a pet badger.

I dug out a 150 gallon (estimated) pond last year and it has four bluegill, 20 something minnows, and as of today two leopard frog tadpoles. Hopefully our American Bulldog continues to ignore the pond as the frogs grow.

Another kind of Dogs or Dog Mix..

Ferrets.

River Otters.

Foxes.

Descented Skunks.

Racoon Kits 10 of them back 20 years ago, 1 week to 1 year old.

well, feel free to post comments on how each pet was

We’ve got two burros, Donkey and Kong. Also have some goats, but they’re just there to keep the property fire safe.

I've got a collection of self propelled cacti.... aka hedgehogs. Also a couple of snakes, sheep, ducks, chickens, etc. The line between pet and livestock is a bit blurry.
142287701_10224590062284685_8904480980130137395_n.jpg
153050181_10224870751501740_7644460175572055944_n.jpg

I had a black and white Tegu for about 10 years. Think Komodo dragon but smaller. Mine got to about 3.5' long when I gave it away. Thing was fucking viscous. I'd throw full grown mice and rats in his cage and he'd fuck them up and swallow them whole:eek: I had to wear my welding gloves and jacket to catch him in order to clean his cage. It was cool for a long while but he was getting too big and too viscous to care for.

Last edited:
My dad had a couple pet skunks when he was a kid. He said they were the best pet ever. Smart and playful like a dog, but nice and friendly like a cat.

One was descented the other he said must have been retarded or something it wasnt descented but never sprayed.

My grandpa had a pet badger.

My mom said the same thing. Had a skunk when she was little. Really friendly. Ate cat food.

Chinese water dragon was the shit. Named cru (movie rad) loved him till he dies in my arms after almost 9 years... also found out he was a chick about 3 years in when Eggs were laid... mind blowing, had no idea that happened if no spouse around. Like a life period I guess

They look like raptors

I've got a collection of self propelled cacti.... aka hedgehogs. Also a couple of snakes, sheep, ducks, chickens, etc. The line between pet and livestock is a bit blurry.

Oh yeah I had a pet hedgehog when I was a kid. It was cute but kind of boring all it did was sleep. Then it bit me once and I was done. They got tiny little needle teeth. We gave it to a lady and she got another one and raised a few.

My dad was at an auction the other day and they sold one for $150. I thought wow I think I gave $30 for mine that was 25 years ago. I need to start raising them if they are worth that much.

I had a black and white Tegu for about 10 years. Think Komodo dragon but smaller. Mine got to about 3.5" long when I gave it away. Thing was fucking viscous. I'd throw full grown mice and rats in his cage and he'd fuck them up and swallow them whole:eek: I had to wear my welding gloves and jacket to catch him in order to clean his cage. It was cool for a long while but he was getting too big and too viscous to care for.

3.5 feet or 3.5 inches?

we got a duck, a love bird and a parakeet, africa water frog (hes albino)

Oh yeah I had a pet hedgehog when I was a kid. It was cute but kind of boring all it did was sleep. Then it bit me once and I was done. They got tiny little needle teeth. We gave it to a lady and she got another one and raised a few.

My dad was at an auction the other day and they sold one for $150. I thought wow I think I gave $30 for mine that was 25 years ago. I need to start raising them if they are worth that much.

Ours are a bit more active than that, but you're right that they don't do all that much. On the other hand, neither do fish or half the other things people have for pets. The heggies are at least cute and are somewhat fun when they're awake. They do have sharp little teeth and I've been bit a couple times but they never actually break the skin. Now, the spines are a different story.... instinct is to catch something if it falls, but this is a very bad idea with a heggie!

Actually $150 is pretty cheap - they seem to go for like $300+. Part of why we have a pair now.... make more and hopefully sell them. ~4 in a litter, 2 litters and year, and that's $1500 or so from a pair of critters that take take 30 seconds a day to take a care of, eat about $0.10 of cat food a day, don't smell and are generally easy to take care of. Of course, we haven't actually sold any yet, so who knows.

Besides the usual dogs and fish... I’ve had snakes, and a ferret. After we moved onto the property it was common to have a kid or two (baby goat) in the main house

Who was the dude with the bugs?

I’ve always had fish. We currently have a red eared slider that I found as a hatchling in a 200 gallon aquarium stocked with fish and forage plants. We just got a leopard gecko as well and he is pretty damn cool

My sister had an alligator for a few years. She kept in in a smaller aquarium so it didn't get to big.

My sister had a rabbit when we were kids. I killed it with the lawn mower by mistake. I didn’t run it over I think I gave it a heart attack. We also had a hamster but I think the cat ate it.

My sister had a rabbit when we were kids. I killed it with the lawn mower by mistake. I didn’t run it over I think I gave it a heart attack. We also had a hamster but I think the cat ate it.

Yeah you can scare them to death. My sister had a guinea pig at the same time...my rabbit had to be kept separate, or he just used that poor squeaker as a sex doll.

I have kept some pretty cool reef aquariums in the past. 100+ animals in each big tank I had. Currently just a fish and shrimp in my I dont have time to fuck with it tank with some random corals

Top Back Refresh