What's new

Pet .308 loads?

Roc Doc

2A SNBI
Member Number
Loc
Way out West.
For precision use. 24" Colt 2012, likes 168 and 175 SMKs, so will probably stick with those, or maybe a similar weight Berger VLD.

Varget seems popular, but is really hard to find these days.

H4350?
H4831sc
RL15 or RL16?

Or?

I don’t load for .308 but H4350 is generally the powder of choice for 6.5 manbun which uses a very similar case. IIRC it’s not what you want if you’re a speed freak, but seems to be very accurate and consistent.

I have some 130 gr TGK’s loaded with 43 gr of it I need to go shoot.

Edit: just did a little reading and it looks like many people consider H4350 to be too slow of a powder for a .308, but those who have messed with it have found it to be very accurate. 47 gr seems to be the most common load with 168 ish bullets. Apparently it’s impossible to stuff too much of it in the case, so have at it. :flipoff2: :

Last edited:
When I started loading for 6.5CM H4350 was the shit, but impossible to find so I developed a load with H4831sc and later RL16. Then when Varget disappeared H4350 came back, so I stocked up on it and RL16 which works well in the big temps swings we get here. this is for a buddy, and he never shoots past 1k unless he goes with me to my range, so speed isn't top priority. Another guy I shoot with uses Varget and is getting close to 2800 fls with 175 SMK's..

Prolly just exposing myself...

168 SMK
41 gr IMR-4895
CCI LRP

This is for my M1A NM.

Prolly just exposing myself...

168 SMK
41 gr IMR-4895
CCI LRP

This is for my M1A NM.
Is that a hot load?

The gun in question is a bolt gun, so velocity is going to be different for sure.

I've got enough Varget to load up some test loads, and when it becomes available again he can buy it himself and go to town.

Is that a hot load?

The gun in question is a bolt gun, so velocity is going to be different for sure.

I've got enough Varget to load up some test loads, and when it becomes available again he can buy it himself and go to town.
It might be considered kind of hot. It is near, but not quite, the max charge. Much less powder and the gun just won't cycle 100%, however. Needs a little spice for that.

It might be considered kind of hot. It is near, but not quite, the max charge. Much less powder and the gun just won't cycle 100%, however. Needs a little spice for that.
I get that. My 6ARC is a full grain below max, and I'm still getting slight ejector swipes. It just comes with the territory on some calibers.

There is a million page thread on Snipers Hide from 2007 to present and it looks like IMR 4895, Varget, and RE-15 have stood the test of time, with IMR 4064 & 8208 XBR, VV150 and even some mentions of BLC2 on the outside.

4895, 4064 and varget have been my .308 go to. Before the stupidity that has been 2020 and 2021, I could usually find at least one of those on the shelf at any local store.

8208 is fun too, but good luck finding that anywhere.

There is a million page thread on Snipers Hide from 2007 to present and it looks like IMR 4895, Varget, and RE-15 have stood the test of time, with IMR 4064 & 8208 XBR, VV150 and even some mentions of BLC2 on the outside.
I’ve used all those and they work, but looking at my log my most accurate was SMK 155’s with 42.3g of IMR 4320.

I like varget for 168's, my shooting buddy likes IMR 4895, 4064. Depends on what the rifle likes and what I have on hand.

1208191608b.jpg

I use my savage 308 as a hunting rifle. It always liked lighter bullets so I ended up going with 130grain barnes TTSX (CA has the non lead ammo regulation). Win 748 right in the middle of load range. I got it pretty dialed in after about 5 range trips, pretty confident with it to 300 yards

It's purdy, I've never seen another one, but had to have the handguars drilled and tapped for a pic rail, only had a sling stud previously

Top Back Refresh