What's new

ONX for hunting

rockmup

El Hefe
Member Number
Loc
Greenwell Springs LA.
Who uses it ? I used to scour public records for land owners, property lines etc. Mark up paper maps and all that.

I can honestly say I'm impressed.

I have used it along with a range finder to figure out property lines before dropping into a canyon. It's handy for that sorta thing.

I have also seen multiple OHV trails on onX that weren't even close to being legal, so be careful with that..

I get the property lines aren't exact, not even the countys are 100% correct either.

I fully understand about the 2 track/4wd stuff not always being right. I wish it was better @ showing gates.

No, its not 100% correct but its way better than the old way of doing things and I like that I can add and remove layers on my phone

FYI last time I used it, it was automatic renewal. That shit bugs me more than it probly should

As Steve said in both posts. Unlimited number of assholes rutting and trashing tracks that are not road, not trail or anything . .. . except OnX shows them :flipoff:

It can be very accurate in terms of location. I tested it and it showed me on my property line at the gate, then on the other side, a mere 3-foot step. It was that accurate at that location. Other places, who knows. Very useful in that you can ox in areas of your choosing and download to your tablet or phone. Then track from there. What does a year cost these days, the base hunting model or offering ?

It’s accurate on my property in regards to the property boundary with state ground.

I use it, but not the app. I bought one of the SD cards for a Garmin GPS. No subscription BS and the land I hunt isn’t likely to change hands I don’t think.

For wheeling, Avenza is the best app IMO. You can download pdf maps for free and it geo locates you on them.

I use it for work to get a general accuracy for property lines. I have been using it for hunting for a few years. Good for finding new areas to access and poke around in.

I like the fact they throw money at opening access for the public.

Chances are very good that they were at one time. Not onX fault.
Fault the idiots

No. It is entirely OnX fault. If they dont know what it is, or its status, they should omit it and get it the fuck out of there. They overlay a google map and digi fuck any line or rut that shows from satellite that meets their criteria and slap 4x4 or road on. And so they show as public roads, private driveways and illegal off road tracks in my case where they erode out and scar the land for centuries. OnX enables the idiots. Rant off. :laughing:

I dont need it anymore for hunting as I have it figured out in my area. They could do a better job of accurately limiting their shit to legal trails and roads.

I like it, but as mentioned already, the property lines are not exact. My property is shifted about 30-40' from the actual lines.

I used it when it let you use a lot of the functions for free. Fairly accurate hen I marked hunting locations, rubs, scrapes, etc. Then they wanted pay to play. I did it for a year, but went with the lowest subscription and they all but deleted all of my saved info. Thankfully I knew where most of those spots were. Then they upped the price again. I get it, they want to make money, but all of the info they provide is available on the county tax assessors website for free. I can use my garmin gps and do the same thing with a little research into the area I'm going. And I sure as hell wouldn't trust them for property lines in SE Oklahoma. that's a good way to get shot and never found.

Top Back Refresh