What's new

Parler sues Amazon over Web shutdown, alleges political animus

nahmus

Refugee from syrup
Member Number
Loc
East Coast
I agree. Amazon's complaints are so hypocritical it's sad. If you didn't think big tech has too much power then I hope the last few days opened your eyes.

(Reuters) - Parler LLC, a social media platform favored by many supporters of U.S. President Donald Trump, sued Amazon.com Inc on Monday, accusing it of making an illegal, politically motivated decision to shut it down to benefit Twitter Inc.

In an antitrust complaint filed with the U.S. District Court in Seattle, Parler said Amazon delivered a "death blow" by abruptly cutting off Web-hosting services on Sunday night, soon after Apple Inc and Alphabet Inc's Google removed the Parler app from their own app stores.

Parler accused Amazon Web Services of hypocrisy for expressing a lack of confidence it could properly police its platform, including by removing content encouraging violence.

It said Amazon did this despite making no threats to suspend Twitter, where a recent top-trending tweet demanded to "Hang Mike Pence," the U.S. vice president.

"AWS false claims have made Parler a pariah," and the web services cutoff "is the equivalent of pulling the plug on a hospital patient on life support," the complaint said.

Amazon did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Twitter declined to comment. Parler was not immediately available for comment.

Parler wants a court order requiring Amazon to reinstate its account and provide services it had contracted for.

It is also seeking triple damages, saying it had over 12 million users and stood to lose millions more as conservatives encourage their Twitter followers to switch to Parler.

Twitter permanently suspended Trump's personal account, @realDonaldTrump, on Friday night, citing the "risk of further incitement of violence."

That suspension came two days after the U.S. Capitol was stormed by a mob of Trump supporters, whose conduct Twitter said Trump appeared to condone.

The Republican president had earlier asked Pence to overturn Democrat Joe Biden's victory in the Nov. 3 presidential election at a joint session of Congress. Pence did not, and Congress confirmed Biden's win.

If you rely on the public cloud then you are subject to their terms, sadly enough. Host your own datacenter :D

"It’s clear that Parler does not have an effective process to comply with the AWS terms of service," the email reads. "Because Parler cannot comply with our terms of service and poses a very real risk to public safety, we plan to suspend Parler’s account effective Sunday, January 10th, at 11:59PM PST."

Selective enforcement of the rules is really bad. I believe that they are trying to find another host. The left is just steamrolling ahead with their narrative and nobody is stopping them, It's a very frightening time for free speech.

Good. I believe Twatter has set themselves up similarly for elective enforcement of the rule given that the head iranian and Farakan still have active accounts. Might as well throw anti-trust and RICO in there as well since they seem to have colluded.

Selective enforcement of the rules is really bad. I believe that they are trying to find another host. The left is just steamrolling ahead with their narrative and nobody is stopping them, It's a very frightening time for free speech.

This. 100% this. Free speech is doomed.

Thank God for Irate. :usa:

unless this is run out of Austin's basement with a proprietary connect to the interwebs, it's at risk. If AWS, etc get away with this, then it'll be only the first domino to fall.

This. 100% this. Free speech is doomed.

unless the government is complicit, one could argue this isn't a free speech case.

But then one would have to recant any previous speech suits - like bakers.

Anti trust seems like a perfectly viable claim. There should be many more suits filed against big tech.

If the baker can be sued for violating gay rights then big tech should be held liable for violating free speech.

But unless Irate is hosted on its own infrastructure A-Z, it is subject to the same thing potentially...

I dont do much with Facebook anymore, nothing with Twitter, and very little with Instagram. I gave found gab.com which is a social media site that is hosted on its own infrastructure to avoid being shut down by the big tech companies who squash free speech. So far I like it. Its a little slow due to an influx of sign-ups lately though.

I dont do much with Facebook anymore, nothing with Twitter, and very little with Instagram. I gave found gab.com which is a social media site that is hosted on its own infrastructure to avoid being shut down by the big tech companies who squash free speech. So far I like it. Its a little slow due to an influx of sign-ups lately though.

