What's new

Once a Postal 67 800 Build

LScout800

Active member
Joined
Jun 10, 2020
Member Number
1937
Messages
41
Forgot I had a build over here. Probably should update it lol. Anyways I installed a yj 15 gallon tank behind the rear axle. These tanks are the same as the CJ-7 tanks, just the fuel pump hole is different. I wanted to put a suburban fuel pump in it, so I extended the sending unit for the fuel pump by welding on some brakelines, then cut the hole on the tank bigger to accept it.
20210403_144955.jpg
20210402_122900.jpg

The way the tank mounts is pretty simple. I welded some angle between the framerails in the rear that the skidplate bolts up to.
20210422_234655.jpg

The tank fits up there nicely, and clears the axle at full bump no issues. For fuel lines I used the fittings and nylon flex lines from a suburban I found in a junkyard. I used some union meant for fuel line repair and some replacement hard tubing for everything else. I figured all these part were designed to work together they might as well work just fine for the high pressure setup on the 5.3, and they were much cheaper than buying an fittings.
20210508_231900.jpg
 

LScout800

Active member
Joined
Jun 10, 2020
Member Number
1937
Messages
41
I built a hydraulic ram mount on the axle for the steering. It uses a cheap 8 inch ram, and this little bracket I bought from rough stuff.
20210605_173029.jpg

The axle side simply uses two tabs on the pan hard mount to mount the other side of the ram. I will port the steering box and run some 3/8 lines I had laying around from work.

While on the subject of steering I also built some brackets to hold the steering column in place.
20210402_115647.jpg

The other side uses the stock location from the dash side to mount it, and the dash is an old scout 80 dash I had laying in my scrap heap.
20210402_115707.jpg

You can also see the transfer case shifter I built by modifying a k2500 one.
 

LScout800

Active member
Joined
Jun 10, 2020
Member Number
1937
Messages
41
The steering column uses a zj collapsible column for both safety, and because it allows me better clearance as the box does not have to be in line with the column. I simply cut it down, welded the two cut sections back together, and ground the steering shaft to match the zj column. I also welded on a nut to the end of the shaft to keep you from ripping out the steering wheel.
20210402_115636.jpg

I also figured out my pedal assembly and master cylinders. I welded a plate onto the front of the stock mounting box, then drilled holes to bolt the master cylinders for the clutch and brakes onto it.

20210823_113616.jpg


The pedal assebely with linkages installed to the master cylinders.
20210823_113623.jpg
 

LScout800

Active member
Joined
Jun 10, 2020
Member Number
1937
Messages
41
I also installed the clutch on the back of the engine, and since I had tried to reuse the old scout crossmember, it looked really janky and would not let me get to the driveshaft, so I built a new one with some 1 1/4" tubing I had from work.
20210904_185026.jpg

It clears the driveshaft just fine and looks a whole lot better.
20210905_125519.jpg

I also built a new core support using some tubing and angle.
20210823_113634.jpg

The angle has nuts welded underneath to mount the fenders.
20210825_201450.jpg
 

LScout800

Active member
Joined
Jun 10, 2020
Member Number
1937
Messages
41
I built some bumpstops for the front end. The driver side is real simple, it mounts a poly bumpstop I got off amazon for a few bucks right underneath the frame. It ends up striking the upper radius arm bushing.
20210905_204519.jpg

The passenger side is a bit more complex. It runs a little shelf off the side of the frame to mount the bumpstop, which lands on a little plate welded to the top of the panhard mount.

20210905_204755.jpg


The bumpstop compresses another inch or so from here, and the rest of the shock is used in articulation.

The limiting strap mount on the axle side is a tab welded onto the c behind the shock mount. It also serves as extra support for the shock mount.
20210905_221022.jpg

The frameside mount is a little tab welded to the frame.
20210913_190928.jpg

I also welded on the brackets from ruffstuff meant to serve as reservoirs mounts to the front of the shockhoops in order to mount the reservoirs.
20210913_210005.jpg
 
Top