What's new

outside front trailer tire wear?

Chief Rocka

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
East Coast
Got an equipment trailer that is eating the outside edge of the front DS tire. Other tires seem to be wearing fine.
Any ideas on what could be causing this or how to correct it are appreciated. TIA
1670288291200.png

Trailer:
-'09 Brimar EH16'-12k

Tires:
-Mastertrack UN-203 Steel Belted ST 235/80R16 124/120Q E 10 Ply
-Purchased from Walmart, Jan '21, less than 5k miles towing junk in pic below

1670288247698.png

Has it ate more than one tire?

Original tire on my trailer made it from NY to AK. Then suddenly about 1/3 of the way through my AK to VA move I noticed a tire looking like that. Happened over the course of 1 day.

Replaced the tire and the new one has been fine. I assume it was just a shitty tire.

Bent axle in which way? I had this on a trailer, and couldn’t really figure it out logically. If the axle was bent in the normal way (from overloading or a hard pothole hit), the inside of the tire should wear, not the outside. To me, this speaks of a toe-in problem or a high positive camber. I can’t figure out how that would happen on a trailer.

Has it ate more than one tire?

Original tire on my trailer made it from NY to AK. Then suddenly about 1/3 of the way through my AK to VA move I noticed a tire looking like that. Happened over the course of 1 day.

Replaced the tire and the new one has been fine. I assume it was just a shitty tire.
Yes. The pic is the 1st tire and it's happening to the 2nd currently. Just got back from a 1500mi trip to Windrock and 400mi trip to Rausch. I'm in NY, on the east side of the Hudson, so typical potholes everywhere.

Maybe I should step up to a LRG tire and not buy them from Walmart again!

Bent axle in which way? I had this on a trailer, and couldn’t really figure it out logically. If the axle was bent in the normal way (from overloading or a hard pothole hit), the inside of the tire should wear, not the outside. To me, this speaks of a toe-in problem or a high positive camber. I can’t figure out how that would happen on a trailer.
This is kinda where I'm at diagnosing. I don't understand why it's only one tire on the same axle... not sure how to measure/check if axle/spindle is bent.

I had a one year old trailer do similar and I was able to get the trailer aligned at an old school alignment shop. My neighbor swears by trailer alignments on his construction fleet.

On a leaf sprung trailer I'm sure it was: measure, heat and bend things straight, then remeasure.

If you want to measure at home, run a string across both tires. If there's a gap against the sidewall it's a toe issue. Then toss a level with spacer against the wheel and compare against normal wearing tire. Can also run a tape measure from center of wheel to center of wheel and compare sides to get an idea if one axle has shifted.

If that spindle is bent backwards (hit a big pothole or other object in the road under load), the outside part of the tire would trail and scrub. Could be bent axle or spindle, could be a broken spring pin if leafs.

Could be just a bad tire, but if it happens with different tires in that same spot, it's bent.

I had a one year old trailer do similar and I was able to get the trailer aligned at an old school alignment shop. My neighbor swears by trailer alignments on his construction fleet.

On a leaf sprung trailer I'm sure it was: measure, heat and bend things straight, then remeasure.

If you want to measure at home, run a string across both tires. If there's a gap against the sidewall it's a toe issue. Then toss a level with spacer against the wheel and compare against normal wearing tire. Can also run a tape measure from center of wheel to center of wheel and compare sides to get an idea if one axle has shifted.
Crap!
Ran a string across tires. Rear of front tire (problem) touches string. 3/8-1/2" gap btwn string and front of rear tire.

Measured hub center to center, PS is 36.25" and DS 36.625"

1670353388220.png

1670353430751.png

Crap!
Ran a string across tires. Rear of front tire (problem) touches string. 3/8-1/2" gap btwn string and front of rear tire.

Measured hub center to center, PS is 36.25" and DS 36.625"

1670353388220.png

1670353430751.png
Now go drive a couple figure 8s in both directions and attempt to come to a stop after driving a stright line. Measure again to confirm.

Spring axle? I can't tell from the pic. My boat trailer did that to a brand new set of tires coming back from Phoenix. (Just the one) Every bushing in the thing was slap wore out and one of the hangers was so bad (the bad tire corner) that it had worn almost all the way thru the hanger. Before you blame the axle being bent give it a good look over. I got all new greaseable brass inserts for the springs, new center pivots from etrailer.com and had to weld up the one hanger. You could not tell they were worn since they have a washer on the outside. And the really worn hanger was on the inside. Once I had it jacked up you would think they were attached with a slinky. LOL

1670424001862.png

This one wore thru the hanger so far it was resting on the frame. :eek: See back top of spring.
1670424201408.png

Spring axle? I can't tell from the pic. My boat trailer did that to a brand new set of tires coming back from Phoenix. (Just the one) Every bushing in the thing was slap wore out and one of the hangers was so bad (the bad tire corner) that it had worn almost all the way thru the hanger. Before you blame the axle being bent give it a good look over. I got all new greaseable brass inserts for the springs, new center pivots from etrailer.com and had to weld up the one hanger. You could not tell they were worn since they have a washer on the outside. And the really worn hanger was on the inside. Once I had it jacked up you would think they were attached with a slinky. LOL

1670424001862.png

This one wore thru the hanger so far it was resting on the frame. :eek: See back top of spring.
1670424201408.png
I had a similar situation on my toy hauler but it was the inside edge of the left rear tire. While I was upgrading all the worn out poly bushings I found the spring center pin had broken and the axle was shifted.
You might verify the center to center dimension on each axle.

I had a similar situation on my toy hauler but it was the inside edge of the left rear tire. While I was upgrading all the worn out poly bushings I found the spring center pin had broken and the axle was shifted.
You might verify the center to center dimension on each axle.
I have never had good luck with the poly bushings. I think it's the cold weather here that kills them. Every trailer I have owned spits them out after a few years. I get these and I think they will seriously last forever with proper maintenance. The thicker shackles really helps to not wear out the bolts.

5th bolt from the left is what most of mine looked like.

1670431190421.png

I have never had good luck with the poly bushings. I think it's the cold weather here that kills them. Every trailer I have owned spits them out after a few years. I get these and I think they will seriously last forever with proper maintenance. The thicker shackles really helps to not wear out the bolts.

1670431190421.png
Yeah exactly almost like a once a year job.
I put that shackle kit on my toy hauler, probably a once and done with annual 5% moly greasing.

Throw a big single axle with slippers in there and never worry about that shit again. :stirthepot:

Cool. That's a nice kit.

I''ve gotta ask. Those links are galvanized steel right? They look aluminum, but gotta be steel.

Spring axle? I can't tell from the pic.
Yes sir.
1670465521213.png
Going to pull it apart tomorrow and reach out to chk on hardware with brass sleeves. The whole process is a PIA since I don't have a lot of space, the jeep gets stored on the trailer.

Got the DS side apart today. The spring and hangers look like they are in good shape.
1670533980133.png

The bolts, EQ, and what was left of the bushings is another story. 1670534027177.png 1670534089932.png

1670534113058.png Upon closer inspection, the PS front tire was showing outside edge wear, hoping the new parts will tighten everything up and an axle/spindle is not bent. Parts from trailerparts.com on the way.

Should the equalizer have a bushing if it's a wet bolt or does it just use grease to lube?

Should the equalizer have a bushing if it's a wet bolt or does it just use grease to lube?
Mine old and new had a bushing everywhere there was a bolt. Steel on steel even with grease is a wear item. I assume they hope it gets caught so you only have to replace the bushing not all of it. I don't know who gets that option but I like the idea. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh