What's new

park ranger kills unarmed man for speeding

evernoob

Reactionary
Member Number
Thats fucked..... Not sure what else to say.

Happened in March, why are we just hearing about it?

Because it's just now getting legal attention. It's been six months and still no charges from the DA, and no missing 26 seconds, so now it's a news story.

dntsdad

Central California
Member Number
Loc
Central California
Honestly, the kid seems like a smug punk in the video. That said, the ranger seems like a prick as well.

I honestly have met ONE ranger, sheriff, etc in mountain areas that were somewhat cool. The others act like you are encroaching on their personal property. I avoid at all cost.

If he would have turned around and followed orders, this would have been a drinking story and nothing more it seems. He escalated it by refusing to turn around

It is a crazy "coincidence" that the cam went out at the time it did. :rolleyes:

I honestly don't see any issue with the kid getting tazed. He refused to comply. I guess the officer could have just wrapped him up and forced him to comply physically, but why do that when you can tazer him? I have no idea what policy is in that situation but you cant have the kid say no and officer says "oh ok.. take care then" and drive away.

In the beginning of the video officer asked if those were his friends over there so there were witnesses I would assume, and it is a little odd the DA says there MAY be more video footage now. There either is or there isn't in 6 months of an officer involved shooting.

When do we riot??

vikingsven

No Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
NorthBay
Did the kid ask the Ranger to pull his gun instead of the tazer? "Come on, be real with me...the other one." Did I hear that right?

SLOWPOKE693

🖕TROUBLES🖕
race
Member Number
Loc
Somewhere in Texas
Did the kid ask the Ranger to pull his gun instead of the tazer? "Come on, be real with me...the other one." Did I hear that right?

Even if that's the case, the Ranger should have known better than to play that game with him.. Kid was unarmed and the tazer should have been more than enough for the fat ass to get the skinny kid on the ground.

The missing 26 seconds ov video and the way the Ranger acted after the shooting is what im questioning.

idahojeep

rambling
Member Number
Stupidness all around in that video. Why 26 seconds are missing is weird. Kid was a punk though.

Scott Cee aka 2drx4

Taste the butwhole
Member Number
Loc
The middle of BC, Canada
The missing 26 seconds ov video and the way the Ranger acted after the shooting is what im questioning.

The missing video is the big thing. Did EMF from the taser disable his camera? I doubt it. They're covering for him.

His actions after the shooting likely were the result of shock. He's overweight, undertrained, and like has never fired his handgun while on duty. It's surprising he didn't keel over from a heart attack.

I don't know what the is trained in the US or by the parks service, but a taser is a "less lethal" weapon, not "less than lethal" as the media often reports. The ranger escalated force prematurely based on that.

Paragon

Member #42 if by Bus
Member Number
Loc
Jackson, MS USA
was it articulated that he was being arrested. why was there so much "down" time where no instruction was given

"turn around" WTF is that?

escalating a situation with a tazer and then using the lack of effect of such, to justify shooting someone with a lethal weapon should remove any sort of personal protections from the ranger.

Provience

Kill!
Member Number
Loc
Gatesville, TX
Even if that's the case, the Ranger should have known better than to play that game with him.. Kid was unarmed and the tazer should have been more than enough for the fat ass to get the skinny kid on the ground.

it's just nuts that stopping somebody for speeding ever escalates to needing a taser. was he drunk? why was he out of his vehicle anyways?

idahojeep

rambling
Member Number
was it articulated that he was being arrested. why was there so much "down" time where no instruction was given

"turn around" WTF is that?

escalating a situation with a tazer and then using the lack of effect of such, to justify shooting someone with a lethal weapon should remove any sort of personal protections from the ranger.

It sure seemed like the ranger had no idea how to handle someone not complying. But how the hell did speeding turn into such a confrontation anyway? You have to be able to handle a relatively benign situation without being a dick.

Last edited:

Paragon

Member #42 if by Bus
Member Number
Loc
Jackson, MS USA
It sure seemed like the ranger had no idea how to handle someone not complying.

well, I'm not sure he was actually not complying with any sort of lawful order. Of course, in fatty ranger's opinion, he was assuredly not complying

Scott Cee aka 2drx4

Taste the butwhole
Member Number
Loc
The middle of BC, Canada
Yes sir, is all he needed to say to still be alive. Everyone involved made lots of mistakes.

I feel it's likely that the ranger did not deserve to be called sir.

He likely was intending to arrest him over a minor traffic infraction. It's a predatory move that is common in some police departments and definitely amongst the lower tier law enforcement agencies. They make what is essentially an unlawful arrest, have the vehicle towed and impounded, then do not press charges at or near the 24 hour period, and instead issue the traffic citation. The victim is then left with a wasted day/night by being arrested, the tow and impound fees, plus the original traffic infraction. It's to "teach people to obey the police" and it's bullshit. That said, you are right, if he just went along with it he'd be alive and could fight the arrest, fees, and even the citation. As to the likelihood of getting anywhere with that, well, it's really low. There's a reason why a lot of people hate LEOs, and it isn't entirely because white guilt liberals love jumping all over black dindonuffin cases, it is because there is actual problems with some LEOs abusing their power in some circumstances.

junkytj

Sarcastic Asshole
Member Number
Loc
NW AR
Was the kid acting intelligently? Probably not.

Does that authorize the park ranger to execute him? Definitely not. People do dumb shit daily and I'm not really interested in that.

What I take great issue with is the unequal enforcement of laws. This creates an us vs them mentality on both sides because there is a difference in treatment.

Let's say I have a surveillance system on my home. It captures me confronting a burglar who gives himself up and willing to wait for my government arresting agency. I ask him to do something and he doesn't comply, just continues to stand there. If I give him the bum's rush and draw my weapon and kill him, I'm pretty sure I'm going to jail that night and will be preparing for court while out on bond. Why is a park ranger treated differently? What is in the law that allows for that? If my surveillance is compromised during the key activity, my fault or not that would be extremely suspicious and play into the investigation heavily not delay it for 6 months while I continued to live off of tax dollars and further prepare my defense.

idahojeep

rambling
Member Number

He likely was intending to arrest him over a minor traffic infraction. It's a predatory move that is common in some police departments and definitely amongst the lower tier law enforcement agencies. They make what is essentially an unlawful arrest, have the vehicle towed and impounded, then do not press charges at or near the 24 hour period, and instead issue the traffic citation. The victim is then left with a wasted day/night by being arrested, the tow and impound fees, plus the original traffic infraction. It's to "teach people to obey the police" and it's bullshit. That said, you are right, if he just went along with it he'd be alive and could fight the arrest, fees, and even the citation. As to the likelihood of getting anywhere with that, well, it's really low. There's a reason why a lot of people hate LEOs, and it isn't entirely because white guilt liberals love jumping all over black dindonuffin cases, it is because there is actual problems with some LEOs abusing their power in some circumstances.

Badge heavy cops are an effing problem and can be dangerous to people who have to work with them.

Provience

Kill!
Member Number
Loc
Gatesville, TX

mind if i use your quote on the facespace? just for a topic of discussion, don't worry, it certainly won't go viral :laughing:

45acp

naw man
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
Texarkana
I am absolutely shocked the killy murdery part of the body cam footage has magically been lost. This never happens. :clutches fucking pearls: