What's new

Orthotics - a shoe makes my foot hurt.

evernoob

Reactionary
Member Number
Orthotics are a crazy maze of selections and options and I just can't be bothered. Surely there are a few options for orthotics out there, reasonably priced, that I could try?

I have high arches and I bought a pair of Sketchers hiking boots to wear around in winter. They are very comfy but they make my feet hurt if I walk a llot and I suspect it's because of my arches.

This was never a problem for me because I've always been skinny, now I am fat. In order to be skinny again, I think I need to walk more, especially in winter when moving around is fun/feels good.

I've heard a couple of you talk about your orthotics or whatever, as a group of people who spend an enormous amount of time abusing their feet, please guide me.

Easiest/cheapest way to:
  • Find out what is wrong? Do I need to get involved with that? I'm fat and my feet don't like it.
  • Find out what I need. What orthotic do I buy?
  • Purchase what I need. Where do I not pay as much as another pair of shoes for them?

Last edited:
Cheap solution is to find out which walmart near you has a Dr scholl's foot reader and have it check the pressure points on your feet. Then buy the appropriate insoles that it recommends.

Expensive solution is to go to a podiatrist and have them do the same thing but a lot more custom and refined.

check out Powerstep and Spenco insoles. they are about $30 a pair and are in between the Dr. Scholls and going to the Podiatrist. I've used both and like them.

my neighbor is a retired NBA trainer and my 9 and 12 y.o. sons do yardwork for him. He has them using Powerstep Protech insoles in their athletic shoes for cross country, soccer, baseball, basketball, etc and they love them...but they are about $75 a pair.

something i noticed, is that i don't need insoles with the Keen shoes i'm currently wearing compared to other shoes i've had...

The green Superfeet under the insoles that comes with the boot help me.

Anything memory foam does not provide support.

Get real hiking boots.

All shoes hurt my feet with my crazy high arches. I was off the top of the foot reader at wal mart. Chiro will send off for custom insoles for you. Has to be a, "pay me $25 cash and I'll crack you" chiro, not the, "give me your insurance, a $40 copay and seem me 3x a week" chiro. I've gotten custom orthotics from 2 chiros and have been happy. The kind you step in the cardboard box full of flower foam and it makes a mold clear to the ankle, then they ship it off. $75 I think. I went from crippled at 8 hours on concrete all day to able to do 14 hours again in the shop. I spent HUNDREDS in different boots and cookie cutter insoles. The custom orthotics did it.

Are the sketchers arches or heel height dramatically different than your everyday shoes? Sometimes that difference is what fawks you up.

Funny you mention that, I wore my Thorogood work boots with a heel a couple days this week for the first time in months. Hips are all out of whack. I transfer my insoles shoe to shoe to no net effect on my feet but position is a big consideration without orthotics.

Are the sketchers arches or heel height dramatically different than your everyday shoes? Sometimes that difference is what fawks you up.

Yeah, they are. And my toe knuckles are making deep indents on the inside of the Sketchers. My other shoes have a lot more arch to them... hence the theory that it's my arches not being right.

That and me being fat.

I had some luck with a franchise called Foot Solutions.

I had put on some weight, and gotten a new pair of nice looking Keens, I'd only worn Merrells for at least a decade prior. I have crazy high arches too, and noticed my new Keens didn't offer the same arch support my tried & true Merrells did. I didn't think much of it, fast forward about a month of wearing the Keens everyday, and I developed plantar fasciitis in my left foot.
That SUCKED.

I tried all the home remedies, night splint (total waste of time, and loss of sleep), massage and ice were only temporary relief. I finally went to my GP, confirmed plantar fasciitis, didn't offer much help, other than suggesting I go to a decent shoe store, like some have already suggested. Doc told me if one of the running shoe stores couldn't help me out, I'd wind up with custom orthotic insoles.

I went to the shoe store my GP suggested, they did a lot of measurements, watched me walk, and suggested some shoes to try. Also found out I've been wearing the wrong width shoes my entire life.

Shoe store put me in a pair of Brooks Ghost, they were comfortable, and helped a lot with the plantar facsiitis, but 6 months of wearing those Brooks everyday, I hadn't fully recovered, and I'd worn out my expensive Brooks. I went back to the shoe store that helped so much initially, and commented how disappointed I was to only get 6 months out of such expensive shoes. They seemed to think that was about normal.