Gab is better protected than most, but its still going to rely on several layers of third party services to exist. ATT, Verizon and Comcast could just decide their users don't need access to it and 75% of Americans would lose the ability to connect overnight.

Gab is better protected than most, but its still going to rely on several layers of third party services to exist. ATT, Verizon and Comcast could just decide their users don't need access to it and 75% of Americans would lose the ability to connect overnight.

Yup. My home internet is the att cellular. Seeing their willingness to let 3 letter agencies scoop up data, I am switching to starlink as soon as it is available.

We need to start pushing for companies to lose their section 230 protections if they aggressively moderate content.

We need to start pushing for companies to lose their section 230 protections if they aggressively moderate content.

You do realize since we boot the trolls here then that that means irate would be a publisher without 230. I think antitrust is a far better way to go. They are too big and too powerful, need to be broken up.

unless the government is complicit, one could argue this isn't a free speech case.

But then one would have to recant any previous speech suits - like bakers.

Been turning this one over in my head. Social media seems to be doing exactly what those poor bakers got dragged for. What's the difference?:confused:

Been turning this one over in my head. Social media seems to be doing exactly what those poor bakers got dragged for. What's the difference?:confused:

At what point do they become the arbiters of truth rather than a host. It's not just news that is affected. A HUGE amount of personal online communication is run through them. To me this is like AT&T deciding that any phone conversation that includes a conspiracy theory will be dropped mid communication.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/parle...dium=email&utm_campaign=breaking-2021-01-16-2

Parler CEO John Matze, Family Forced Into Hiding Due to Death Threats, Security Breaches: Filing

BY ZACHARY STIEBER

January 16, 2021 Updated: January 16, 2021
biggersmaller
Print
Parler’s CEO has gone into hiding with his family after receiving death threats, according to a new court filing.

CEO John Matze “has had to leave his home and go into hiding with his family after receiving death threats and invasive personal security breaches,” the filing in Parler v. Amazon states.

Parler sued Amazon Web Services (AWS) after the company refused to continue working with the social media company. Parler went offline on Monday as a result and continues to be offline.

Amazon asked the court on Tuesday to redact names, job titles, and descriptions from court documents.

“Redaction of the employee identifying information is necessary to protect their safety and security and to prevent potential harassment,” Amazon said. “These employees’ safety concerns are well-founded in light of significant and repeated threats of physical violence against AWS, its facilities, and its employees in the wake of AWS’s decision to suspend its cloud hosting agreement with Parler.”

The motion included screenshots of posts that appeared to be from Parler in which users threatened to carry out violence against Amazon workers, executives, and facilities.

District Judge Barbara Rothstein, a Carter nominee, granted the motion. She said AWS and its employees “have demonstrated a well-founded concern for the safety and security of their employees based on threatening and violent content.”

In Parler’s new filing, lawyers said the company’s employees have been harassed and threatened. “Many Parler employees are suffering harassment and hostility, fear for their safety and that of their families, and in some cases have fled their home state to escape persecution,” Parler said, before noting that Matze himself has gone into hiding.

“Recognizing the highly charged nature of this public and polarizing dispute, Parler wishes to protect the privacy of those employees, whether of Parler or Amazon, whose names or personal information appear in documents on which Parler relies,” the filing stated.

Matze told Fox News this week that he’s been targeted by a hacker group called UGNazi.

“They published my street address, they threatened to come through my front door,” he said.

The group didn’t respond to an inquiry.

Matze said he and his family went into hiding and weren’t sure when they’d return home.

“It’s probably leveled me out,” Matze said. “If I was at home right now I think my stress levels would have been like three times higher… at least there is that saving grace.”

Because liberal alphabet groups insist on special treatment, not equal treatment, and big corporations and the courts cater to their bitch asses

Fuck Amazon. I've gotten way too comfortable ordering everything on Amazon. I'm going to deny them my money as long as possible, maybe forever. Not like they'll notice, but at least I won't contributing to the big tech beast. Plus you can often find prices better than Amazon if you take the time to look around elsewhere.

Found this online, if this is requirements then I really question then coming back soon.
Er5WmBxXUAEpICW.jpeg

Top Back Refresh