What's new

Paver substrate?

Pony_Driver

Red Skull Member
Member Number
What's your opinion on what to use as a flagstone base? I'm not looking for perfect interlocked joints, I just want to bed large, irregularly shaped flagstones into a mostly level plane.

Options are C33 concrete sand
CR-6
RC-6
Milled asphalt
Stone dust

and maybe a few other standard yard offerings.

If it matters I intend to compact it with a plate compactor and I will need it to be ~9" deep as fill & backing.

For concrete pavers, we use 4" of compacted #57's or 3/4" on top of undisturbed subgrade, then a 1-2" bedding course of clean #8's or #89. With an 80 mm paver, it will hold up to passenger vehicle traffic.

For concrete pavers, we use 4" of compacted #57's or 3/4" on top of undisturbed subgrade, then a 1-2" bedding course of clean #8's or #89. With an 80 mm paver, it will hold up to passenger vehicle traffic.

Good to know.

I had to build a retaining wall because I'm making a flat area off of a hill. The wall itself is constructed of 6x6s with 4 dead men, a 4x4 cross brace between dead men, all pinned with 3' of 1/2" rebar and 50+ feet of rebar holding it all together. It's retaining 10 tons of milled asphalt (I needed it for something else too) and I have 9" left to go to get to the level I want. I COULD level it off lower, but I don't want to. It will taper from ~4" of fill at the top to 28" at the deepest part of the bottom. For sake of being easy I could just order 10 more tons of millings, spread and compact them, then do a light layer of sand or stone dust set my flag stones in that.

I am trying to balance easy (one more order of material) with "right". This area is for a fire pit, it won't see vehicle traffic unless someone ran through the yard, around the house and between the trees.

As long as you compact the millings in lifts, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Ultimately the goal is to create a stable base. What it's made of is pretty much irrelevant.

Top Back Refresh