I talked to the GP again, and he suggested I do orthotics, probably should have done that to begin with. My GP actually suggested Foot Solutions.

I went to Foot Solutions, got my feet measured in just about every possible way, from multiple instruments, and had custom, expensive, orthotic, insoles made. I also got some super cushy Croc style shoes to wear around the house.

After about 6 months in my orthotics my plantar fasciitis had mostly healed, with only some minor discomfort first thing in the morning, I was back to wearing Merrells for the past 3 years, swapping my orthotics into whatever shoes I'm wearing that day.

Fast forward about 4 years, I've lost about 30 lbs since then, still wearing my orthotics or crocs and the plantar fasciitis is gone.

I'm still getting new Merrells roughly once a year, I don't think they hold up as well as they used to. I can't get any New Balances to last more than 6 months, and the Brooks that cost 2-3X more than New Balance, while maybe more comfortable, don't last any longer. I did recently get a pair of Asics and like them so far, time will tell.

I also dumped Merrill’s for Keen and had to go back to Merrill’s.

I can’t wear ANYTHING else.

Very wide feet and high arches.

3 pairs a year. They ain’t what they used to be.

Went to the podiatrist and had custom insoles made last year. My feet feel much better, my hips don't hurt, and, best surprise of all, my back pain all but disappeared. Cost me about $1000 in total. Was money very well spent, I haven't felt this good physically in years. All with no surgery, which was what I was facing for foot pain. I have only one pair of insoles at this time, so I mainly wear just one pair of boots. It will cost me about $250 for each pair of insoles for other shoes/boots. About to pull the trigger for some insoles for my ski boots.

Last edited:
Go see a podiatrist. I suffered with bad feet from when I was 14 until 43 because I didn't know that your feet aren't supposed to just hurt. Get actual orthotics for YOUR feet, yes they cost more but they are worth every yankee dollar that you will spend.

i had a buddy that was sponsored by SuperFeet. He gave me a pair of the green insoles and they did wonders. I then lost some weight, and suffered a little bit with other shoes and i feel like my arches went to a natural state and its been great ever since.

I’ve got super high arches too and wear ASICS that fit me. Not every model does. Also I wear Ecco dress shoes and used to wear Merrell hiking shoes and they went to crap so now I’m wearing keene. I’m very particular about shoes and sketchers are prob the worst fitting Ive ever tried.

I’ve got super high arches too and wear ASICS that fit me. Not every model does. Also I wear Ecco dress shoes and used to wear Merrell hiking shoes and they went to crap so now I’m wearing keene. I’m very particular about shoes and sketchers are prob the worst fitting Ive ever tried.

How are the arches and width on the Keenes?
y Merrill’s from July are already toast.

High arches, wide feet.

Thanks!

Skechers with memory foam fixed my wifes plantar fasciitis and foot pain after fancy insoles from a doctor didn't. I had a pair that was really comfortable and told her about them. They look like cross trainers and have pretty thick firm memory foam insoles. :shrug:

I used to swear by Keen's until one day I was out hiking and my knee decided it didn't like them anymore. I think it's the drop that bothers me, ended up switching to Alra's and been better in them, but still wonder if there is something else out there.

How are the arches and width on the Keenes?
y Merrill’s from July are already toast.

High arches, wide feet.

Thanks!

im nearly a double wide or whatever and the normal Keene sizes fit really well.

I think merrel sold out to the Chinese. I’ve worn the jungle mocs for years prob like 10 pairs and the last pair I sent back. Fit horrible and quality was worse.

im nearly a double wide or whatever and the normal Keene sizes fit really well.

I think merrel sold out to the Chinese. I’ve worn the jungle mocs for years prob like 10 pairs and the last pair I sent back. Fit horrible and quality was worse.

This is what happened with my Sketchers that are causing the problem. They are cheaper and feel cheap and stiff with no support. Same thing with my New Balance white Grandpa sneakers, they are definitely lower quality than the ones I had 10 years ago, but still ok and better than my Sketchers.

My Patagonia hiking sneakers are almost perfect but they blew out at the toe after 300,000 miles, I wish they would last forever. Patagonia doesn't make shoes anymore.

Top Back Refresh