What's new

Original Rover V8 engine swapping

Why couldnt you put a LS400 Lexus V8 in(aside from adapters) ? All aluminum V8 (400lbs ish) with 250-300 HP depending on year. Early models were forged internals and could handle boost to 500hp stock internals, fuel aside.

Why couldnt you put a LS400 Lexus V8 in(aside from adapters) ? All aluminum V8 (400lbs ish) with 250-300 HP depending on year. Early models were forged internals and could handle boost to 500hp stock internals, fuel aside.
Because if you're going to do all that work you might as well do a 4.watever Modular and get the same results for a fraction of the price and with a fraction of the time spent tracking down all the parts.

As much as I love the 1UZ I'm with arse_sideways on this. Stateside there's plenty of cheaper and arguably better options. Space/height may also be and issue with going from a fairly compact pushrod engine to a quad overhead cam.

Hell if your going to stick a motor in it I would love for someone to come up with a way to put the 4.4 Jag V8 from the LR4 into a D2.
That motor is bullet prove, makes decent power for the platform and will last several 100 k miles. I had one with 270k on it.
Not sure this would be possible with the front indy set up on the LR3.

Off to look up a Jag 4.4......

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 8.10.55 AM.png

Just went this route myself this last spring and its working well. I gave the rover motor a look but landed on the same info posted about reliability issues, where as the UZ engine family has a better reputation. ~350lbs give or take and 300hp stock (3UZ VVTI) really wasnt that hard to adapt to the needed items. pretty inexpensive conversion compared to simular hp/weight options in my book

52550636303_727dd886ad_k.jpg 6FC59934-00F0-422D-AC3D-B4849D57C62C by Joey Stokes, on Flickr

That looks great. How do you like it so far?

Which engine did you go with? The 3UZ?

Are you using a stock ECU or a stand-alone?

That looks great. How do you like it so far?

Which engine did you go with? The 3UZ?

Are you using a stock ECU or a stand-alone?
Honestly I’m liking it! I am using the OE JDM 3UZ ecu that has been re mapped which has it running very snappy with a bump in hp. There’s small things being worked out but it’s served but has served me well thus far.

Top Back Refresh