What's new

Oscar-winning composer Ennio Morricone dead at 91

bigun

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Mountainair, NM
https://news.yahoo.com/oscar-winning-composer-ennio-morricone-dead-91-083845169.html

Rome (AFP) - Ennio Morricone, one of the world's best-known and most prolific film composers, died in Rome on Monday at the age of 91.

Tributes poured in for the man who composed the music for about 500 films, including his old childhood friend Sergio Leone's 1966 spaghetti western "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" and Quentin Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight" for which he finally won an Oscar in 2016.

Morricone died in hospital where he was being treated for a fractured femur following a fall, according to a statement from lawyer and family friend Giorgio Assuma.

Morricone "passed away in the early hours of July 6 with the comfort of his faith", the statement said.

He remained "fully lucid and with great dignity right until the end," it added.

- 'He made us dream' -

Tributes began pouring in for the maestro soon after his death was announced.

"We will remember forever and with infinite gratitude the artistic genius of maestro Ennio Morricone," Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said.

"He made us dream, he moved us and made us think, writing unforgettable notes that will remain forever in the history of music and cinema," he said on Twitter.

Italian film actress Monica Bellucci said of Morricone that "there are people who have the ability to make the world better because they know how to create beauty," while Gilles Jacob, the former head of the Cannes film festival, described him as the "emperor" of film music.

Famed Italian conductor Riccardo Muti called Morricone "a master for whom I nurtured friendship and admiration," describing him as an "extraordinary musician" who could jump with ease from film scores to classical music.

- Elusive Oscar -

Born on November 10, 1928, Morricone began composing at the tender age of six, and at just 10 he enrolled in trumpet school at the prestigious Saint-Cecilia conservatory in Rome.

He played in jazz bands throughout the 1940s before beginning to ghost write for film and theatre.

In 1961, at the age of 33, he collaborated with director Luciano Salce in "Mission Ultra-secrete" before going on to gain fame with the score for "A Fistful of Dollars" starring Clint Eastwood in 1964.

Before winning the elusive Oscar for best film score at age 87 in 2016, the Rome-born son of a trumpeter had been nominated no fewer than five times. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences -- embarrassed that such a talent had not been recognised sooner -- presented him with a lifetime achievement award in 2007.

Morricone's previous nominations were for "Days of Heaven" (1978), "The Mission" (1986), "The Untouchables" (1987), "Bugsy" (1991) and "Malena" (2000).

Although he is most closely associated in the public mind with Leone's westerns starring Eastwood, Morricone's composition for Roland Joffe's Jesuit drama "The Mission" is considered by many critics to be his cinematic masterpiece, an epic and eclectic reflection of South America's musical melting pot.

Throughout his career, Morricone worked with some of Hollywood's most acclaimed filmmakers as well as arthouse directors. After his collaboration with Leone, he worked with Italian screen legends Federico Fellini and Pier Paolo Pasolini and later with the likes of Pedro Almodovar, Bernardo Bertolucci, Brian De Palma and Oliver Stone.

Fist full of Dollars sound track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7z6zRbGhfg

He also did the soundtrack for The Thing, which is one of the best horror film soundtracks of all time (I think the best). It perfectly builds tension w/o being obnoxious.

2:07 This website needs to start on the timestamp, Austin

Morricone was criticized fairly harshly for this soundtrack, and like the film, it has gone on to be not just a 'cult classic', but perennially popular.

Remember Camp, the guy who posted on PBB from Antarctica? They play The Thing and The Shining after the last winter plane out.

I think The Thing is one of the finest films ever made, period, and the soundtrack is no small part of that.

It's done on a synthesizer in 1980/81. People who love the John Williams orthodoxy (and John Williams IS a great, no doubt) had issue with Morricone using a machine. This also led to large numbers of really fine musicians being put out of work as Hollywood switched to more and more synthetic, non-orchestral music. I can see both sides, it's a shame that we don't have orchestral soundtracks anymore, but The Thing's soundtrack is so good...

The soundtrack was also cited by Gregory Alper and Jeehun Hwang, who composed the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack, my favorite of all video games (vidya is literally the largest media in the world by money, so no one can make the charge anymore that it's not high culture). The MW2 soundtrack is so perfectly fitting for the game, and it was a breakthrough in the Video Game industry at the time.

Give it a second to kick in... Morricone inspired that. Excellent soundtrack.

Rogue Chariot is the best one maybe, or Umber Wall

RIP Morricone.

Last edited:
Just noiticed He and I shared a Birthday, granted he was a few years older, of course the Marines are older!

Just noiticed He and I shared a Birthday, granted he was a few years older, of course the Marines are older!

How did the Gyrenes get into this? Jarhead birthday is Nov 10.

How did the Gyrenes get into this? Jarhead birthday is Nov 10.

Come on Skippy learn to read before you start spouting off

Born on November 10, 1928, Morricone began composing at the tender age of six, and at just 10 he enrolled in trumpet school at the prestigious Saint-Cecilia conservatory in Rome.

Come on Skippy learn to read before you start spouting off

and at just 10 he enrolled in trumpet school at the prestigious Saint-Cecilia conservatory in Rome.

I know Marines love to blow trumpets, they were always begging to blow mine, felt kind of bad turning them down, but you're saying he learned trumpeting in the Marines? I didn't get that from the sentence.

I know Marines love to blow trumpets, they were always begging to blow mine, felt kind of bad turning them down, but you're saying he learned trumpeting in the Marines? I didn't get that from the sentence.

Poor Skippy go drink some coffee or something your trolling is weak this morning

Bummer! Just watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly yesterday. I believe Ennio did the music for this movie as well.

Vaya con Dios

I listen to a lot of his stuff when chilling and playing games.

Top Back Refresh