Latest photos

Group events

Irate Motorcycle Group.

Oregon plated dirt bikes?

toyotajeep

Member Number
Loc
Oregon
So....this is a somewhat contested topic. I have heard of grandfathered in statements about bikes that are older that are already plated and stay that way. There's the story of the guy who drove to Lakeview and plated a 2017 YZ250 and then got asked by Salem for the plate back. Then there is the MC vs. MV in one of the boxes on the title. Blah blah......

I bought a 2001 KTM 520 EXC that has been plated since 2001. Has an off-road kit on it with all the lights my modern bike has. I think it is MC which was the "better" code or something.

I will be transferring the title this week and may license it. Is it likely that they will want the plate back? I think it will go through just fine but you never know.

Likely be running in through Bend as I am going to be up there.

Just kinda want to see what is up and be aware. If I can't keep it plated it isn't the end of the world, but I would like to.

What are your thoughts and experiences with this?

what does the title say?
It has a plate number listed. Says 2001 KTM Style is listed as MC. I think it will go through, probably helps that it is listed as having a plate now.

I vaguely remember there being something about the 8th number of the VIN. But....this is all old thoughts that weren't pertinent when I was reading them.

It is an older original Oregon title from when it was new so it hasn't been altered or switched since 2001.

Does it say dirtbike or motorcycle? I believe that is the deciding factor

MC. This is in the box. No mention of dirt bike anywhere on it.

I’ll get some pics up later today even though it’s old, it’s a pretty cool machine. Came with super Moto wheels, a big Clark tank, etc. quite clean.

Those were good bikes.

I had an 02. That was a solid bike for the most part. :smokin:

1696177501714.png

I think you are good on the title then. I have been wrong before though:laughing:

I'm 99% certain that it has to have been sold and titled by the original dealership as street legal, not converted after the original sale. In my 30 seconds of Google searching I couldn't find any info on a US market factory street legal EXC in 2001. But... if the original dealer did the conversion and the original title was street legal you may squeak by. Maybe.

You could invite the man into your life, call the main Salem DMV office, and have them check the VIN for legality.

Another option is creative titling from another state. Not sure if WA would work for that, especially with the sales tax and residency BS.

I vaguely remember there being something about the 8th number of the VIN. But....this is all old thoughts that weren't pertinent when I was reading them.
I think that started in 04 when Komifornia stopped give plates for converted bikes.

I think it may have been converted when it was new. This guy liked to spend a lot of money and all of the conversion stuff looks a little older and kind of OEM. As far as I know the only factory RFS KTM that was 50 state legal was 2007.

I will have to go dig through the receipts. It’s kind of a cool bike it came with electric start.

Another weird thing is I was scanning the manual last night, and there was mention of street legality on the EXC but I don’t think that would hold water.

For instance, just looking at the supermoto wheels they look like they’re off of a 560 SMOR. They’re polished and not aftermarket looking.

I've had one kicked back and know two people that have also had them kicked. Local will pretty much do what ever you ask them too from my experience, Salem then catches them and kicks them.

I've always wondered if it is more of an audit thing where they do not catch everyone though because I know a couple people that have stuff, that was way more questionable than mine, stick?

I really sucks to own a street legal dirt bike here. Their are fairly few truly legal options and because of that even used they are way more money.

I have found that shopping in markets where conversion is legal the factory street legal stuff doesn't seem to hold its value as well. It sucks to shop that far away but I've gotten far better prices in the Seattle area and Idaho.

I'm 99% certain that it has to have been sold and titled by the original dealership as street legal, not converted after the original sale. In my 30 seconds of Google searching I couldn't find any info on a US market factory street legal EXC in 2001. But... if the original dealer did the conversion and the original title was street legal you may squeak by. Maybe.

You could invite the man into your life, call the main Salem DMV office, and have them check the VIN for legality.

Another option is creative titling from another state. Not sure if WA would work for that, especially with the sales tax and residency BS.
I am not involving Salem at all on my end. I am switching it into my name and may try and register it. Worst case, I will have a cool dirt bike and move on if they are non compliant. The PO registered it through 2019 so it was recent.

I didn't buy it for the plate or the SuperMoto stuff. I bought it for the bike. The other stuff was a bonus. I would like to have it on off road for sure, but not a deal breaker.

I'd like a KTM 500 but I will likely wait for that one.

I've had one kicked back and know two people that have also had them kicked. Local will pretty much do what ever you ask them too from my experience, Salem then catches them and kicks them.

I've always wondered if it is more of an audit thing where they do not catch everyone though because I know a couple people that have stuff, that was way more questionable than mine, stick?

I really sucks to own a street legal dirt bike here. Their are fairly few truly legal options and because of that even used they are way more money.

I have found that shopping in markets where conversion is legal the factory street legal stuff doesn't seem to hold its value as well. It sucks to shop that far away but I've gotten far better prices in the Seattle area and Idaho.
I agree on that one. Out of the area is better if you can find what you need. Some people won't travel but to me $200 in gas and I get what I want it is worth it. Lots of people around me down here won't drive 50 miles....silliness.

Here it is. I have only got a few miles on it but it is fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0992.jpeg
    IMG_0992.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0987.jpeg
    IMG_0987.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
I always loved that dual header pipe:smokin: have you been around those bikes any?

I always loved that dual header pipe:smokin: have you been around those bikes any?
I briefly owned a 96 or so Husaberg that was RFS powered. Harder to start but a good ride. I have a 2000 380. But never owned an RFS KTM. I like it so far. I can see how the Super Moto stuff could get you in trouble in town. Feels like a teenager on a BMX bike....

Just remember on those bikes to run the chains looser than you would on anything else. And be careful with that oil screen on the bottom. Its at a stupid angle and has probly already been cross threaded a couple times...

I decided to not post up until I got a few facts.

So......I went to the DMV. It has a plate and is titled in Oregon. He asked me if I wanted to update the tags while I was there. I said of course and he handed them to me.

My guess is three things, but this is a conjecture on my part:

1. I think the MC instead of dirt bike on the title helped.
2. It is so old that I think it was converted at the dealer honestly.
3. It had a plate already.

We will see....if I get a letter I will post up. But for now I am legal.

Just remember on those bikes to run the chains looser than you would on anything else. And be careful with that oil screen on the bottom. Its at a stupid angle and has probly already been cross threaded a couple times...
Good to know. Thank you. I had read about countershafts wearing out etc. I will keep an eye on that.

Top Back Refresh