What's new

Patey's Scrappy

What did he do to make that kind of money?

I always wonder which of his 20 businesses actually worked out, too. He had a very large deck-building company when he was a kid, then at some point he had an oilfield service company that dealt with wastewater, he had an engineering firm, he’s got the airplane tug thing, and surely the YouTube bit is paying something at this point. But I don’t know what gave him enough to have 10 planes and a giant hanger that’s also a shop.

I always wonder which of his 20 businesses actually worked out, too. He had a very large deck-building company when he was a kid, then at some point he had an oilfield service company that dealt with wastewater, he had an engineering firm, he’s got the airplane tug thing, and surely the YouTube bit is paying something at this point. But I don’t know what gave him enough to have 10 planes and a giant hanger that’s also a shop.

Did you catch the video where he started out talking about a customer who wan't happy with his tug, turned out youtube was advertising someone elses tugs during his videos, and the guy thought it was his company. As soon as Patey figured out what had happened he sent the guy one of his tugs, and now advertises on his videos

Neat. I made some wheel chocks for his Draco plane before he wrecked it.

82250683_2559548964261140_3373081389439123456_n.jpg

Here is my Scrappyesque suspension I put on an RC forever ago. The field I was flying out of was so rough I couldn't take off. TT style to the rescue. I would've taken a pic of the front too but it couldn't take the baja type pounding I put it through. This was kinda my Scrappy cause everytime I fixed it I would use scraps of covering. Theres about a dozen colors on it.
Picture0613201409_1.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Picture0613201409_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.8 KB ID:	40084

Last edited:
He builds plenty. At first I kind of thought he was a boob just flexing his wallet. But the more I watched I see he has some serious fab skill and brains.

He builds plenty. At first I kind of thought he was a boob just flexing his wallet. But the more I watched I see he has some serious fab skill and brains.

I met him at reno last year.

seemed like a genuinely nice guy.
told me to go reach into draco to get some stickers.

When he crashed Draco he was right up front and said it was his fault, man had tears in his eyes not for the plane but because his wife was flying with him.
I got in a conversation with her told her she must have the staying power of a marathoner to keep up with him, she said "she just waits till he slows down!"

To have the fab skills, steel, composite, paint and design skills he has is pretty rare.

A lot of guys can do one or two disciplines but to have a good grasp on ALL of them is amazing.

I would like to see more on the engine, fuel system, electronics etc., redundancies etc.

When he crashed Draco he was right up front and said it was his fault, man had tears in his eyes not for the plane but because his wife was flying with him.
I got in a conversation with her told her she must have the staying power of a marathoner to keep up with him, she said "she just waits till he slows down!"

lol, whens that?

lol, whens that?
The crash of Draco Sept 16, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJmtTNqXB64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfctWAoDXvs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyWnKj0r79E

Charlie2 weeks ago
Mrs. Patey must have the endurance of a marathon runner to keep up with Mike2REPLY

Hide 3 replies

Chandra SlyFox Patey2 weeks ago
Charlie I just let him run circles around me until he pooters out. 😂1REPLY

Charlie2 weeks ago
@Chandra SlyFox Patey I figured that every couple of days you hit him with a tranquilizer so you and the kids could get some rest1REPLY

Chandra SlyFox Patey2 weeks ago
Charlie 😂😂😂

Such attention to detail.

Totally. That said, there seems like a few spots (oil cooler plenum for example) where the carbon appears to be touching the airframe and it's not isolated for corrosion like the fuselage fastener tabs.

Perhaps they're not touching, or he just neglected to mention it (he admitted he does that).

Regardless, his work is just awesome to watch.

Top Back Refresh