What's new

Paperwork for buying used equipment?

Projectjunkie

Whatever
Member Number
Loc
Tucson Az
Looking for a piece of equipment to start improving some land I bought.

I don't want to shell out some cash and wind up with something stolen

or, can a 15 year old skid steer have a lien against it?

How's that shit work?

lol you buy stuff from a private party is a roll of the dice. When I buy from a private guy I play fbi interrogator. I ask where he got it from the history ect right when I get there. I then start Bullshitting with him about something stupid weather hunting ect. Once we start having a good off topic conversation I toss in another question about it’s history to see the reaction. If he can repeat the story without missing a beat more than likely he is telling the truth.

Equipment is tough as there are no titles no places to call to see if their are Liens ect. You buy it from a quality dealership you shouldn’t have to worry. Good luck post pictures!

Know a guy who bought a couple of tractors that later got taken away. Turns out, a father and son had been stealing them around Houston, and selling them a few hours away. He never checked into their origin, so he was SOL when the sheriff came.

Well shit. Some online searching says to call local PD to have them run serial numbers. I could also establish a paper trail with a small portion of the sale in a certified check.

the one currently on deck is a low hour but likely abused older skid steer that smokes and is missing it's bucket, if it's what the guy says it is, (good hydraulics, neglected engine) i can use it for the couple hours a week I need it then rebuild the engine when convenient for me. FWIW I think i can get it around 4500 where comparables are 12000.

I wanted a backhoe for an upcoming septic system, but I think I can borrow one for that, and a skid steer is something I could load up and make some money with versus having my money tied up in a big ass backhoe that I can't easily or legally transport

The only other thing I have done was get the serial number and call the dealership to get the service history for it. The dealerships may have a stolen list of vin numbers.

I want to send you a PM but I dunno how lol

Call My wife...SHE does this shit:laughing: Seriously!

But call me first or send a message and I'll give you her number.

707 324 9710

She likes helpin the peeps:grinpimp:

But call me first or send a message and I'll give you her number.

707 324 9710

If it's easier, I can just post her number here for you. :flipoff2:

HA HA

IT's possible that if you have been in a legal snit you may actually have it:laughing:

Depends on what it is or its value. A 15 year old piece of equipment can definitely have a lein on it. Occasionally I'll ask for a hand written bill of sale or for a picture of an ID but 9x out of 10 its sitting at an old ranch and the person selling it seems totally legit. I get the feeling most scammers dont want you at thier family's property

I'm not sure if I should beer you for helping me out, or the double flipoff2 for the Rick roll I'm about to get:laughing:

When I bought my backhoe I had this very concern, esp since it was listed for $2,500. Guy had the bill of sale (from an equipment place) from when he bought it for $4,000 a year before- which he provided to me, plus I had him sign a bill of sale signing it over to me. I would be livid if the police showed up and told me I had to return it to a 'rightful' owner.... ok give me a day or so to put it back to how I got it.....

I'm not sure if I should beer you for helping me out, or the double flipoff2 for the Rick roll I'm about to get:laughing:

Ill pass your information along...If you want help you want help.

If not that that's fine.

But I wont be giving her number out just like that:flipoff2:

When I bought my backhoe I had this very concern, esp since it was listed for $2,500. Guy had the bill of sale (from an equipment place) from when he bought it for $4,000 a year before- which he provided to me, plus I had him sign a bill of sale signing it over to me. I would be livid if the police showed up and told me I had to return it to a 'rightful' owner.... ok give me a day or so to put it back to how I got it.....

Good call on asking about his purchase paperwork

I occasionally take a firearm on a trade, I tell the guy right off I need a handwritten bill of sale written on a photo copy of his ID, if he flakes later in the deal, I don't push it.

Top Back Refresh