What's new

Online Job Search

woods

I probably did it wrong.
Member Number
Kind of had the rug pulled out from under us. Wife got canned due to the C19. Keep getting told they want her back, but there's a difference between want and can. People keep telling us that "unemployment pays so much now", but that's a very last resort for us. We'd rather work for less than stay at home for more. Sucks too because we were on quite the high note for awhile.

Indeed.com used to be good. Now it seems its just jammed packed with all these work from home scammy places and US Navy Nuclear Submarine Tech listings.

I know generally it can be a good idea to just hand a resume around at places that you'd like to work. But it'd be nice if there was somewhere I could poke around and see what's available in the area.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Why wouldn't you use unemployment? Some moral issue?

Not using unemployment is crazy. Collect it while you fine a new job like its intended for.

Iunno. Doesn't sit right with us. If 100% cannot find a job at all, then ok we'll use it. But if there's work out there then we're working. We look at unemployment as a handout. We don't accept handouts.

Ziprecruiter has been good lately. Also try your local craigslist. Last two jobs ive had i got through CL. Replying to all the other places i was getting 1/50 return calls eve for stuff i was qualified for. On CL i get a call back 100% of the time if im qualified for the job.

Never even consider CL. I'll look there for sure.

I've had pretty decent luck looking on Indeed and LinkedIn. Maybe it just depends on the field of work.

I've had pretty decent luck looking on Indeed and LinkedIn. Maybe it just depends on the field of work.
I used to use Indeed, but man its really stuffed full of crap now.

It's not a handout, she's paid into it.

What does she do?
IT help desk type of stuff. Pretty basic, but she was exactly what they were looking for. They've pretty much closed shop now and no idea when things are going to flip around.

I'll check that out.

I just don't care for the whole receiving a check and not working deal. That's something I'd lose sleep over.

Oh and to qualify as a Nuke in a boat that goes under water, you will need to have a fairly high level of intelligence.

You're thinking of it wrong. Look at it like this. Unemployment is insurance against the partial or full loss of employment. You pay for it just as you do with your truck, house, motorcycle insurance. You wreck your truck you would get insurance to take care of it right? Same with the job no shame in that at all.

One job search tool not mentioned yet is Linkedin. I keep a somewhat dormant profile there and still get legit offers from time to time.

IT help desk type of stuff. Pretty basic, but she was exactly what they were looking for. They've pretty much closed shop now and no idea when things are going to flip around.

Where do you live?

Glassdoor, Ziprecruiter, CareerBuilder, LinkedIn (this requires some effort to build/keep up), Indeed, Dice, Monster, Jobing, The ladders. All of them take some 'technique' to navigate skillfully. Some are better for certain industries/job grades than others.

I keep my resume hot and while fielding a dozen calls a day does get old sometimes, I always know what I'm worth, get some great opportunities, and could pretty much up and move any part of the country I want, anytime.

edit: add Robert Half for IT stuff. (I'm in IT as well but a bit up the ladder)

Last edited:
Financed by the employer, not the employee.

It's all part of your overall cost . My cost is probably 185k a year. ( I don't know the exact number, but I can promise you, my employer does). out of that my paycheck is only part of it. then you have the payroll tax, insurance, 401k matching, etc.

I don't draw a line between employee and employer it's all one pile of money.

Top Back Refresh