What's new

Pawn shop tools vs. Harbor Fright???

billdacat

No road...no problem.
Member Number
Loc
Utah or bust!
I have to drill a dozen 1" holes for some post anchors. Poking around some pawn shops and found a big fucking hammer Bosch drill for $250. (looks a little hammered). I am thinking that a fucking Bauer 10 amp drill will last long enough to do this job and I can toss it in the trash when done. (actually might consider the extended warranty). Bauer $100 before coupon...Damm I hate fucking Chink junk! Ok maybe Kung Pao Chicken is ok.

Around here used pawn shop tools are priced the same as when new.:lmao:
They will not negotiate a lower price.

All the pawn shops around here want full retail for used stuff, so I'd say if you're considering dropping $250 look new. You could probably get a milwaukee, makita, dewalt for not much more than that (quick lowes/depot search is looking to start about 300ish for rotary/sds). Hell, you could get TWO of the HFs and if it blows up you take it back for a new one.

Around here used pawn shop tools are priced the same as when new.:lmao:
They will not negotiate a lower price.

Same here, our pawn shops suck. A bunch of beat to shit tools for almost full price. Fuck that.

I bought a HF hammer drill for 1 job where I had to move a shower drain in concrete. It did fine, performed flawlessly.

I have the HF SDS and as long as you use a heavy power cord and don't get it hot, it performs well. I have a 25 ft. 6 gauge extension cord(50 amps) and it runs the tool well. May be overkill, lol.

Don’t have experience with either, but what about just renting one?

I have the HF SDS and as long as you use a heavy power cord and don't get it hot, it performs well. I have a 25 ft. 6 gauge extension cord(50 amps) and it runs the tool well. May be overkill, lol.

You ever drilled through granite with it?

I never by stuff from pawn shops or even entertain them by visiting the store. They want full price for used stuff. Much better to buy new online.

a couple of years ago I stopped in a pawn shop to look around.

I found a nice simple ODB reader for like $30, I wanted a simple one so I negotiated it down to $20, felt pretty good about it.

I looked online later to see what I had, $20 brand new all over ebay for it

I think that about sums up buying tools at a pawn shop

I never by stuff from pawn shops or even entertain them by visiting the store. They want full price for used stuff. Much better to buy new online.

PLUS, it there is a pretty good chance the shit is stolen, so there is can be a moral component involved.

I was looking at a used shotgun in one of our local shops. I saw the same model in an ad (new) from Academy for quiet a bit cheaper. I showed the guy the ad, trying to get him to a more reasonable price, and he said "Someone will buy it at my price" and wouldn't budge.

PLUS, it there is a pretty good chance the shit is stolen, so there is can be a moral component involved.

I was looking at a used shotgun in one of our local shops. I saw the same model in an ad (new) from Academy for quiet a bit cheaper. I showed the guy the ad, trying to get him to a more reasonable price, and he said "Someone will buy it at my price" and wouldn't budge.

yup, sounds about right and doesn't surprise me.

I've often wondered how they stay in business. I bet most of them are laundering money from local drug traffic. I dunno. I just know I don't even consider pawn shops an option. To me, they don't really exist.

Buy the HF for a one time project, here in So Cal the local pawn shops suck. Somehow they think and end of life worn out beat to shit tool has patina or some shit.

We have a huge pawn shop about 40 mins away, it's an army surplus, pawn shop, jeep junk yard, pain ball course, and even a bad ass we rock course all on one property.

Sounds like redneck heaven? Except everything in there is priced at ridiculous prices. Last time I was in there, a few years ago, they had a fucking 26" TUBE TV for like $120 :homer:

You can get a pos 32" flat whatever for like $100 these days, why even waste your shelf space.

They have a huge out door section that just piled with junk, my work sent me there for pallet racking. After walking around in the 105* sun for 30 mins, we find what we want "oh I can't get to that, I'd have to move all this shit" :homer:

Ended up getting some stuff, but checked prices myself later (work just said go here to get it) and they were 90% of new, for old rusty shit that used to most obsolete style interlocks. Plus my wages to go fuck around with the guy.

They have also had a old ex military 5 ton wrecker listed for $30k for like 15 years, they want 15k for regular duece in a half. Even back when you could get one for damn near free.

Not sure what keeps this place in business, but it's not sales.

There's one up the street that has OK prices and will negotiate.

Picked up a pair of DeWalt angle grinders for $30 a piece and they're still going strong a couple years later. Figured it was worth a gamble because the $15 HF ones seem to die and or become excruciatingly noisy after a couple projects.

​​​​

There's one up the street that has OK prices and will negotiate.

Picked up a pair of DeWalt angle grinders for $30 a piece and they're still going strong a couple years later. Figured it was worth a gamble because the $15 HF ones seem to die and or become excruciatingly noisy after a couple projects.

​​​​

My HF grinder and impact are both from 2005 and still working. They don't make em like they used to. :laughing:

Last edited:
We have a huge pawn shop about 40 mins away, it's an army surplus, pawn shop, jeep junk yard, pain ball course, and even a bad ass we rock course all on one property.

Sounds like redneck heaven? Except everything in there is priced at ridiculous prices. Last time I was in there, a few years ago, they had a fucking 26" TUBE TV for like $120 :homer:

You can get a pos 32" flat whatever for like $100 these days, why even waste your shelf space.

They have a huge out door section that just piled with junk, my work sent me there for pallet racking. After walking around in the 105* sun for 30 mins, we find what we want "oh I can't get to that, I'd have to move all this shit" :homer:

Ended up getting some stuff, but checked prices myself later (work just said go here to get it) and they were 90% of new, for old rusty shit that used to most obsolete style interlocks. Plus my wages to go fuck around with the guy.

They have also had a old ex military 5 ton wrecker listed for $30k for like 15 years, they want 15k for regular duece in a half. Even back when you could get one for damn near free.

Not sure what keeps this place in business, but it's not sales.

Front for a drug business?

I had one of the old orange 4" grinders from around 2004. It sounded like the gears were lubricated with gravel but the stupid thing kept working. Probably still being used by the asshole who broke into my shop too. I replaced it with one of the newer bauer ones and it's a lot nicer.

Yeah both of mine are orange. I wouldn't know if they are making noises but they do work.

I bought the Bauer SDS hammer drill for removing tile for a bathroom reno, it worked great. 10/10 would buy again for homeowner type use.

We had a couple pretty good shops nearby. One shop I would go to about once a month and check things out. He always had a good tool selection. I asked him one day how it worked out since the tools he sold were cheap. He said selling the tools was just gravy and the main money was generated from interest payments.

I vote Harbor freight hammer drill for $79 and a 20% coupon. Get the job done before the 90 day warranty is up in case it doesn't make it. If you get yourself an sds Chuck adapter you can use it as a heavy drill/mixer too

just make sure you know what is available at places like Harbor Freight.. cuz you don't wanna buy harbor freight tools at the pawn shop..

hahahhaha

that would be messed up...

going to pawn shops is kinda old school.. if you ask me..

you could always take someone with you who has good internet reception, so you can check stuff out on the go..

I see lots of people do that at garage sales.. but there are not many of those right now..

I'd buy HF and forget pawn shops. I bought a 1/4" impact 4 years ago for $20 at HF. I needed it to do one job, and it did it flawlessly. Figured if it burnt up right after that job was done, no big deal. Well 4 years later I still have the thing and I use ot all the damn time.

Top Back Refresh