What's new

Opinions for shipping with LTL freight for a business

Gatorgrizz27

Member Number
I own a finish carpentry company and currently only do local jobs, but I’ve been working on developing a bar cabinet I’d like to sell online. The whole thing would fit on a standard pallet and be 36” high, and weigh about 150 lbs, or it could be shipped as 2-3 smaller/lighter packages.

I’ve been researching shipping options as most of the places that sell furniture and similar stuff online offer either free or really low flat rate shipping somehow. Obviously they can ”subsidize“ part of it by just rolling it into the price, but I’m worried about how much it’s going to vary as I’m in N FL.

Shipping quote as one pallet from here to TX (average geographical distance) from Uship.com was $537, as two packages it’s $330. To Washington (furthest possible geographical distance), it’s $886 from the same carrier (Southeastern), but there is one bid at $487.

I’m shooting to price these cabinets starting at $1,750, so a $400 + shipping bill would be a deal breaker for a lot of people. If I could find a way to get the average price down to $200-$250, I’d just add half of it into the price and then charge a flat $99 shipping fee, knowing some will cost a little more, some a little less.

Is it possible to get decent discounts setting up an account with a certain carrier, or even UPS/FedEx? I’m not really expecting a volume discount as these will be one piece at a time going to different locations. I’ve just started researching this, but need to come up with a workable plan, even if it gets revised several times.

I‘m not interested in doing knock down/RTA on this version, that will come later on.

You need to contact LTL carriers such as Saia, ODFL, Southeastern, etc. Because you haven't started selling and shipping yet, you don't really know what kind of capacity you need, ie 1 a month or 100/mo. The more you ship out, the better your rate.

Yrc. Consistently the cheapest ltl I've found for ltl. Going to have to pick up and drop off at a terminal.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Looks like the nearest YRC terminal is about 30 minutes north of me. Wouldn’t be the end of the world to drop them off there once a week or every other week. These would be sold with basic included features plus customer selected upgrades, so I don’t need to ship them out the same day they are ordered.

The Amazon hub here is brand new and right next to my old shop, which is likely where these things would be painted and crated. Not really sure how the custom options would work through Amazon, it seems like the stuff there has to have its own listing for every single combination.

I’d planned on receiving orders through my website, I wouldn’t be opposed to Amazon but don’t think there’s a way to redirect to my site and then have them fulfill it?

My dad works in freight forwarding. I don’t know much about it but his rates through LTL carriers like Saia and Southeastern are a lot less than someone off the street. so try setting up a commercial contract and see if the rates change. Or you can partner with a freight forwarder in your area and use their account. Their rates would be cheaper than yours they charge some for their service but often times due to their volume and relationship it is still less that what you would pay.

Old dominion and XPO are the two best imo at allowing no damage. Their drivers actually come in and inspect the pallets before loading. XPO will not accept a damaged pallet off the dock. Ymmv

I drive for Saia, once you get things up and running, an account rep can work with you on costs. For people that use us consistently, they get some breaks. I'm sure that's the same everywhere. I never asked when I was with Southeastern.

I've been at Saia for 18 months. Maybe its the region I'm in (some break bulks are better run than others), but overall we are consistently complemented on our lack of damage and timely arrival. I'm sure in the network there are some fuck ups. But as a city driver making deliveries, I don't need to deal with claims very often.

Yrc, Xpo, Estes according to my customers break more shit. Again, ymmv.

Packaging is key. Do not skimp. When palletizing, don't throw one or two wraps of shrink, one or two nylon bands on it and expect it to ride cross country.

Corner protectors, cardboard flats, good quality pallets, banding in both directions, all will help ensure a better travel experience.

Wish you were closer to me, I sell pallets, but I give good ones and cardboard flats to small bizs all the time.

Old dominion and XPO are the two best imo at allowing no damage. Their drivers actually come in and inspect the pallets before loading. XPO will not accept a damaged pallet off the dock. Ymmv
The xpo drivers will fuck shit up. I can't count how many times I've seen a trailer that looked like a bomb went off inside it

I don't know what world you live in but I deal with visits from both daily. Those two are the least give a fuck bunch I've ever seen. Xpos guys can't drive and old Dominion has everything loaded by some fuckstick on a forklift who only knows where the gas is and not the brakes. Everything gets slammed into oblivion

I've been at Saia for 18 months. Maybe its the region I'm in (some break bulks are better run than others), but overall we are consistently complemented on our lack of damage and timely arrival. I'm sure in the network there are some fuck ups. But as a city driver making deliveries, I don't need to deal with claims very often.

You guys and Peninsula are the easiest drivers to work with around here. :beer:

Had been using Central Transport and to be honest, I dont even want to see one of their trucks on the property again.

I drive for Saia, once you get things up and running, an account rep can work with you on costs. For people that use us consistently, they get some breaks. I'm sure that's the same everywhere. I never asked when I was with Southeastern.

Yrc, Xpo, Estes according to my customers break more shit. Again, ymmv.

Packaging is key. Do not skimp. When palletizing, don't throw one or two wraps of shrink, one or two nylon bands on it and expect it to ride cross country.

Corner protectors, cardboard flats, good quality pallets, banding in both directions, all will help ensure a better travel experience.

Wish you were closer to me, I sell pallets, but I give good ones and cardboard flats to small bizs all the time.

Thanks for the info, I’m not looking forward to dealing with packing, especially since it seems nobody wants to actually work any more. It could be a great gig for somebody that’s not the brightest or big on pushing themselves to learn new skills.

There are a few pallets a week stacked by the dumpster at my new shop, and the Sherwin Williams here was trying to get rid of quite a few pallets a few years back. Looks like U-line sells recycled ones for $20.

Thanks for the info, I’m not looking forward to dealing with packing, especially since it seems nobody wants to actually work any more. It could be a great gig for somebody that’s not the brightest or big on pushing themselves to learn new skills.

There are a few pallets a week stacked by the dumpster at my new shop, and the Sherwin Williams here was trying to get rid of quite a few pallets a few years back. Looks like U-line sells recycled ones for $20.
Like everything else, getting it ready to ride takes materials ($$$$) and time ($$$$), that's why I think many shippers skimp out. :homer:

I'd cruise marketplace and Craigslist when you're ready for pallets, can find some free, or search out a pallet yard in your area. They usually sell for much less than uline.

I sell for 4-10 a piece as my side hustle, but if you were on my route, especially if a customer, and not a dick, I'd bring you some for free. :laughing: Lots of businesses give them away, HVAC folks get stuff in, but don't ship out.

The xpo drivers will fuck shit up. I can't count how many times I've seen a trailer that looked like a bomb went off inside it
depending on location, that is every trucking company in the country.
I have never had one stay great for any length of time.

I drive for Saia, once you get things up and running, an account rep can work with you on costs.
unless you have an account set up, trucking companies will rape you.
we currently get about a 65-80% discount from published rates from most companies.

Like everything else, getting it ready to ride takes materials ($$$$) and time ($$$$), that's why I think many shippers skimp out. :homer:
so much this.
if you value your product, spend the time to protect it during transit.
I just built a 48 x 48 x 24 crate to ship some items to Utah
cost me $94 in material at Home Depot. it will have 40K worth of product in it.
the last thing you want to deal with is a claim from a freight company.

Top Back Refresh