What's new

patty melt

arse_sidewards

Contrary to everything
Member Number
I just ate this tonight. I absolutely nailed the golden brown color and getting the patty solidly gray without burning the outside. I wish I had taken a picture.

Ingredients (makes two patty melts)
  • one thoroughly defrosted hamburger patty or equivalent portion, cheap shit is fine
  • dill pickles
  • 1/3 onion chopped as finely as you have patience for
  • four slices of american cheese
  • four slices of white bread
  • Worcestershire sauce or whatever you season your burgers with
  • Mustard, the normal yellow stuff, none of that fancy spiced shit.
  • Mayonnaise, margine or butter (whatever you put on a grilled cheese to keep it from sticking to the pan)
  • Random cast iron pan, sandwhich press, scrap brake rotor or other heavy object you don't mind putting on your food.
Set out some paper towels or something to let the onions dry on and then proceed to begin cooking the onions in oil

Throw the bread in the toaster on a light setting.

While the onions are cooking knead coarse bread crumbs (e.g. panko) into the defrosted patty until you've got a little less than a 50-50 ratio, make two large meat ball sized portions and press them into patties on whatever you use to cook burgers and begin cooking them like you would any other hamburger patty, I prefer low and slow.

The onions are probably getting done around this time so stick them on some paper towels.

Stick cheese on 2/4 of the toast slices, divide the onions evenly and heap those on.

When the burgers are done stick those on top of the onions.

Stick your pickles on top of the burgers

Throw a healthy portion of yellow (not brown or dijon, they don't go as well with the pickles) mustard on top of the pickles.

Slap on the cheese and the top bread slice

Apply a generous layer of mayo to the top bread slice (margarine or butter can be sub'd in but obviously don't spread as nicely)

Stick the sandwiches (mayo side down) on whatever you cooked the burgers on.

Stick your sandwich press or brake rotor on top.

Cook until golden brown, add mayo to the un-mayoed side, flip and cook until that side is golden brown (same process as cooking a grilled cheese).

2021-03-03.jpg

2021-03-03.jpg

Edit: Further refinement over the past two years has determined you need to use an airy wonderbread for it to come out right. The thicker white breads are pushing it and anything beyond that will not do. They don't compact properly under the sandwich press.

Last edited:
20210202_152052.jpg
This place made them excellent, back in 1970 or so.

Most like only that old fuck Gary will remember this place depending upon where he was raised.

This place was in a town called redlands

The Railroader Restaurant.

20210131_175814.jpg

Last edited:
who the hell eats a patty melt with american cheese on white bread? patty melt should be served on a nice dark marbled rye and have swiss cheese melted over the burger and grilled onions. if you must put a sauce on it, it should be just a bit of thousand island dressing

Best patty melt I ever had was in a dive truck stop called Boondocks on I-35 in Northern Iowa just north of Hwy 20

been there done that. Not worth the effort for how infrequently I cook bacon
You can buy it already ready already in a jar.

Bacon up!

Not quite as good as the real deal as its filtered and whatnot, but its still pretty damn good.

I love a good patty melt.

Our local has one as described above with rye/swiss, but their spotty on the consistency.

Still pretty good regardless of how it comes.

Last edited:
Nope, Farrell's patty melt, burger, grilled onions, Rye bread, 2 thick slices of Swiss, liberal swipe of thousand islands. served with Fries a pickle slice, a piece of endive ans a carrot slice.
Farrell's was Fabulous fun.:flipoff2:

Nope, Farrell's patty melt, burger, grilled onions, Rye bread, 2 thick slices of Swiss, liberal swipe of thousand islands. served with Fries a pickle slice, a piece of endive ans a carrot slice.
Worked there hauling the ice cream trolley around back in mid 1970's.

Sorry, I dont take my culinary cues from an icecream shop.

Endive and carrot.:lmao:

Worked there hauling the ice cream trolley around back in mid 1970's.
Yep, worked there for 3 years during high school, the goofy hat paid my car insurance and my Horses board.:smokin:

Reactions: PAE
i use Best Foods Mayo for toasting the Italian Bread for a Patty Melt
less greasy than butter turns a golden brown bacon grease is way to soggy and greasy
that chit is fine for making Gravy or baking Brussel Sprouts
Patty Melt
I use Havarti and American cheese and Sweet Onion that has been grilled

Top Back Refresh